Total Control Mock Draft 2023 - Discussion

Deadpulse

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Meh, it just depends on what you value. Claypool has more big play ability, Pittman operates more in the short to intermediate areas. Claypool's production also doesn't tell the full story because he has had meh QB play and was also competing with a lot of solid guys for targets. 

I don't think it's that ideal to have your three top WR options all hitting the market at the same time. 

And Pittman has had good QB play?  He has been a very reliable security blanket for some pretty awful QB play.   At the bottom line,  that is going to make Fields more comfortable in the pocket.

It's not ideal, but it's not bad.   They still have plenty of ammo to continue adding WR's in the draft,   to develop behind these guys.    Or overtake.   

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

And Pittman has had good QB play?  He has been a very reliable security blanket for some pretty awful QB play.   At the bottom line,  that is going to make Fields more comfortable in the pocket.

It's not ideal, but it's not bad.   They still have plenty of ammo to continue adding WR's in the draft,   to develop behind these guys.    Or overtake.   

He definitely hasn't had great QB play, Wentz was pretty good in 2021 though. That's all good and gravy, I just think the Bears needed a true alpha dog #1 WR if they were going to make a move. Guys like Mooney, Kmet, and Claypool are already good complimentary pieces that offer different skillsets. Getting someone like a Higgins, Hopkins, etc. would've been super helpful for Fields and it would've made life easier for everyone else.

1 minute ago, RTTRUTH said:

Extra 3rd this year, extra 3rd next. Pittman is a big step up from Mooney, probably without debate. It's a plus for Fields. And Chicago's draft ammo. 

Probably would be only trade in NFL history that a team moved a top 2 pick and didn't get an additional FRP. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He definitely hasn't had great QB play, Wentz was pretty good in 2021 though. That's all good and gravy, I just think the Bears needed a true alpha dog #1 WR if they were going to make a move. Guys like Mooney, Kmet, and Claypool are already good complimentary pieces that offer different skillsets. Getting someone like a Higgins, Hopkins, etc. would've been super helpful for Fields and it would've made life easier for everyone else.

Fine. But I've seen this debate go pretty deep in mocks like this in past. These trades don't happen in the Real Life NFL vacuum. You're constrained by A) the guys that are present and conversing (unlike real life), B) the reality that you don't get to use those future 1sts anyways (unlike RL), and C) Whatever the market here will bear.

If his options are being forced to take his top player at 1, Gaining A weapon for his QB and likely taking the same player anyways at 4, or trading all the way back to 29 or whatever with CIN to get someone like Higgins (assuming they're even interested, financially after paying Burrow/Chase), then you do what is best for your franchise right here, right now. Not living in the fantasy of what the real NFL would do. Because as we've found out with other parts of this exercise, that is not where we are.

I respect making the move. Of course he'd prefer Houston paying him a future 1 to move back one spot and draft the next Ja'Marr Chase at 2. But that isn't the currently reality. So he has to work within the confines of his situation. Had he pushed for more, I probably don't trade him at all. Our new coaching hire makes me more comfortable with option B, and maybe even C at our targeted position (I wonder which one). 

• Like 1

Just now, downundermike said:

Real dumb noob question.

If I currently have 3 FA bids, and decide to remove two of them, can I just leave the one I am keeping in slot 3, or do I have to move it to slot 1.

Quite certain you can leave it in slot 3. If it's the only valid one you have entered, it's the only one that will go through.

• Like 3

Just now, downundermike said:

Real dumb noob question.

If I currently have 3 FA bids, and decide to remove two of them, can I just leave the one I am keeping in slot 3, or do I have to move it to slot 1.

The only significance that the bid number plays is if two or more teams have the exact same contract.  The FA bid number is used as a priority for tie breakers.

• Like 1

Chargers received: WR Tim Dwight,

2001 first-round pick (No. 5, RB LaDainian Tomlinson),

2001 third-round pick (No. 67, DB Tay Cody) and a

2002 second-round pick (No. 48, WR Reche Caldwell).

Falcons received: 2001 No. 1 pick (Vick)

Tim Dwight wasn't much.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RTTRUTH said:

Fine. But I've seen this debate go pretty deep in mocks like this in past. These trades don't happen in the Real Life NFL vacuum. You're constrained by A) the guys that are present and conversing (unlike real life), B) the reality that you don't get to use those future 1sts anyways (unlike RL), and C) Whatever the market here will bear.

The fact that this is a 1 year thing in a vacuum, it makes more sense to take Pittman than it would if this were continuous or in the real world. I personally still probably would've preferred getting pick #35 in a trade instead of Pittman. 

Just now, ny92mike said:

The only significance that the bid number plays is if two or more teams have the exact same contract.  The FA bid number is used as a priority for tie breakers.

Not cool. lol.  I thought all go through the qualification process no matter what.

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

I'll see if I can't work something out today that shows how many valid contracts are showing up in the award processing sheet without giving away too much info.

This way you at least know if the bids are being received and valid.

You have made it pretty easy. People just need to check the 6 boxes are all green and say pass

• Like 2