2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

All I’m saying is I see what the successful teams are doing and then I see us. And that’s why we’re not in the playoffs year after year. 

I mean the team that won the SB last year brought in a 33yr old QB and it worked. You could argue we have a better set up for long term success than the Rams did last year as well. If Carr (for example” was brought in. He’s 31 with good football ahead of him. We have a young RB room with a guy if healthy is a star in Hall. Continue to beef up that OL. We have young playmakers mixed with very good vets at WR and TE (GW is a for sure #1 WR with good QB play). And an elite defense. All this with still having all our draft picks to continue bringing in talent (unlike the Rams).

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I get what you’re saying. But Wilson while I haven’t given up on him. Doesn’t need to start. And in essence we shouldn’t start him again unless we have to. So to go with your line of thinking what should we do?

IMO is go get a guy like Carr and see what we have with him and continue to build the roster. Signing Carr doesn’t alter the rebuild of youth in this team. And try taking a QB in the misrouted that maybe pans out. I actually wouldn’t even do that this draft with Wilson likely still the “optimism” for us. But see what Wilson does this year as a backup and maybe he even gets playing time from injury or something and shows us something. Where we believe in him for 2024. Who knows. But if he’s on the bench all year. Maybe draft a QB in like the 3rd in 2024 and develop that guy. 

Okay let me put it this way.

Jets think they’re a piece away(QB) and that Zach needs further development so they decide to go get a Quarterback committing a ton of cap space to him while also trading a premium asset, let’s say a 3rd round pick.

Carr is the starting QB with Wilson backing him up and going through his development. Jets go 8-9 and get eliminated in week 18, Carr’s played every game and his numbers are in line with what he did this past season. Woody fires Douglas, Saleh. 

Now we have a QB in Carr we’re probably stuck with for at least another season, Wilson didn’t play so there’s no clue on him whether he’s improved or not, new GM and coaching staff is coming in and we’re starting over. 

Woody saying we’re a piece away means that going out and getting an “upgrade” requires only one single result and that’s playoffs, not just being “in the hunt” in December. And that’s why I’m saying it’s not about Wilson because he’s not gonna play so his development or better yet us seeing it hinges on Derek Carr being good enough to keep this staff in place but not good enough so that we actually play the kid we drafted to play QB. I don’t want to flounder in mediocrity, I rather be awful because at least I know necessary change would come. I’ve said it before I want us to have sustainable success not just a flash in the pan year. 

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean the team that won the SB last year brought in a 33yr old QB and it worked. You could argue we have a better set up for long term success than the Rams did last year as well. If Carr (for example” was brought in. He’s 31 with good football ahead of him. We have a young RB room with a guy if healthy is a star in Hall. Continue to beef up that OL. We have young playmakers mixed with very good vets at WR and TE (GW is a for sure #1 WR with good QB play). And an elite defense. All this with still having all our draft picks to continue bringing in talent (unlike the Rams).

McVay ain’t walking through our door.

53 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Jets think they’re a piece away(QB) and that Zach needs further development so they decide to go get a Quarterback committing a ton of cap space to him while also trading a premium asset, let’s say a 3rd round pick.

Carr is the starting QB with Wilson backing him up and going through his development. Jets go 8-9 and get eliminated in week 18, Carr’s played every game and his numbers are in line with what he did this past season. Woody fires Douglas, Saleh. 

Now we have a QB in Carr we’re probably stuck with for at least another season, Wilson didn’t play so there’s no clue on him whether he’s improved or not, new GM and coaching staff is coming in and we’re starting over. 

Woody saying we’re a piece away means that going out and getting an “upgrade” requires only one single result and that’s playoffs, not just being “in the hunt” in December. And that’s why I’m saying it’s not about Wilson because he’s not gonna play so his development or better yet us seeing it hinges on Derek Carr being good enough to keep this staff in place but not good enough so that we actually play the kid we drafted to play QB. I don’t want to flounder in mediocrity, I rather be awful because at least I know necessary change would come. I’ve said it before I want us to have sustainable success not just a flash in the pan year. 

But why would a good QB led team and us getting adding even more talent through the draft and even FA only have 1 more win than what we did this year? That’s where you’re losing me. For me we add Carr, have an healthy OL and Hall and have other assets to build this team. We’re significantly better. Not a win better.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I mostly agree with this because I think Carr does for us what Tannehill did for Tennessee which is fun because it means playoffs but not great because no Superbowl. However if we bring in a good OC and QB coach and give Zach another chance next season and he's awful, Douglas and Saleh are gone and I just really don't want to start over from the top down. I like JD and I think hiring a new GM that will be as good or better than him are slim. If the situation was, we hire a new OC and QB coach, roll with Zach, he still sucks but JD has one more chance to hire a new coach and draft another QB I'd sign up for that. Especially since next year's QB class looks stacked. Obviously what I think we all hope is a new OC and QB coach revitalize Zach's confidence and develope him to the point he's out franchise QB. I just think the chance of that happening are slim unfortunately.

Edited by Mattmanz

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

But why would a good QB led team and us getting adding even more talent through the draft and even FA only have 1 more win than what we did this year? That’s where you’re losing me. For me we add Carr, have an healthy OL and Hall and have other assets to build this team. We’re significantly better. Not a win better.

Carr's only won 8 or more games 3 times in his 9 seasons in the NFL. 

Projecting the defense to be top 5, OL to stay healthy, Hall to come back on fire after tearing his ACL, Offensive Coordinator to be good and Carr being good enough to lead us to the playoffs. 

I can't see it. 

11 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Carr's only won 8 or more games 3 times in his 9 seasons in the NFL. 

Projecting the defense to be top 5, OL to stay healthy, Hall to come back on fire after tearing his ACL, Offensive Coordinator to be good and Carr being good enough to lead us to the playoffs. 

I can't see it. 

So your just looking at stats? You’re better than that.

Has Carr ever had a top defense? This was his 1st year ever with a run game pretty much in recently memory. 2 things that this team is built on.

Has a QB we’ve ever brought in consistently thrown for 20+ TDs and has a huge track record of winning close games (I believe I read somewhere he has the most game winning drives since he’s entered the league).

I totally respect your opinions…… but I think you’re hanging on to that thin thread of optimism with Wilson too long on this one. Let him be the backup. But when you said that you think adding Carr would be 1 win more maybe. That showed that you’re just a Carr hater. Which is ok. But just say that. I just don’t think they’re evidence to support that. A guy that throws for 20+ TDs and usual twice the amount of TDs to INTs every year. And is 31… by no means for me is a stop gap or average. 

14 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:
  • Derek Carr is literally better than any QB we have had. We wouldn't be seen as a joke at the QB position, we would have a top 10-12 guy. Which could be enough to win. 

We won 7 games with no QB. Easily we’re consistently a 10+ win team with him here for 3-5 years.

36 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So your just looking at stats? You’re better than that.

Has Carr ever had a top defense? This was his 1st year ever with a run game pretty much in recently memory. 2 things that this team is built on.

Has a QB we’ve ever brought in consistently thrown for 20+ TDs and has a huge track record of winning close games (I believe I read somewhere he has the most game winning drives since he’s entered the league).

I totally respect your opinions…… but I think you’re hanging on to that thin thread of optimism with Wilson too long on this one. Let him be the backup. But when you said that you think adding Carr would be 1 win more maybe. That showed that you’re just a Carr hater. Which is ok. But just say that. I just don’t think they’re evidence to support that. A guy that throws for 20+ TDs and usual twice the amount of TDs to INTs every year. And is 31… by no means for me is a stop gap or average. 

It's really not about Wilson but I guess you don't believe me lol. Like I said we're tying this regime to Carr possibly and I don't feel good about it. I want Douglas here long-term because he's shown the ability to build a team and I don't wanna lose him because Woody will expect Derek Carr to be the piece that puts the team over the top. 

• Like 1