The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

12 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Sure that’s what he is now. Give him time is what I and others are saying. I get your point because I reserve 1st rounders for high impact players at premium positions too but there’s nothing to say he can’t become that. Not yet anyway. 

You said as long as he stops the run well, and takes on 2 blockers, he's worth the 13th pick. That's not true. If he doesn't get 5+ sacks, then we reached big time.

Edited by Jeezla

11 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Was Ngata not worth a 1st? 

When your defense runs through your ILB's, and half the teams in the league still run 50% of the time, it makes more sense. That being said, I think Ngata is overrated as hell. Different era though. LB's and RB's were going round 1 consistently when Ngata was in his heyday, and run D was just as important as pass D. Either way, Jordan Davis aint Ngata.

Edited by Jeezla

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

When your defense runs through your ILB's, and half the teams in the league still run 50% of the time, it makes more sense. That being said, I think Ngata is overrated as hell. Different era though. LB's and RB's were going round 1 consistently when Ngata was in his heyday, and run D was just as important as pass D.

I missed where you answered my question? 

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I missed where you answered my question? 

Is Jordan Davis Haloti Ngata? If no, your question is irrelevant. Doesn't matter where Ngata went, because Jordan Davis isn't Ngata.

Was AP not worth a 1st?
Was Luke Kuechly not worth a 1st?
Should we spend pick 10 on a RB or MLB since it worked for those teams 10 years ago?

Edited by Jeezla

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Is Jordan Davis Haloti Ngata? If no, your question is irrelevant. Doesn't matter where Ngata went, because Jordan Davis isn't Ngata.

So Jordan Davis is supposed to step out of college and be a borderline HoF DT the minute he plays in the NFL? Just please admit you’re being a little unreasonable with your expectations and we can move on. He has time to develop into something exactly like Ngata. 

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

So Jordan Davis is supposed to step out of college and be a borderline HoF DT the minute he plays in the NFL? Just please admit you’re being a little unreasonable with your expectations and we can move on. He has time to develop into something exactly like Ngata. 

No, Jordan Davis is supposed to be the guy he was in college. A run stopping DT with limited stamina that can't rush the passer. 

You claim I have unreasonable expectations because I'm expecting him to be what he actually already is and has been. You are the one expecting him to morph into something he has NEVER been. But yea, I'm the unreasonable one. Some of the most backwards logic I've seen.

Edited by Jeezla

20 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

No, Jordan Davis is supposed to be the guy he was in college. A run stopping DT with limited stamina that can't rush the passer. 

You claim I have unreasonable expectations because I'm expecting him to be what he actually already is and has been. You are the one expecting him to morph into something he has NEVER been. But yea, I'm the unreasonable one. Some of the most backwards logic I've seen.

I likened him to Ngata. Who’s never had more than 5.5 sacks in a year. If he gets to that level, yes I will be satisfied that we spent the 13th pick on him. I think that potential is reasonable. Claiming he’ll never develop skills is very unreasonable. Like does he have to be Warren Sapp the first year to be considered Jeezla worthy? I don’t understand why he HAS to be or that he even actually IS a finished project already. In your world, do guys never develop or learn a few things on the NFL level? He was a guy you could plug and play for your run defense which we sorely needed. With potential to improve on his pass rushing given his freakish physicality. He seemingly already is a good run defender. Is it ok if he’s not a finished product in the pass rush game yet? He’s 23. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danger said:

Jeezla's takes, while at times correct, are so hyperbolic and reactionary they kinda just flows in one ear and out the other for me.

What's the hyperbole? If Jordan Davis never develops into a pass rusher, then me saying he can't isn't hyperbole, it's just a fact that I didn't need to wait 3 years to confirm like the rest of you.
Based on the evidence we actually have, you calling that statement hyperbole is the hyperbolic and reactionary statement.
He didn't rush the passer in HS because he was playing BBall, wasn't good at rushing the passer in college despite being bigger/faster/stronger than every OL across from him, and most likely, he won't be good rushing the passer in the NFL against even better OL than he faced in college. The chance of Jordan Davis never becoming a good pass rusher, based on the evidence we have, is much higher than the chance of him becoming good at it. That's not hyperbole. That's just what it is. 
What you're really saying is you don't like opinions that go against your own until the proof has been crammed down your throat, and apparently you're gonna need another 2-3 years of proof. It's gonna come, and I'll be there wondering how the hell you guys didn't see it coming when it's so obvious to me and a select few others that actually know how to scout DT's.
I'm sure I've had hyperbolic takes in the past, but this Jordan Davis take ain't one of them.

Edited by Jeezla

7 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Like does he have to be Warren Sapp the first year to be considered Jeezla worthy?

No, but you gotta show something vs the pass, and he didn't. Fletcher Cox did. Corey Simon did. The good ones show something year 1.

As far as Ngata goes, Jordan Davis ain't him. Ngata had 17.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks over his final 2 college seasons (after coming back from an ACL). Also blocked 7 kicks. Jordan Davis had 6.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 QB hurries, and 1 blocked kick over his final two seasons. 

You saying Jordan Davis is just like Ngata is the same as me saying TJ Edwards is just like Luke Kuechly. They are both lies.

And yes, Jordan Davis can get better...at stopping the run. He will likely continue to improve in that area. Most players get better at the thing they were already good at in college. What they don't do is bust out an entirely new skill set. Maybe at QB, but not at DT.

Edited by Jeezla

14 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

If your roster is lacking in talent that typically means you're drafting very poorly over an extended period of time, which is exactly what has happened to the Eagles. Its a combination of Howie drafting very poorly and also not getting production out of certain players because they are considered project players who sit for entire seasons so that we go into the next season with the same holes to fill because he chose to neglect certain positions for those project players. This is why he has to trade multiple draft picks for players and sign a lot of 1 year deals in FA. 

Oh boy. We just saying stuff now I guess. 

The Eagles are clearly not lacking in talent. Howie has not drafted “very poorly” by any reasonable standard. Anyone saying this is just not being honest. The draft is not there to fill holes. It is there to build your team for the future. You fill holes in FA. Howie’s ability to sign the right guys in FA and maneuver the trade market is an asset and not a symptom of failure. 

This is just such a clear “I don’t like Howie” narrative that you are trying to force everything he has done into some negative box. Reality is Howie just built a SB level roster with a ton of young talent tied up for multiple years. Some of you need to really look inward and wonder if things like that just happen…. Or maybe the dude is just good at his job. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeezla said:

No, but you gotta show something vs the pass, and he didn't. Fletcher Cox did. Corey Simon did. The good ones show something year 1.

As far as Ngata goes, Jordan Davis ain't him. Ngata had 17.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks over his final 2 college seasons (after coming back from an ACL). Also blocked 7 kicks. Jordan Davis had 6.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 QB hurries, and 1 blocked kick over his final two seasons. 

You saying Jordan Davis is just like Ngata is the same as me saying TJ Edwards is just like Luke Kuechly. They are both lies.

And yes, Jordan Davis can get better...at stopping the run. He will likely continue to improve in that area. Most players get better at the thing they were already good at in college. What they don't do is bust out an entirely new skill set. Maybe at QB, but not at DT.

I’m not going to debate Ngata and Davis’ collegiate football career. We DO know that Davis was on a deep, talented DT rotation and played limited snaps by design. His stats will suffer. He still made his share of plays in a limited role. 

And, by design, Davis’ first year he was asked to be the main run stopper and give way to more seasoned DTs when the goal was to pressure the QB. You watched the games. You understand what we did. We played to our strengths. We were on a SB run. Time was very limited to give a rookie ample opportunity to prove what he can and cannot do. 

I LIKENED Ngata to Davis’ potential. That means it’s unrealized yet. I fully believe he can become that type of player. For comparison’s sake, Ngata played and started every game as a rookie, 31 tackles, 1 sack, 2 TFL, 3 QB hits. 

He doubled his tackles and at least tripled everything else the next year. And you would have given up on him. That’s what this is about. You’re pulling the trigger on a kid’s career at 23. It’s unreasonable.