The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

On 3/21/2023 at 11:18 AM, NYRaider said:

We're going to pay him elite RB money when most teams that have given big RB deals are currently regretting it, after he had one year of elite production. That's my biggest concern with him, is he really going to be able to sustain what he did last year?

10mil is not elite money, since coming into the league Jacobs has been 8th, 8th, 15th due to injury and 1st in yards. 10mil a year would make him the 8th highest paid RB.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:31 AM, riceman80 said:

We lose Jacobs and our offense won't look much better than our defense. Pay the man.

meh. I would sign Kareem Hunt for cheap. Wait for an injury and deal Jacobs for a high pick in 2024. Save the cap space and add another pick for OL or defense. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

RBs have little trade value. Jacobs is not a special back with an elite skill set. Teams know they can get backs anywhere and get production. 

Tag this season, if he repeats, tag again.... let walk in FA and take your comp pick. Rinse repeat. 

RB's definitely aren't valued very highly but comments like this always make me laugh. 

The top 10 rushers in the league last year RB:

Josh Jacobs (Former 1st round pick)

Derrick Henry (Former 2nd round pick / $12.6M APY)

Nick Chubb (Former 2nd round pick / $12.2M APY)

Saquan Barkley (Former #2 overall pick)

Miles Sanders (Former 2nd round pick)

Dalvin Cook (Former 2nd round pick  $12.6M APY)

Christian McCaffrey (Former #8 pick / $16M APY)

Travis Etiene (Former 1st round pick)

Aaron Jones (Former 5th round pick / $11.5M APY)

Kenneth Walker (Former 2nd round pick)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

RB's definitely aren't valued very highly but comments like this always make me laugh. 

RBs are devalued but I believe Jacobs this year could net a nice return.  If he has another great year next but we give him 350+ carries next year we might nor get much in a trade.  

51 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

RBs are devalued but I believe Jacobs this year could net a nice return.  If he has another great year next but we give him 350+ carries next year we might nor get much in a trade.  

I personally doubt it. I don’t really see too many RB needy teams and it was a deep FA class but no one got a deal that broke the bank. 

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

What's your point? I said you can get get running backs anywhere and produce. Those guys you mentioned all are in the top of the league in carries. Mostly bellcow backs

You can get value on guys like Stevenson, Allgeier, Pollard, Pierce, Ekeler, Robinson, etc. who produce similarly for a fraction of the cost. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

What's your point? I said you can get get running backs anywhere and produce. Those guys you mentioned all are in the top of the league in carries. Mostly bellcow backs

You can get value on guys like Stevenson, Allgeier, Pollard, Pierce, Ekeler, Robinson, etc. who produce similarly for a fraction of the cost. 

My point is that the top 10 RBs in the league last year in terms of production were all former 1st/2nd round picks and/or getting paid a ton of money. So the notion that you can just plug and play a RB from any round in to match Jacobs production is silly. 

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I personally doubt it. I don’t really see too many RB needy teams and it was a deep FA class but no one got a deal that broke the bank. 

Depends on what you think is nice.  I think we could get a at least a 2nd.  Young with only one season of big usage and he led the league in yards.  Adding on seasons of big usage will only drop his value.  This year will be his peak value.  If he gets banged up this year expect his value to drop.  True it is a good FA class but the draft class is lacking.  After Bijan you might not see another back until the 3-4 round.

16 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Depends on what you think is nice.  I think we could get a at least a 2nd.  Young with only one season of big usage and he led the league in yards.  Adding on seasons of big usage will only drop his value.  This year will be his peak value.  If he gets banged up this year expect his value to drop.  True it is a good FA class but the draft class is lacking.  After Bijan you might not see another back until the 3-4 round.

He's third in carries and total touches since he came into the league behind only Dalvin Cook and Derrick Henry. This is definitely the peak of his value but are you going to give up a premium pick and pay him a top 5 deal knowing that? Gibbs will be a 2nd round pick too.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's third in carries and total touches since he came into the league behind only Dalvin Cook and Derrick Henry. This is definitely the peak of his value but are you going to give up a premium pick and pay him a top 5 deal knowing that? Gibbs will be a 2nd round pick too.

He may be 3rd but his touches are still low.  This was the first year he broke the 300 carry mark.  The danger is from him having back to back 350 +/- carries.  Gibbs could be a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick.  He is fast but needs to get stronger.  Every RB besides Bijan has serious question marks.

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He may be 3rd but his touches are still low.  This was the first year he broke the 300 carry mark.  The danger is from him having back to back 350 +/- carries.  Gibbs could be a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick.  He is fast but needs to get stronger.  Every RB besides Bijan has serious question marks.

So if his touches are low does that mean only Dalvin Cook and Derrick Henry have had high usage over the last four seasons? I'll bet money that Gibbs goes in the 2nd round. Regardless though there are a ton of veterans on the market like Fournette, Zeke, Hunt, etc. Why give up a 2nd and a huge deal for Jacobs when you can get someone similar for a fraction for the cost and keep your picks?

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

My point is that the top 10 RBs in the league last year in terms of production were all former 1st/2nd round picks and/or getting paid a ton of money. So the notion that you can just plug and play a RB from any round in to match Jacobs production is silly. 

Maybe not match it in terms of rushing champ. But give a RB 340 carries in a season, he's going to produce a lot of yards. 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Maybe not match it in terms of rushing champ. But give a RB 340 carries in a season, he's going to produce a lot of yards. 

I think there's a reason the top guys are getting the touches that they do and why mid-round and cheap dudes don't get that same type of workload.