Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

This will be done soon. As my sauces said by tomorrow, latest the weekend. They are just haggling over the deal. To be so public about visiting Rodgers etc that is the sign that the Jets want him bad and that Rodgers is very open to it. If it was speculative it would be very hush hush. This is all now the foreplay to max out the media coverage for Rodgers and the Jets. They want this to be the news story that domaintes this weeks media coverage and the major headlines before the start of FA. The Rodgers story can't get lost in all the early big free agent signings.

The Jets are just trying their luck to lower the price. Hence all the news stories. The Jets also need this deal done before FA starts, as if it really looks like this ain't happening they have to pivot to Jimmy G, or some other dude before they get taken off the market.

The reality is there is no one else out there for the Jets and the Packers know it. My guess is what happened they offered Packers a good package prior to meeting Rodgers and now are trying to claw back some draft picks and make the deal less sweet.

Anyone saying the Packers don't have the leverage they certainly do. Rodgers knows he is unwanted, the Packers will play the 'we don't mind him coming back, he is our guy an MVP' card. But the Jets, if they don't get Rodgers really are up the creek without a paddle.

This deal is also great for Rodgers. Raises his brand by being in a big market. His gf lives in NY. He is with a head coach that knows how to run a defence and basically he will have the keys to the offence with Hackett as his buddy. He no way wants the Raiders, that's why there hasn't even been a whisper from them, this is not an open bidding war. Adams has already snubbed him once, McDaniels is a clown and Rodgers knows it, he doesn't want to fit into his offence. Rodgers wants the Jets as bad as they want him!

The next time we see or hear from Rodgers it will be with him holding a Jets shirt at the podium being thankful for his time in Green Bay and that this was soemthing he wanted to experience and it was right time for Green Bay to move on and see what they have in Jordan who he wishes the best to as he such a great dude. 

Then between Monday and Friday next week we'll hear that Merc Lewis, Cobb Lazard and Booby T are all signing for the Jets.

Edited by Brit Pack
  • Like 1

Just looking at this now, the Jets are so geared up for an all in appraoch. They could make some or all of these roster moves, clear up a shed load of cap space and go out and spend like crazy to build around Rodgers for a Super Bowl push:

CJ Mosley – $17m base salary – extend or add void years and convert to signing bonus – he has two years on his deal

Laken Tomlinson – $12m base salary – extend or add void years and convert to signing bonus – he has two years on his deal

Carl Lawson - $15m base salary, $300k dead cap hit, last year of deal, either extend or cut

DJ Reed - $10.5m base salary, cutting would save $8m, probably won’t but could add void years and convert to signing bonus

Jonathan Franklin Meyers - $11.4m base salary, cutting him saves $11m, but he was pretty good, convert to signing bonus his base salary

Duane Brown - $9m base salary, he is 38 years old, cut him and save almost $5m

Corey Davis $10.5m base salary, last year of deal, cut him and only $666k dead cap

Jordan Whitehead - $10m cap hit, cut him and save almost $7m, or extend him as he is in the last year of his deal

Quinnen Williams in last year of his deal and has a cap hit of $9.5m, he’ll be extended

Braxton Barrios in last year of deal, cut him and save $5m or extend him

P.S I'm sure the Packers bring this up in negotations, that the Jets can easily handle any Rodgers cap ramifications. They are basically saying to the Jets we are giving you the best shot at a Super Bowl in donkeys years. If they free up all this cap and have no QB what's the point, they are primed to make a run now!

Final post in the trilogy here. Promise.

The Jets have to make the deal for Rodgers very soon, cos if they do get him and are all in with him, they want to be players in the early days of FA. No point signing players in FA and not having the QB. This deal going down very soon. Sauces!!!

I had to come back for more.

Check out the FAs available for LT or RT:
Orlando Brown
Donovan Smith
Taylor Lewan
Mike McGlinchey

Then check out DT/DE
Fletcher Cox
Javon Hargrave
Yannick Ngakoue
Dre'Mont Jones

You need to be in early to the party to nab one or two of those guys

Then bring back Beckham to the Big Apple and this Jets team with Rodgers is loaded. They don't need draft picks they need to immediate impact FAs!

12 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That would be stupid on the Packers part.  Usually compensation is basically agreed upon before someone gets to talk to your player.

That's how eager they are to facilitate something that takes them off the hook from having to bow to Rodgers if he were to decide to stay. Putting up zero roadblocks to anything that leads to Rodgers willingly accepting a trade. The Packers are being very accomodating in every way. Unfortunately the same goes if Rodgers says Green Bay is where he wants to be. Everyone who wants him to move on should be hoping the Jets bow to every demand Aaron has. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Could live with that deal too.  However disagree Rodgers will be taking the Jets to the playoffs.  Think they would make it to the divisional round.  So #43 this year and a mid to late 20's next year.  Be OK but think they should throw a player into the deal.  Jets have a very good team just need a QB.  Rodgers will make them relevant.  

Not that you can read too much into it but saw the video of the Jets brass returning from California.  They didn't look all too happy gotta be honest.  Didn't look like they got what they were looking for.  Kinda how they would look if Rodgers jerked their chain.  This whole deal could still fall apart.  Boy wouldn't that suck.  I'd have to apologize to Mr Anonymous. 

The looks on their faces screamed "what did we get ourselves into?". They're so far down this road, they pretty much have to pursue this to the end, but I have little doubt the Jets were taken back by some of Rodgers' questions and demands. He didn't suddenly stop being a "complicated fella".

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Anyone saying the Packers don't have the leverage they certainly do. Rodgers knows he is unwanted, the Packers will play the 'we don't mind him coming back, he is our guy an MVP' card. But the Jets, if they don't get Rodgers really are up the creek without a paddle.

I'd argue that there isn't much leverage all the way round. The Jets may feel they really need Rodgers but there are no other keen suitors for him that are making themselves known, so little competition for his services. Equally, the Packers (I think) are pretty committed to letting him go, but there isn't much of a bidding war going on for his services. So neither side has the kind of ammo to ask for the moon or get away with offering a pittance. Because of  the lack of strong leverage from either side, I think any unrealistic offers/counteroffers should be nixed fairly quickly, with a fair (as seen by both sides) deal being agreed before too long.

9 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The Jets may feel they really need Rodgers but there are no other keen suitors for him that are making themselves known

The reason I feel they are not making themselves known is that the desire by both Rodgers and the Jets is incredibly strong. Both are set up for a playoff push and all the pieces in terms of coaches are in place. This is the Jets opportunity if they don't take it they have very poor to no real QB alternatives. The Jets are far more desperate for Rodgers than we are to get rid of him and Rodgers is equally desperate to join the Jets as this is a legitimate shot for a Super Bowl compared to what Green Bay can offer with it's cap situation.

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I can see you really believe this. Me, I think they are about even.

Yup :)The Jets window is now. They can generate the cap space. They are QB away from being competitive again. There is f'all in FA QB wise. Packers gave Rodgers this contract, they can live with the contract. The potential opportunity cost of losing Jordan Love is the issue for the Packers if Rodgers hangs, less so the contract.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Yup :)The Jets window is now. They can generate the cap space. They are QB away from being competitive again. There is f'all in FA QB wise. Packers gave Rodgers this contract, they can live with the contract. The potential opportunity cost of losing Jordan Love is the issue for the Packers if Rodgers hangs, less so the contract.

Rodgers knows ge becomes an instant legend in NY and possible GOAT if he can lead the Jets to a SB victory...their first since Namath. He wants that legacy. 

• Like 1