Who Do We Bring Back Next Year? [Cap Discussion] [Jernigan Contract Pg. 4]

JayWood2010

13 minutes ago, Phire said:

I think the RB position is going to be our budget position. So you can kiss the idea of a 3-down workhorse star player at the position goodbye in my opinion. We're obviously expending significant resources to OL and DL. That's the correct move. And if we bring back Alshon, that's a big contract there too.

The big question is what happens when Carson Wentz gets his franchise QB contract.

I think we'll continue to run the RB position like the Patriots do. That is, you don't have one star player there, but you're 3-4 players deep and any one of them can be called upon to perform. That's literally what we've been doing this year, just with a bunch of bigger backs. 

In the salary cap era there has to be a position or two or three that suffers from a lack of funding. Runningback makes the most sense. They get big contracts because they become household players but they also have the shortest shelf-life in the sport and 95% of them fall off a cliff as they near 30 years of age.

Its not even just that there isnt a workload back.  What the Eagles are doing is working.

Legarrette Blounte - 561 yards, 4.6 Average, 2TD

Corey Clement - 232 Yards, 4.3 Average, 4TD

Jay Ajayi - 168 yards, 11.2 average, 1TD                  (633 yards inlcuding the Dolphins)

Carson Wentz also has 224 yards rushing, and the Eagles are the number 2 team in rushing yards with an average of 144.6 yards a game.  

Eagles arent the only team that is doing a RB as committee as you noted.  Patriots do it, though they use their running backs as pass catchers more, and Saints also do it with Kamara and Ingram.  Notice that Adrian Peterson a workhorse RB did not work with that rotation, and they got better without him.

I like the idea of getting another RB in the draft as Blount will not be an Eagle forever, but Eagles does not need Barkley.  If anything we already have Jay Ajayi which is a great talent.

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't think Blount is going to fit into our budget next season honestly. 

As much as I like Blount, he will prob be gone.  It will then be Ajayi, Clement, and Smallwood (Or a drafted RB).  I dont think Pumphrey will improve that much going into next year.  I know they wanted him to replace Sproles, but it just wont happen in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't think Blount is going to fit into our budget next season honestly. 

That's a no-brainer, IMO he was always a 1-year stop gap from the moment he signed that late in Free Agency. 

IDC Id hate to see barkleys career go down the drain by going to CLE or facing against him in NY. Ajayi is all good but what happens when those knee issues come into play, clement i love the way he runs, get barkley and boom  no RB need for years to come. Would pair great with clement and ajayi and can be #1 when ajayi goes down

2 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

IDC Id hate to see barkleys career go down the drain by going to CLE or facing against him in NY. Ajayi is all good but what happens when those knee issues come into play, clement i love the way he runs, get barkley and boom  no RB need for years to come. Would pair great with clement and ajayi and can be #1 when ajayi goes down

Saquon better get himself involved in some kind of off-the-field scandal if we're hoping to draft him. Besides something like a Sidney Jones pre-draft fiasco, I see no way Barkley makes it out of the top 5. 

2 minutes ago, 808 said:

Saquon better get himself involved in some kind of off-the-field scandal if we're hoping to draft him. Besides something like a Sidney Jones pre-draft fiasco, I see no way Barkley makes it out of the top 5. 

So long as it's not New York or Cleveland, I don't mind wherever he ends up playing.

Just now, Phire said:

Cleveland would be dumb to draft a RB with their pick. So he's pretty much a lock to go there.

Their scouting department doesn't feel that he'll be top 20 so...we'll go with the Haul 2.0

Jernigan's contract details have emerged.

Philadelphia will get excellent salary cap relief from Jernigan in the first year of the extension, worth up to $49.394,560.

According to Over The Cap, Jernigan's cap number is just $5 million for the 2018 season (the first year of his four-year extension). Jernigan will receive a base salary of $3 million with $2 million prorated in the contract. 

Jernigan's cap number increased this season with the extension. He previously was making $1,017,284 prior to the season, but that number has gone up to $3,394,560. 

Here are the numbers for each season of Jernigan's contract:

2018 -- Cap Number: $5,000,000 (Dead Money: $11,000,000)

2019 -- Cap Number: $13,000,000 (Dead Money: $6,000,000)

2020 -- Cap Number: $14,000,000 (Dead Money: $4,000,000)

2021 -- Cap Number: $14,000,000 (Dead Money: $2,000,000) 

The Jernigan extension is team-friendly toward the Eagles. They could cut Jernigan after the 2018 season and save a tremendous amount of cap space, should they choose to do so. 

With Jernigan taking a pay raise this year and less money next year, that leaves room for the Eagles to sign other free agents to extensions like Alshon Jeffery and Nigel Bradham. The Eagles will have the cap space to sign one of those players (or both) thanks to Jernigan taking less money on the front end of the deal. 

Kudos to Eagles general manager Howie Roseman for his mastery of the cap.

3 minutes ago, Phire said:

The Jernigan extension is team-friendly toward the Eagles. They could cut Jernigan after the 2018 season and save a tremendous amount of cap space, should they choose to do so. 

With Jernigan taking a pay raise this year and less money next year, that leaves room for the Eagles to sign other free agents to extensions like Alshon Jeffery and Nigel Bradham. The Eagles will have the cap space to sign one of those players (or both) thanks to Jernigan taking less money on the front end of the deal. 

Kudos to Eagles general manager Howie Roseman for his mastery of the cap.

Love it. Well done Howie, as usual. 

Howie-Roseman.jpg

Archived