Who Do We Bring Back Next Year? [Cap Discussion] [Jernigan Contract Pg. 4]

JayWood2010

14 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Can you break that down for me because that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

CBA, Article 16, Section 6, Paragraph 5: Proration: The total amount of any signing bonus shall be prorated over the term of the Player Contract (on a straight-line basis, unless subject to acceleration or some other treatment as provided in this Agreement), with a maximum proration of five years, in determining Team Salary and Salary.

let's assume a player signs a 5-year, $30 million contract, $10 million of which are the signing bonus. For salary cap purposes, that contract could look as follows:

Sc_-_5_yr_contract_medium

The player gets his $10 million signing bonus immediately, but the full amount of the signing bonus doesn't count against the cap immediately. Instead, it is prorated over five years. In this example, that adds $2 million to the players cap amount for each of the five years of his contract.

Hope that helps if not you can google NFL contracts its way too much to try to move over here. 

No I think I understand, but I'm saying his base salary is probably going to be well above 5/year, I wasn't even talking about his signing bonus. Like for Kendricks, his 2017 base salary is 4.85 mil but his cap hit is 6.6 mil with everything included. So if Bradham's base salary is over 5 mil (and it will be)how does his cap hit come out lower than that?

Next year some 4-3 OLB's base salaries:

Jamie Collins- 10.65

Anthony Barr- 12.3

Lavonte David- 8.75

Bruce Irvin- 8.

K.J. Wright- 7.2

Sean Lee- 7

Kendricks- 5.85

I don't think there's any way they bring back Bradham at a cap hit under 5 mil no matter how magic Howie is.

edit: And again if this is your forte and I'm still totaling missing how this will work, that's ok.

1 hour ago, 808 said:

Is it safe to say he was the right pick over Earl Thomas, or are we still sour over that one?

Now? I'd take Graham. But for the first few years? Thomas. Our secondary really could have used the help. Glad we have Jenkins and McLeod though, can't complain at this point. Circumstances have changed and right now it's good to have B-Rex.

As a note on Curry, he LEADS THE TEAM in tackles for loss with 7. I know we're paying him a lot and we have a terrible cap situation on the horizon but I'm not sure the team views him as expendable. I think he sticks around but who knows. 

I cant use Jamie Collins as an example bcuz his contract changes cuz of IR so its not correct. as well as Anthony Barr is on his Rookie Contract w. a 5th year option but heres a few examples of the 1st year breakdown of these contracts. You can keep year 1 down on a new contract

(Pro-Rated Bonus) Mychal Kendricks signed a 4 year, $29,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $8,000,000 signing bonus, $16,096,060 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,250,000.  His breakdown. 

YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2015 Contract details by year 25 $896,060 $2,018,081 $100,000 $3,014,141 $12,264,141 $9,033,302($9,033,302)

(No Signing Bonus) Lavonte David signed a 5 year, $50,250,000 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including $25,556,418 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,050,000. In 2017

YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  

)  
2017 Contract details by year 27 $6,000,000 - - - $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000($21,889,443)

(Front Loaded Roster Bonus) Bruce Irvin signed a 4 year, $37,000,000 contract with the Oakland Raiders, including $19,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $9,250,000 

YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY ROSTER WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2016 Contract details by year 29 $6,250,000 $6,000,000 $250,000 $12,500,000 $19,250,000 $12,500,000($12,500,000)

3 hours ago, 808 said:

Is it safe to say he was the right pick over Earl Thomas, or are we still sour over that one?

I still say slight edge to ET, Thomas despite all the games missed lately is a perennial all-pro safety. I like BG he's been consistent but never an all-pro caliber player at his position.  

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

No I think I understand, but I'm saying his base salary is probably going to be well above 5/year, I wasn't even talking about his signing bonus. Like for Kendricks, his 2017 base salary is 4.85 mil but his cap hit is 6.6 mil with everything included. So if Bradham's base salary is over 5 mil (and it will be)how does his cap hit come out lower than that?

There are no guarantees that his base salary will be higher then what it was last year, Players will take lower base salaries to get a bigger signing bonus/Pro-Rated bonus and guarantees. 

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

Next year some 4-3 OLB's base salaries:

Jamie Collins- 10.65

Anthony Barr- 12.3

Lavonte David- 8.75

Bruce Irvin- 8.

K.J. Wright- 7.2

Sean Lee- 7

Kendricks- 5.85

I don't think there's any way they bring back Bradham at a cap hit under 5 mil no matter how magic Howie is.

edit: And again if this is your forte and I'm still totaling missing how this will work, that's ok.

You can backload a contract to get the average per year up and keep the year 1 cap number low. That is how Jernigan's contract is structured.

Archived