2023 Week #18 GDT 8-8 Steelers vs. 7-9 Browns

Steeler Hitman

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

always go back and forth when it comes to tomlin and his postseason record

I agree with 43/AFF and Warfelg at the same time lol

My thought is, our floor being .500 or better is great....but how long do we settle for our ceiling being an occasional postseason win?

Tomlin is great at keeping this team at a certain level, but he has yet to prove he can put this team over the top.    That doesn't necessarily mean Superbowls every year, but even the years we possibly had a SB caliber roster in the last decade, we underperformed.

30 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So the wins get caveats but not the loses?

@43M pretty much summed up my thoughts…

I want more than just average…the team has been treading water recently…I give him props for not letting the team roll over and die.

Im not getting in a big long discussion about it because we’re not going to change our minds…my mind can change depending on the results of next year(depending upon injuries of course).

• Like 1

looking forward to seeing a post-ben tomlin team in the playoffs. to me, ben is just as much to blame for our potseason troubles as tomlin since 08. Ben gunslinger play cost us too many times in the playoffs. But first we gotta build a postseason team, but signs are pointing to us getting there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

My thought is, our floor being .500 or better is great....but how long do we settle for our ceiling being an occasional postseason win?

Tomlin is great at keeping this team at a certain level, but he has yet to prove he can put this team over the top.    That doesn't necessarily mean Superbowls every year, but even the years we possibly had a SB caliber roster in the last decade, we underperformed.

Sometimes I do think this:

If we weren’t down Bell, Brown, Bryant, and 2/5 the OL back when Payton pulled the give up and get back up non-sack how different would people feel about it. If it were Ryan Clark instead of Ryan Mundy all those years ago how would people feel. 

Personally the year I’m most “distraught” over is the year Shazier had his injury. It was one of the few years our offense and defense was top 10 in DOVA, which is something every SB team has had in common for the last two decades. That year was the window opening and Shazier unfortunate injury closed it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I gotta admit, I was a sucker for thinking Trubs might come in and run a RPO Offense and have a career year. 🤦‍♂️

outside of those 3 bad passes against bal, I thought mitch played well after being bench. I think he's worth keeping around as a back-up at the right price...

6 minutes ago, August4th said:

that jags lose was bad, but with shazier out..I doubt we would of been able to hang with the eagles in the SB.

2018 late season collapse and losing to covid browns left a really bad taste in my mouth when it came to tomlin.

Why? That game started on a bad omen of Pouncey having the worst snap of his career to start the game. Then Ben threw a god awful pick on the very next drive. In 2018 the Browns tie to open the season bothers me much more because if that’s a win, then we win the division everything else the same. That was a crazy year where 10-6 and 12-4 were the WCs. 

Just now, warfelg said:

Why? That game started on a bad omen of Pouncey having the worst snap of his career to start the game. Then Ben threw a god awful pick on the very next drive. In 2018 the Browns tie to open the season bothers me much more because if that’s a win, then we win the division everything else the same. That was a crazy year where 10-6 and 12-4 were the WCs. 

browns offense with back-up linemen had their way against us. we should've of been able to overcome that quick 14 pt hole against a bunch of back-ups whose coach was sitting at home. The whole team looked sloppy most of the game and that's on mike imo 2018 felt too similar to 2009. streak of close loses in games we should of won. really frustrating season.

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And dont forget, 2017 when we lost to the Jags, we should have been the top seed that year, if not for Jesse James catch being overturned against the Pats.

That year royally annoyed me, and its been downhill since.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

browns offense with back-up linemen had their way against us. we should've of been able to overcome that quick 14 pt hole against a bunch of back-ups whose coach was sitting at home. The whole team looked sloppy most of the game and that's on mike imo 2018 felt too similar to 2009. streak of close loses in games we should of won. really frustrating season.

They got away with a lot that game too on the OL. 
That 2018 year is one of the few years 9-6-1 wouldn’t make the playoffs. And like I said, the tie to start the season bugs me much more. 3&9 late in the game with 3:00 left and 1 score lead, and Conner runs the ball rather than put the ball in your QBs hands. 

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

And dont forget, 2017 when we lost to the Jags, we should have been the top seed that year, if not for Jesse James catch being overturned against the Pats.

That year royally annoyed me, and its been downhill since.

2017 was the Shazier injury year too. 

• Like 1