Derek Carr Steelers New QB

armsteeld

Steelers become a playoff caliber team by signing Derek Carr. Derek Carr makes EVERY offensive player better from day 1. Yes the Steelers drafted Kenny Pickett last year but Omar Khan and Eric Weidl didn't draft him. Carr has tremendous respect for Coach Tomlin and he's someone he'd love to play for. 

Are the Steelers about winning super bowl trophies or catering to lesser players' ego? I prefer championships. Thoughts?

Why sign an average QB to a bloated $$$$ contract?

Im not sold on Pickett but Carr hasn’t shown to be anything special….he’s the worst type of QB to have…average enough to get paid big $$$ but doesn’t move the needle.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, AFF said:

Why sign an average QB to a bloated $$$$ contract?

Im not sold on Pickett but Carr hasn’t shown to be anything special….he’s the worst type of QB to have…average enough to get paid big $$$ but doesn’t move the needle.

What makes you think he gets a big $$$ contract? I'm sure for the right team, he'll make solid business decisions. An "average" QB last season has us contending for the championship trophy.

No. Absolutely not.

Carr and Kenny are going to be similar, but Carr will cost 300x. I am not a long term believer in Kenny, but he has one of the most valuable assets in football: A starting QB on a rookie deal. 

If Carr brought in championships, where are his? Where are his playoff wins? They don't exist. He is not that guy. Good QB, not going to change your teams stars. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

No. Absolutely not.

Carr and Kenny are going to be similar, but Carr will cost 300x. I am not a long term believer in Kenny, but he has one of the most valuable assets in football: A starting QB on a rookie deal. 

If Carr brought in championships, where are his? Where are his playoff wins? They don't exist. He is not that guy. Good QB, not going to change your teams stars. 

If Carr was on the Steelers he'd have those wins, easily.

3 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

What makes you think he gets a big $$$ contract? I'm sure for the right team, he'll make solid business decisions. An "average" QB last season has us contending for the championship trophy.

Um no, the Steelers weren’t an average QB away from contending for SB ring.

The offense is/was too young, the defense still too reliant on a semi injured Watt and still had Canada as his OC.

The Steelers benefited greatly from an easy 2nd half of year schedule and especially with the QBs they faced toward the end of the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, armsteeld said:

If Carr was on the Steelers he'd have those wins, easily.

He has played in one playoff game his 9 year career. He isn't that guy. 

Carr is going to cost around $30M on the low end. Kenny costs $3M. There isn't $27M+ worth of difference between the two that makes up for the loss of other players you need to sacrifice for the entire team. And it's blatantly clear through his career that Carr doesn't lift a sinking ship. 

This one isn't a no, it's a hell no. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dcash4 said:

Carr is going to cost around $30M on the low end. Kenny costs $3M. There isn't $27M+ worth of difference between the two that makes up for the loss of other players you need to sacrifice for the entire team. And it's blatantly clear through his career that Carr doesn't lift a sinking ship. 

Exactly…its just a cost/benefit analysis.

Carr MAY be better then year 2 Pickett but is it worth all that cap space taken up?….hell no.

Look at it this way…I’d rather have Pickett/year 1 cap hit of solid starting LG FA/year 1 cap hit of solid starter on the DL rather just Carr.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

The other part is Carr is at the tail end of his “peak” so we know what it is. 

Even if you don’t love Kenny as a long term option, there has to be admittance that he’s no where near his peak yet. And year 1 wasn’t bad enough to move on and say there’s no hope there. 

I think Carr has 3 options TBH:

1 - Jump on an offer now with someone like NO to get ahead of the curve on being with a team. 

2 - Wait to see what happens with Rodgers/Jackson, which may go into FA a few days. Let their landing spots determine where you go. If Lamar leaves Balt that’s not a bad landing spot for Carr. 

3 - Let teams make their cut moves before the start of the new league year and sign in that window between then and FA. Teams could offer him more than now, but he didn’t wait for other dominos to fall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Carr MAY be better then year 2 Pickett but is it worth all that cap space taken up?….hell no.

Absolutely. I don't doubt Carr would have won more games than Kenny last year and I wouldn't argue he wins more that him this year (talking apples to apples playing for the Steelers). But I do doubt that he is the difference between playoff contender and super bowl contender. 

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The other part is Carr is at the tail end of his “peak” so we know what it is. 

Even if you don’t love Kenny as a long term option, there has to be admittance that he’s no where near his peak yet. And year 1 wasn’t bad enough to move on and say there’s no hope there. 

To be fair, I personally do believe Kenny is closer to his peak, but overall I agree with what you are saying. The Carr's and the Cousin's of the world have been comparisons for Kenny, so why would I want to pay for that as a premium when I could get it for a steep, steep discount?

By year 3 I don't think there will be a ton of difference between the two. Not enough difference to make up for the cost difference at least.