• Marvin Harrison
    • Michael Irvin
    • Cris Carter
    • Steve Smith
    • Tory Holt
    • Antonio Brown
    • Julio Jones

On 1/12/2018 at 10:58 AM, Super4 said:

Don’t be naive.  Brown doesn’t become the same player he is today in the NFL 20 years ago.  Fitz probably stays the same player because he’s just unbelievably consistent.. but Cris Carter would be a 120 catch a year guy in today’s NFL.

Better hands and route running than anyone I’ve ever watched play this sport.  Ever.  Including Rice.

Route Running? Chris Carter an all-time great?!

Don’t be naive.  Brown doesn’t become the same player he is today in the NFL 20 years ago.  Fitz probably stays the same player because he’s just unbelievably consistent.. but Cris Carter would be a 120 catch a year guy in today’s NFL.

Better hands and route running than anyone I’ve ever watched play this sport.  Ever.  Including Rice.

He might not be the same player he is today, 20 years ago, but to dismiss his extraordinary talents with Route Running, Hands (not as good as Carters, but still one of the best), and the biggest...his work ethic, would have still made him a great WR. But you are right; he wouldn't have near the numbers because they just were not there to be had, in most cases.

And I agree that Carter would be a consistent 100+ reception/season WR in today's NFL.  He was so 'silky smooth' in his movements, and yes, his hands were automatic.  those that were not around to watch him truly missed out.  You all owe it to yourselves to go watch a highlight reel of him, and then just know that this was him every game.  To me, I think he was a lot like Brown, but a bit bigger.  Not the fastest, or biggest, but could get open, and was money if the ball got near him.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

Two "current" names I don't see on this list are Hopkins and Odell Beckham Jr. You can feasibly add both to this discussion and have valid reasons for both.

Two "older" names I also don't see on this list are Andre Reed and Sterling Sharpe. Both were up there with Rice/Carter/Irvin in terms of dominance.

The lack of love for Steve Smith is also disheartening. Longevity, consistent production along with some elite traits you couldn't teach.

I tend to agree, but where do you draw the line??  What about Hilton, who, if not for Luck being out, is one year removed from the Receiving Yds crown. Evans??   I just think AB and Julio seem to be the consistent top 2 of this short 5 year era. 

Reed and Sharpe were greats for sure, but again, you have to cut it off somewhere.

15 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

He might not be the same player he is today, 20 years ago, but to dismiss his extraordinary talents with Route Running, Hands (not as good as Carters, but still one of the best), and the biggest...his work ethic, would have still made him a great WR. But you are right; he wouldn't have near the numbers because they just were not there to be had, in most cases.

And I agree that Carter would be a consistent 100+ reception/season WR in today's NFL.  He was so 'silky smooth' in his movements, and yes, his hands were automatic.  those that were not around to watch him truly missed out.  You all owe it to yourselves to go watch a highlight reel of him, and then just know that this was him every game.  To me, I think he was a lot like Brown, but a bit bigger.  Not the fastest, or biggest, but could get open, and was money if the ball got near him.

I couldn’t agree more about Carter, and in regards to Brown, it’s not that I take away from how amazing he is... but as you said the league was so different that his opportunities for what he does well wouldn’t be anywhere near the same.

If Cris Carter played in the Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers era, he would have had a legit opportunity to be the best to have ever done it.

22 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Route Running? Chris Carter an all-time great?!

Are you being condescending?  Because this is a pretty well known fact.  There was almost nothing he CC couldn’t do at an elite level... except maybe running vertical.

You make it sound like Carter played in the 70s or something.  

Give me one legitimate reason why Brown wouldn't be as good now as he was back then.  Maybe he wouldn't be putting up the same high yardage numbers, but only because he'd more than likely be on a team that passed less.  There is no reason to think his skills would be diminished though.  Route-running, physical skills, hands, etc.  Those traits wouldn't just magically disappear. 

What Brown has been able to do and how consistently he's been able to do it, he's one of the best players I've ever seen.  No doubt in my mind he would succeed in any era.

On 1/15/2018 at 1:10 AM, iknowcool said:

You make it sound like Carter played in the 70s or something.  

Give me one legitimate reason why Brown wouldn't be as good now as he was back then.  Maybe he wouldn't be putting up the same high yardage numbers, but only because he'd more than likely be on a team that passed less.  There is no reason to think his skills would be diminished though.  Route-running, physical skills, hands, etc.  Those traits wouldn't just magically disappear. 

What Brown has been able to do and how consistently he's been able to do it, he's one of the best players I've ever seen.  No doubt in my mind he would succeed in any era.

Again, not taking away from anything that Antonio Brown does extremely well.  He's the clear cut best WR in the NFL right now, and an all-time talent.  Great route-running, strong hands, competitive fire and determination.  The guy is simply amazing.

But the WR position is entirely predicated on QB play, and while we can only speculate, I firmly believe his productivity I think says alot about his era and the continuity of playing in it.  Cris Carter played the earlier parts of his career in a league where running the football took center stage.  There is no doubt in my mind had he started his career in the 2000's (late 90's at worst), his already prolific career numbers would have been other-wordly.

Archived