2022 GDT 7-8 Steelers visit 10-5 Ravens

Steeler Hitman

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Robinson looks good so far but Spillane is a FA, as is Bush and Jack counts against the cap at about $11.5 mill, if they cut him they save $8 mill.

any chance they keep Jack and have him and Robinson start  next year, or maybe this year? When will Jack be back? 

3 hours ago, August4th said:

but they do have hands........something that was rare(minus troy) in the secondary in the past.

I think the coaching has put them in position to catch more balls despite not having a true #1 CB. They have improved in number without a doubt. However, there is still plenty of room for improvement.

th?id=OIP.BkQgDPhW8W1A7HKw2yIRKQHaD4&pid

Off of the top of my head, I can think of six to eight more catchable balls that they dropped this season. They need to sleep with a jugs machine and I don't mean a sexy two legged one. Our DB's had harder hands than Roberto Duran. "Hands of Stone"

4462685d22176e61791e47384ff0ddb0

Cam graduated Summa *** Dropsie from the Ike Taylor School of Challenged CB's

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think they are going to do one of those "fake" extensions with him to lower that cap hit to the $15-18mil range.

Not a huge fan of that due to his age but if they were ever going be able to do those void years etc etc, the next few years is the time to do it.

If it allows them to grab a solid player in FA at a position if need I’m ok with it.

21 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

th?id=OIP.BkQgDPhW8W1A7HKw2yIRKQHaD4&pid

Off of the top of my head, I can think of six to eight more catchable balls that they dropped this season. They need to sleep with a jugs machine and I don't mean a sexy two legged one. Our DB's had harder hands than Roberto Duran. "Hands of Stone"

agree, if DB's don't have the jugs machine, how do they get better at catching?

about the INT count this season, I would expect that to be a higher count if Watt plays most of the season healthy and if we had leads more often and the opposition passed more playing catch up etc.  I still feel as if the secondary can get more INT's for some reason. 

The secondary deserves credit for the teams success.   The Maulet Int last week was nice. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 3rivers said:

agree, if DB's don't have the jugs machine, how do they get better at catching?

Football is your craft.  I said the same about Shaq with dree throws. If he practiced and put some passion into that aspect of the game, he could have been the all time leading scorer. 😜 I loved Ike Taylor as well and he was very solid in coverage for a few years but never got the recognition he could have (and actually deserved) because he couldn't catch a cold, standing butt naked in a blizzard in Alaska, standing next to an igloo😁 

about the INT count this season, I would expect that to be a higher count if Watt plays most of the season healthy

They had opportunities and missed some game changing INT's that could have made the difference while Watt was out.  They did not play good complimentary football in that aspect. No argument of the impact of that a healthy TJ Watt brings to the defense in terms or sacks, hurries, fumbles, and INT's. 

You lose a superstar, you just can't replace him with anyone. However, if you get a chance to capitalize on errant throw or the ball being on the ground, etc. you have to capitalize. The Patriot game where Cam missed an easy INT was potentially a 14 point swing if he holds onto the ball. The next play was a muffed punt that was  fumbled by Gunner.  Against Miami, the defense made great adjustments and the biggest difference in the outcome was that their DB's caught Pickett's passes better than some of our WR's. Our Db's dropped at least four catchable balls that could have changed the outcome of that game.  The first Ravens game at home, Roquan and Queen caught Tribisky passes and we dropped one of Tyler's and missed a fumble recovery.   They caught a lot, but also dropped a lot.  

and if we had leads more often and the opposition passed more playing catch up etc.  I still feel as if the secondary can get more INT's for some reason. 

Yeah, probably a very true statement, but the coaching still had the group in position to make some plays.  I am not a huge fan of Cam Sutton as a starter, but I think he is ideally suited for the #3 slot guy. Arthur Maulet has impressed me as well. I think he is a fiery competitor, has improved his overall game, and has displayed some leadership. I would say that Levi Wallace has probably been the most consistent CB when he is out there. We still need a true CB1 type of stud on this defense. 

The secondary deserves credit for the teams success.   The Maulet Int last week was nice.

Like I said above, I am really likin what Maulet is doing on the field and on the sideline.  If this team can finally get a true #1 and someone who can actually play some solid man to man in coverage. 

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

because he couldn't catch a cold,

did he really try to get better at catching ? I never saw any improvement over the years  but the coverage was usually good and he supported the run really good. 

We still need a true CB1 type of stud on this defense. 

in the draft, who would be your top 5 CB's that you want on the Steelers in 23? 

I am really likin what Maulet is doing on the field and on the sideline.

what is he doing on the sidelines?  The airplane celebration was good too, it would be nice to see a few more to cap off this season

16 hours ago, 3rivers said:

did he really try to get better at catching ? I never saw any improvement over the years  but the coverage was usually good and he supported the run really good. 

That's my point. I don't know what he did or did not do.  It was said that he did. But, like the Shaq analogy, how passionate was he about working on that? 

in the draft, who would be your top 5 CB's that you want on the Steelers in 23? 

I have not started the evaluation process. I know about some of the top or more publicized prospects like: Joey Porter Jr., Kelee Ringo, Cam Smith, Devon Witherspoon, and Brian Branch. However,  I have not delved into who I would like for the Steelers and I like to find the day two gems and three diamonds in the ruff. 

what is he doing on the sidelines?  The airplane celebration was good too, it would be nice to see a few more to cap off this season

He is showing some leadership and swag.

It's going to be interesting how they play their ILB's this week. Yes we need to stop the run (+Robinson), but Stefanski is going to work PA and the MOF (-Robinson). 

Last game Njoku went 9 for 89 and a TD. Cooper did some damage in the MOF too, though that's more thank to our idiotic understanding of how to cover #1 receivers who move into the slot as the #2 or #3 out of base......

The Ravens with Huntly were barely a threat to pass and really only have one target that can do damage. The Browns pose a similar, yet very different threat. 

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

It's going to be interesting how they play their ILB's this week. Yes we need to stop the run (+Robinson), but Stefanski is going to work PA and the MOF (-Robinson). 

I’ll offer up this solution:

Terrell Edmunds should be a dime LBer full time. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

he needs to learn how to play zone

I am less worried this week about him knowing how to play zone as I am in knowing when to play zone. 

Greg Roman is a hell of a run game coordinator, but crap in the passing game. If Stefanski sees an over aggressive run and hit ILB and figures out what packages he can get him in... he may be smiling like he was last game after a play when he knew he got Edmunds on Cooper before they even broke the huddle. 

I really hope Robinson plays this week over Bush, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get as much run. I wouldn't mind seeing Kazee and Minkah as the 2 safeties a bit more in base so they can unlock Minkah in the MOF to take away some of the stuff the Browns wanted to do last game. Then you can have Robinson do his thing and have our best coverage player take away some of that space against a still rusty Watson.