2023 Week #18 GDT 8-8 Steelers vs. 7-9 Browns

Steeler Hitman

7 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

And sure, I'm cherry-picking, here, but the point is, who out there would be able to come in next season for us, and do a better job than Tomlin did this season, without the reigning DPOY for half the season, and Mitch Trubisky as our Day 1 starting QB??

I honestly think if we had any other coach in house we’re 4-13 this year, Kenny doesn’t develop, and the defense is average at best. 

Call me “soft” if you want, but seeing the players so happy for Tomlin to have another winning season shows how much they respect him. The comments from Mason Cole can make you run through a wall. 

Like I said, and kudos for @43M engaging in the convo, but you look at many of the playoff losses lately and what you see is key guys out. Like, Tomlin is a good coach, but you can’t coach around a guy having an all-pro year almost being paralyzed. You can’t coach around your all pro wr, all pro rb, backup rb, and wr2 all being out; along with the refs not blowing a play dead they should have. 

This is one of those years, like the last  three years, there I give kudos to Tomlin for leading a roster who has no business making the playoffs to the edge or into it. Like yes, I find it HILARIOUS that people call us underachieving when I’ve been saying since Ben injured his elbow that it’s time to move on and fully rebuild.

Heck even at the start of the year a lot of comments were “I don’t trust Tomlin with a rookie QB” and by the end of the year at least 3-4 plays a game people said “that’s a vintage Ben like play” and comments are being made about Kenny’s progression nationally when right after the draft those same people called Kenny a bust already. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Heck even at the start of the year a lot of comments were “I don’t trust Tomlin with a rookie QB” and by the end of the year at least 3-4 plays a game people said “that’s a vintage Ben like play” and comments are being made about Kenny’s progression nationally when right after the draft those same people called Kenny a bust already. 

Anyone calling Pickett a bust already need to go look at Josh Allens rookie stats and tape.    It wasnt much better than Kenny.    He was wildly inaccurate at times and made alot of terrible decisions.    Many labeled him as a bust going into his 2nd year.

Does Kenny have the upside of Allen?  No, but few do.    I do, however, think he can be a more clutch version of Tony Romo....and Ill gladly take that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Anyone calling Pickett a bust already need to go look at Josh Allens rookie stats and tape.    It wasnt much better than Kenny.    He was wildly inaccurate at times and made alot of terrible decisions.    Many labeled him as a bust going into his 2nd year.

Does Kenny have the upside of Allen?  No, but few do.    I do, however, think he can be a more clutch version of Tony Romo....and Ill gladly take that.

I’m gonna give a name of who I think Kenny’s career could match. A high end and a low end, and they aren’t names you’ve heard. Tell me what you think. 

Kennys basement is pre injury Chad Pennington. 
Kennys ceiling is Steve McNair

I will go back to Sullivan in The QB room video, KP needs to learn to read defenses better and know his progressions( plus stop that drift to the left in the pocket all the time).  He can make the throws.  He showed in the Ravens game that he can make that outside throw with zip.  Give him a good QB coach and we will have something.

Tomlin should be coach of the year to pull this bunch to a winning season.  How many people on the offensive side start on another team?  At best I had them at 5 wins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I will go back to Sullivan in The QB room video, KP needs to learn to read defenses better and know his progressions( plus stop that drift to the left in the pocket all the time).  He can make the throws.  He showed in the Ravens game that he can make that outside throw with zip.  Give him a good QB coach and we will have something.

Tomlin should be coach of the year to pull this bunch to a winning season.  How many people on the offensive side start on another team?  At best I had them at 5 wins.

KP didn't drift like that at Pitt or his first start or two.  I think the number of hits he took impacted him, which is why I wouldn't mind seeing some work to the OL.  I think, for a rookie his field vision was what you would expect.  He impressed me with postgame comments about what he saw and the adjustments he made.  Like he made this comment about the GP TD where he commented that it's something he saw on tape that the Saints did first with Brees and then this year against the Steelers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

So if my calculations are correct, we go 14-3 this season if TJ Watt doesn’t get hurt.

Haha....I doubt it, but its safe to assume we would have at least 2 or 3 more wins.

• Like 1

How much credit does Flores get for the defense 2nd half resurgence? We returned to a top 5 defense that was really fun to watch with a dog poop rotation at MLB. 

Do we get another season with him? Obviously if he gets a HC gig he is gone but will he? Does he leave for a pure DC role or was he happy enough in Pittsburgh/loyal to Tomlin for giving him an opportunity when no one else would to stay around for another year in the same role?

Would certainly love to keep him for one more year especially considering we will most likely be using high picks on CB/DL/MLB.

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

How much credit does Flores get for the defense 2nd half resurgence? We returned to a top 5 defense that was really fun to watch with a dog poop rotation at MLB. 

Do we get another season with him? Obviously if he gets a HC gig he is gone but will he? Does he leave for a pure DC role or was he happy enough in Pittsburgh/loyal to Tomlin for giving him an opportunity when no one else would to stay around for another year in the same role?

Would certainly love to keep him for one more year especially considering we will most likely be using high picks on CB/DL/MLB.

I heard rumor that he's only leaving for a HC job.  Tomlin was not the only HC he talked to this past offseason, but Tomlin is the only one who went to ownership and pounded the table to bring him in.  I think he feels like he owes it to Tomlin to stick around.  In fact, he's a guy I wouldn't be surprised if you see them work on seeing to do strange things to keep him in house as a presumed HCIW when Tomlin decides to step away.

• Like 1