2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Taking a break because I was dealing with a death in the family and you using that is even low for you. 

I had no clue it was for a death. Sorry about that.

But I’ll continue to bicker with you with passive aggressive remarks like your last few words. 

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Except it's not.  Eating $40M in dead cap isn't something any team wants.  If you want Rodgers, you're going to have to pay for him.

No way JD is over paying for Rodgers. GB has ZERO leverage here. You can keep Rodgers and his high pay and then you have to sign A. Jones to a top 5 RB money or he is gone. Then you add the fact you have more guys up for FA and you probably want some free momey to sign a FA so your cap is VERY tight. The only other team that has room and wants a 39 year old QB is the Raiders and all signs point to Brady going there. If Brady signs with the Raiders before Rodgers is moved GB is in trouble. You just hope Rodgers calls it a career. GB is not going any where with or without Rodgers. I think the best thing GB gets is a first in 2024. The Jets have options and don't need to make this move. JD has never lost a trade yet. In fact he has ripped tems off the last few years. Expect this to continue with JD. The guy is a savage when it comes to trades.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Other thing regarding Rodgers and money. Is we have no one to pay for the next few years. All Our young talent isn’t due pay days for a few more years. 

I am still kinda fuzzy on his cap hits.  I realize the cap hit for 2023 and 2024 is reasonably low for a starting caliber QB (~16m).  My concern is the cap hell we would be in if:  A)  he retires  B)  he sucks and we want to move on  C)  he is injured.

We should all be very wary of the damage that can occur should he NOT get us the elusive title.  We will then have wasted our youth movement because we will not be able to resign any of them.  Even with the fuzzy cap accounting you seem to believe in.

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

I am still kinda fuzzy on his cap hits.  I realize the cap hit for 2023 and 2024 is reasonably low for a starting caliber QB (~16m).  My concern is the cap hell we would be in if:  A)  he retires  B)  he sucks and we want to move on  C)  he is injured.

We should all be very wary of the damage that can occur should he NOT get us the elusive title.  We will then have wasted our youth movement because we will not be able to resign any of them.  Even with the fuzzy cap accounting you seem to believe in.

I think you have a talk with him and his agent on what can guarantee him not retiring after 2023. If there’s any suspicion, you can’t pull the trigger. I personally think he plays at least 2-3 more years for sure. I can’t see him sucking. He’s shown no signs of that. Injury is the x factor. But he’s about as durable as it gets. I mean the guy played 2/3 of the season last year with a broken thumb. He’s tough.

I also don’t think we stops the youth movement. Let’s just say it’s 2 2nds. For me getting that winning culture and making young guys around him really good is worth that in itself. Add us being SB contenders, I’m for it. At that price.

His 2025 and 2026 dead money is the issue. But let’s say we draft a guy in 2024 to develop. We’d have that guy for let’s say 4 years under a rookie contract at QB. Which helps us big time.

15 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The difference is the cost of doing business. If “competent” QB play would have had the Jets in the playoffs why mortgage your future for a guy who’s almost 40 and will probably only be around a year? Take the younger guy, who’s proven to be able to lead his teams the playoffs without giving up picks. Simple. 

Jimmy is a fraud the sooner people see that the better.  He's a product of the SF system and proof is watching Mr. Irrelevant come in mid season with no snaps and do the exact same thing.  Did everything they could including dumping 3 1sts to move on from him yet he's good enough for us?  Why are we settling for mediocrity?  The window is now with these cheap rookie deals.  If we want to just make the playoffs then just sign White for cheap.  He's essentially Jimmy G without the fortune of playing in SF.

Rodgers is likely playing more then 1 year assuming he doesn't win a ring next year.  Plus in what world is trading for Rodgers mortgaging the future?  A late first round pick in 2024 and a mid 2nd is mortgaging the future?

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

The fact that people would rather shell out 100M+ for Jimmy G to save a late 2024 1st is mind boggling.

It’s crazy. You could swear the way some think that we’re a franchise that always has a good QB and they don’t want to give up picks bc we get the draft and FA right at QB so often.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Safety and LB I’m okay with bringing vets but I prefer drafting our own guys. 

I would love to bring in a LT like Bahktari (sp) but isn’t he always injured?

Bakh tore his ACL at the end of the 2020 season. After numerous setbacks, he finally returned this season, had a few rusty games to start off but started to play like an elite LT again during our run. He did miss most of December after appendicitis surgery. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s crazy. You could swear the way some think that we’re a franchise that always has a good QB and they don’t want to give up picks bc we get the draft and FA right at QB so often.

Rodgers would walk in the door day 1 and immediately be the best QB in franchise history.  He would shatter every single season QB record in 2023 and that is a fact.  

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

The fact that people would rather shell out 100M+ for Jimmy G to save a late 2024 1st is mind boggling.

You keep bringing up the draft pick compensation as the reason some don't want Rodgers.  For many of us it is NOT the reason.  The reason for wanting a younger QB is for duration.  I am not sold on Rodgers lasting more than a year, maybe 2.  I also don't think we are SB bound in that timeframe.  Playoffs - absolutely.

So, to be clear, it is NOT about draft pick compensation.  It is about duration and the potential cap consequences.  And where did you see Jimmy G for $100M?  That sounds insane.