Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

The other part of me wants to say F the veteran WR and draft JSN at 15 and then Mingo in the 3rd. 

Watson-JSN-Doubs-Mingo 

I like a lot of the mid-round receivers in this draft. Wouldn't mind if we took JSN and then two of Mingo, BFW and Iosivas.

It would be a young room, but also the most athletically gifted WR room in the league.

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This year he should be 3a/3b. My desired WR core would be JSN/Watson as 1a/1b and Corey Davis/Doubs as 3a/3b. That's a pretty deep group in your top 4. Toure is your 5 and either Melton or rookie 2 as your 6 if they keep 6. 

TE group would still need some work but that's a good cast to help Love and ultimately have JSN/Watson/Doubs as his boys for the next 3 years minimum.

A top 4 of Watson/Doubs/Davis/JSN would be crazy good, but the reality is that we're not going 4 wide.  So someone is going to be on the bench barring injury.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If Bijan Robinson wasn't in the draft, sure.

I don't know if you are lying or statisticing right now, CWood...

Also, just got back from my first Cards game of the year.  We won, though I don't think I have ever seen that many walks given up without giving up runs.  Also the pitch counter thing is glorious.  The game was like 2:30 for 9 innings, and there were not any boring lulls.  

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

A top 4 of Watson/Doubs/Davis/JSN would be crazy good, but the reality is that we're not going 4 wide.  So someone is going to be on the bench barring injury.

All would have roles. Davis is basically a Lazard type replacement and JSN is a super version of Cobb. 

Plus, both Watson and Doubs missed some games last year so their injury histories will be something to watch anyways. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't see an issue with a scenario of Doubs and Davis being on the field at different times while JSN and Watson terrorize defenses on a regular basis.

I believe in Doubs, but I don't know if I see him immediately commanding an every-down snap share this season. At least, it would be presumptuous to assume he will without seeing how he's grown in TC.

I'm not overly concerned about surrounding Love with too much talent.

2 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I don't see an issue with a scenario of Doubs and Davis being on the field at different times while JSN and Watson terrorize defenses on a regular basis.

I believe in Doubs, but I don't know if I see him immediately commanding an every-down snap share this season. At least, it would be presumptuous to assume he will without seeing how he's grown in TC.

I'm not overly concerned about surrounding Love with too much talent.

The Packers pretty much exclusively played in the 11 (50%) and 12 (37%) formation last year.  The Packers really won't have 4 WRs on the field, so unless there's an injury someone's going to be on the bench.  I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker, but it's definitely a factor.

3 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Well said. I feel exactly the same way about Doubs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers pretty much exclusively played in the 11 (50%) and 12 (37%) formation last year.  The Packers really won't have 4 WRs on the field, so unless there's an injury someone's going to be on the bench.  I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker, but it's definitely a factor.

I recall the WR Corps. doing a surprising amount of rotation throughout last season.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

All would have roles. Davis is basically a Lazard type replacement and JSN is a super version of Cobb. 

Plus, both Watson and Doubs missed some games last year so their injury histories will be something to watch anyways. 

I have had enough booze to hot take all of the forum right now...

JSN is what Greg Jennings would have been if Michigan hadn't pulled his scholarship, like a bunch of idiots.  I don't think he is the same kind of player that Cobb is, JSN is Reggie Wayne or Greg Jennings.

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The other part of me wants to say F the veteran WR and draft JSN at 15 and then Mingo in the 3rd. 

Watson-JSN-Doubs-Mingo 

I am half in this boat, myself.  I kind of want to have an older WR just for the experience factor.  At the same time, I want any rookies, and our second year guys to get a lot of targets.  Sink or swim time, boys.  I want the veteran player to be an extra coach or mentor type.  Get them to stop playing video games at 11 o'clock and go to bed.  Don't go to the bar on Friday night, your weekend is Tuesday night.  If you had a big drop, get back into the game, don't dwell on it.  That kind of stuff.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not saying you're wrong, but if we have the following snap shares:

Watson: 90%

JSN: 80%

Davis: 60%

Doubs: 50%

Then that would be an average of 2.8 WRs on the field per snap. And I could live with those as our anticipated snap shares entering the season before accounting for injuries.

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have had enough booze to hot take all of the forum right now...

JSN is what Greg Jennings would have been if Michigan hadn't pulled his scholarship, like a bunch of idiots.  I don't think he is the same kind of player that Cobb is, JSN is Reggie Wayne or Greg Jennings.

I don't either, I just talking about 1 to 1 replacing the guys we lost. We lost 2 guys so I don't think it's a stretch to replace both. 

JSN has a more diverse game than Cobb. I see Jennings in him too. Smooth operator.

• Like 1