Keenan Allen

3rivers

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Im not necessarily opposed to adding Meyers, but I think his age will get him more money than Allen.   Also, I believe Allen would be a better mentor vet to guys like Pickens and Austin.

IMO, we dont really need a young, long term free agent at WR.   We need a 1 or 2 year stop gap vet that can possibly teach our young guys a little.   I think a guy like Meyers will want a 3 or 4 year deal, and I dont personally want him that long.

I don’t think Allen would settle for a 1-2 year deal…he’s likely to get a 3-4 year and my thought was if that’s the case, just go the younger guy in Meyers.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AFF said:

I don’t think Allen would settle for a 1-2 year deal…he’s likely to get a 3-4 year and my thought was if that’s the case, just go the younger guy in Meyers.

age + injuries might make the long term deal less likely, hence the reason I thought there is a chance

9 hours ago, AFF said:

Highly unlikely a somewhat injury prone, soon to be 31 YO WR is getting more than a 2 year deal.   MAYBE 3.   Certainly not 4.

50 minutes ago, 43M said:

Highly unlikely a somewhat injury prone, soon to be 31 YO WR is getting more than a 2 year deal.   MAYBE 3.   Certainly not 4.

I’d normally agree with you buts a really think FA WR market this year…Juju/Meyers/Lazard pretty much top The list…maybe Slayton?

I just think if th Chargers let him go, some team will overpay and try to spread out the the cap hits of they think they’re close to a SB….maybe Chiefs?

I could be wrong…just my .02

22 minutes ago, AFF said:

I’d normally agree with you buts a really think FA WR market this year…Juju/Meyers/Lazard pretty much top The list…maybe Slayton?

I just think if th Chargers let him go, some team will overpay and try to spread out the the cap hits of they think they’re close to a SB….maybe Chiefs?

I could be wrong…just my .02

Not saying your assessment is wrong...but I just cant see 4 years for him.   I suppose some team COULD give him 4 years and frontload the contract.....but more likely 2 or 3 years.   We'll see, I guess.

That all being said, I think he is more likely to go to the Ravens or Browns over us.

The Keenan Allen option kinda leads to something I am very interested to watch now that we have money to spend in Free agency: Can Tomlin be the difference maker when it comes to landing guys?

Listened to an agent talk about top deciding factors for players in FA. Players chose teams because 1) Money 2) QB (aka, championship chase) and literally nothing else mattered. If Tomlin could haul in a guy like Allen who we likely wouldn't be the highest bidder nor would we be the most immediate path to a Super Bowl.... Mike's value is irreplaceable. 

I am really hoping he can net those fringe high level guys. Not to say they will go after Allen, but could Tomlin be the reason Allen turns down a chance to play with Mahomes? If so, that's incredibly powerful. 

IIRC Levi Wallace just said that Tomlin was a big reason for coming to Pittsburgh, and he just finished with the 7th best passer rating against for CBS that played more than 50% of their teams snaps. Sutton was 5th and he talked about wanting to be back too. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

IIRC Levi Wallace just said that Tomlin was a big reason for coming to Pittsburgh, and he just finished with the 7th best passer rating against for CBS that played more than 50% of their teams snaps. Sutton was 5th and he talked about wanting to be back too. 

I was pleasantly surprised with how good our secondary was. I really think we’ve got to bring Sutton back. Maybe an extension for Wallace too. Even if we draft a CB, we should still look to keep those two.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was pleasantly surprised with how good our secondary was. I really think we’ve got to bring Sutton back. Maybe an extension for Wallace too. Even if we draft a CB, we should still look to keep those two.

Me too. I think Kazee and Edmunds said good things about Tomlin with being back. I think Tomlins pull is with these guys lie more in these high end role players than star players. 

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

those are nice stats, so the early draft pick CB might not be a starter on the outside with Levi and Cam playing so well.  Maybe the FO drafts Branch and lets Edmunds walk instead, and still get a CB  a bit later.  I really hope they get a CB early though, would prefer 2 CB's and sign Sutton.  

If Levi has a solid season, then give him a nice new deal too, be set at CB for years.  If Phillips is there, then there is the slot CB and can go outside if he has to.  Maybe the trenches will be more UFA  and proven.

7 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Anybody but Juju. After his latest twitter and tik tok crap, I want nothing to do with that clown in Pittsburgh

Juju cares more about his social media status than football.   

Plus, he has taken several shots at the Steelers, too.

Last thing Pickens growing stardom needs is a guy like Juju around.