Total Control Mock Draft 2023 - Discussion

Deadpulse

4 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Wasn't your conversation about reserve contracts and UFA signings and re-signings?  I'm wondering about extending players already under contract to lower their 2023 cap hit.

Although, I now see where Mike said he is going to remove the base salary difference requirements for extensions.  Do you mean you're removing the 30% rule @ny92mike?

No.

It is possible to extend players and lower the 2023 cap hit, you have to keep in mind what their current salary is and their wanted APY is though.   

For me Chris Jones was set to make 28 Mil this year;  and his APY was 28. So it was pretty easy to lower by 6-7 Mil and still reach his APY. 

I looked at Buckner earlier and I think he was at like 19Mil, and I’m assuming his APY is up near 28 Mil.  Making it nearly impossible to lower that 19 and reach that 28 ApY. 

2 minutes ago, RedGold said:

It is possible to extend players and lower the 2023 cap hit, you have to keep in mind what their current salary is and their wanted APY is though.   

For me Chris Jones was set to make 28 Mil this year;  and his APY was 28. So it was pretty easy to lower by 6-7 Mil and still reach his APY. 

I looked at Buckner earlier and I think he was at like 19Mil, and I’m assuming his APY is up near 28 Mil.  Making it nearly impossible to lower that 19 and reach that 28 ApY. 

Jesus I ate and fell asleep.  Just woke up from my diabetic coma...lol.  This mock has my sleep schedule so jacked up right now.

I did really all I could do by deleting the need to convert the base salary difference between the current and extended year one base salaries.  Sometimes an extension just doesn't work out, which is probably similar to real life.  Otherwise, there would be more extensions.

5 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Hopefully I'm not repeating a question that has already been answered, but here goes:

Is there a way to extend a player and reduce his 2023 cap hit?  I can't seem to get it to work.  I know there was some discussion about this earlier but I didn't see where it went and I don't know what page(s) it was on to go back and look.

I just deleted the base salary formula that should help a little.  I'm doing all the teams right now.

8 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Jesus I ate and fell asleep.  Just woke up from my diabetic coma...lol.  This mock has my sleep schedule so jacked up right now.

I did really all I could do by deleting the need to convert the base salary difference between the current and extended year one base salaries.  Sometimes an extension just doesn't work out, which is probably similar to real life.  Otherwise, there would be more extensions.

Oh I wasn’t complaining.  I was trying to help make sense why some of those extensions likely weren’t working for folks.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Oh I wasn’t complaining.  I was trying to help make sense why some of those extensions likely weren’t working for folks.  

My bad... half asleep.  

Just finished making the changes to all the team workbooks.  Hopefully this helps.  

Some of the issues I think were just some not fully understanding how contract structures are what they are.  Like SB can not exceed 5 years.  Or that current SB can't be converted into new proration amounts.  Little things like this, that hell I have to refresh my memory when building these things.

• Like 1

Just now, ny92mike said:

My bad... half asleep.  

Just finished making the changes to all the team workbooks.  Hopefully this helps.  

Some of the issues I think were just some not fully understanding how contract structures are what they are.  Like SB can not exceed 5 years.  Or that current SB can't be converted into new proration amounts.  Little things like this, that hell I have to refresh my memory when building these things.

I thought what I did with the base salary difference between the current and new year base salary made sense to me from a players viewpoint.  It's money he would have got if he hadn't extended.  But also see know that it did make it difficult to extend and save money.

Generally speaking if your goal of extending someone is to save cap.   And their Expected APY is quite a bit higher than their current salary,   It’s going to be difficult in this mock.   

It’s not perfect,  but can guarantee this is much better than what used to happen in these..  and it fixes a heck of alot more than it breaks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

Generally speaking if your goal of extending someone is to save cap.   And their Expected APY is quite a bit higher than their current salary,   It’s going to be difficult in this mock.   

It’s not perfect,  but can guarantee this is much better than what used to happen in these..  and it fixes a heck of alot more than it breaks.

Agree 100% with you on this.  

I'm always open to feedback as you know.  So maybe we can discuss after this is over and try to come up with a better system for this.