2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

44 minutes ago, xrade said:

But the result is still the same. In this day and age trying to buy a championship rarely works. 

Tom Brady did fine for Tampa too. Stafford for the Rams, Favre with the Vikings, It happens more offten than not. When you have an elite QB for a long time they seem to do well when they leave. 

9 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Tom Brady did fine for Tampa too. Stafford for the Rams, Favre with the Vikings, It happens more offten than not. When you have an elite QB for a long time they seem to do well when they leave. 

True, but we’re Jet fans. **** doesn’t work out like that for this team. However, your point is taken. 

5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Teams have won both ways. It’s often about getting the right pieces by any means. Draft the right guys, spend on the right guys.

is Rodgers still that guy? Maybe, maybe not but it’s a good risk to take. 

To go a step further it matters to what team. We haven’t won in 54 years. So we’re a franchise starved for a SB.

A team like NE doesn’t need to make a huge move like this, like we do. Bc they have a ton of recent success.

I know people don’t like Lamar for the reasons already stated however….

At what point do we look to pivot to Lamar if the AR deal falls through. If AR isn’t a Jet and the Lamar stuff doesn’t work out then I 100% want to draft a rookie 1st round qb and start again.

Sign a vet FA qb like Tannehill if released and draft Richardson is the way I’d go if AR or Lamar fails. 

2 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

@Bobby816 Well Bayern progressed….

Still silence with Rodgers. 1 out of 2 isn’t bad I guess!!! 

Big win for Bayern. Always good to see Mbappe, Neymar, Ramos and co go home early.

I'd have to imagine the Jets didn't want to rush Rodgers, so they likely left just saying here's our pitch and you let us know your decision. But I'd imagine sometime today we reach out to his camp and see that we're not trying to rush you... but we do have to have an answer by the end of Friday. With midday Monday being when teams can start agreeing verbally with players... we have to have a game plan in place if he isn't coming. And we need at least a day or 2 to sit down and think of that plan and strategy.

I think that's more than fair. That'd be giving him all day Wednesday, all day today and needing to get back to us sometime tomorrow. His decision shouldn't take longer than that. 

At what point do we look to pivot to Lamar if the AR deal falls through. If AR isn’t a Jet and the Lamar stuff doesn’t work out then I 100% want to draft a rookie 1st round qb and start again.

Sign a vet FA qb like Tannehill if released and draft Richardson is the way I’d go if AR or Lamar fails. 

If I was in charge I would not go after Lamar. If the Jets miss on Rodgers (my biggest nightmare) I'm going after Jimmy G and Baker Mayfield. Jimmy G is my next option and I would hate to go here but you have no other place to go. I would than start to prepare to draft a QB very high next year and let them sit for a year or 2 and by then Jimmy G will be gone. Now if we get Baker I'm hoping things click with him and build off his time as a Ram. Baker has a cannon but needs better ball placement. I'm a person that loves a QB that can place the ball any where on the field. Baker seemed to have better ball placement with the Rams than ant other one. If Baker does great than you have your QB at a very low cost. If Baker tanks then you go the draft next year and grab your QB high. 

P.S I have said this for a year now. When Arc Manning hits the draft he will be a Jet and be an All Pro  and be a Jet for 15 plus years leading us to many Super bowl wins. It is our turn. 

Lamar is going nowhere.

And here's why

1. The guy is going totally against the grain and doesn't even have an agent. No one is even sitting down and trying to talk to him about a contract. He's getting "advice" from his Mom, that's it. There's a reason no one has even tried to make him and offer through 2 days.

2. He wants a HUGE contract. Now Lamar the player is completely worth a big deal to be one of the highest paid players in the league. What Lamar isn't, is a healthy player that's playing style is suited for a long term deal that guarantees a ton of money.

3. 31 teams besides CLE hated CLE giving Watson a fully guaranteed deal. A fully guaranteed deal wont happen likely ever again. And that's what Lamar is asking for. Even Watson is now about to rework his deal bc of how idiotic it was. It was in essence just a way for CLE to get him over other teams. No team will give Lamar the contract he wants. And BAL is in essence calling him out on it. And they're right.

At the end of the day. Lamar gets 0 offers and signs the last deal offered to him by BAL.

Meaning Lamar isn't an option for us. We don't get Rodgers... we're going a huge tier down and looking at Jimmy G, Brissett, Tannehill (if cut), Minshew, Mayfield, etc.

47 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Jimmy G is my next option and I would hate to go here but you have no other place to go.

Aside from his injury history, which can't be ignored, he is not a bad QB.  He will take us to the playoffs.  However, a decent backup is required.  I'd sign MFW if he is willing to come back a higher end backup money.  Look at it this way, if Carr and Rodgers were never options for whatever reason, we would all be jonesing for Jimmy G.

50 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I would than start to prepare to draft a QB very high next year and let them sit for a year or 2

We should do that regardless of who we sign.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports "there's optimism in the Jets’ organization that they are on the brink" of acquiring Aaron Rodgers. 

Jets officials, including owner Woody Johnson, met with Rodgers in "extensive" talks this week, according to Russini, and Johnson left the sit-down "excited and satisfied" with Rodgers' potential fit in the Jets offense. Russini said the Packers and Jets "remain engaged in conversations about compensation and contract" and that "those conversation already started before the meeting." With the Packers reportedly ready to move on from their longtime quarterback, Rodgers could become a Jet in the coming days -- barring a last-minute change of heart for the mercurial QB. The Jordan Love era in Green Bay seems close at hand, and the Zach Wilson era in New York appears over. 

Welcome to the Jets Rodgers. The best line is the last one. Wilson era in New York appears over. 

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Now Lamar the player is completely worth a big deal to be one of the highest paid players in the league.

I'd argue that.  So many of us forget a contract is about what you can do for me.  Not what you have done.  Lamar is an awesome athlete that added a huge element in the form of running the ball.  As a passer, he is average.  If we feel that his running abilities are diminishing or opposing D's are figuring it out, then he should get average QB money.