O-heavy vs D-heavy Mock

Ward4HOF

Neither of these will ignore the other side of the ball completely, but just as it sounds...an Offense-centered picks Mock vs Defense-centered picks Mock

FINAL EDIT: Based upon input of inadequate Trade Compensation/Depth for Steelers, I've made the following changes in BOLD.

OFFENSE - Trade WR Diontae Johnson + 7.243 to Tennessee Titans for picks 5.149 + 6.186 ... EDIT: ...  + Swap Titans 2024 3rd for Steelers 2024 5th 

1.17 - Jordan Addison, WR - Let's grab Pickett's #1 Target from his Senior Year...should easily replace, and upgrade, DJ

2.32 - John Michael Schmitz, C - Time to adequately replace Pouncey, and become the next historic Steelers' Center

2.49 - Tuli Tuipulotu, 5T/Edge - Hopefully he lasts this long, beings somewhat of a tweener. I think we can develop him either way

3.80 - Darius Rush, CB - Might very well be gone at this point, due to his sub 4.4 speed, as well as, has been climbing draft boards as of late.

4.120 - Dorian Williams, ILB - Owen Pappoe's 1st choice, but he runs in the 4.3s, he'll be swooped up earlier than d. Williams is a similar, but slower prospect.

5.149 - Atonio Mafi, OG - Good instincts, and plays with a mean streak, and high character.  Need depth at OG

6.186 - Jared Wayne, WR - Let's grab Pickett's #2 Target from his Senior Year...our Possession WR.  And c'mon, totally worth taking a chance on the bloodlines

7.236 - Stetson Bennett, QB - Can be drafted without any concern of him becoming the starter--no controversy.  But may be the kind of leader needed when Pickett is out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

DEFENSE -  EDIT: NO TRADE

1.17 - Kelee Ringo, DB - This would be a prototypical Tomlin pick--Big School, Under 21YO, Ht/Wt/Spd prospect at a position of need.

2.32 - Keeanu Benton, NT/5T - Versatile lineman that can play any DL spot.  Obvious interest from Tomlin.

2.49 - Nolan Smith, ILB/Edge - Another versatile defender.  Can play him where he fits best.

3.80 - Steve Avila, OC/OG/OT - Versatile Lineman - Played RT, OC, and LG for TCU.  Strong inside run blocker/inside pass protection.

4.120 - Trey Palmer, WR - Legit 4.3 speed, with good size at 6' and 193lbs.

7.236 - PJ Mustipher, DL - At 6'4" 320, big, powerful, and supposedly violent IDL.

7.243 - Tanner Morgan, QB - Decent arm, with excellent placement skills.  Athletic enough, and can throw on the move.

So, there you have it...tear-it-up, as need be, haha...

Gun to your head...which is potentially the better outcome for us??

Edited by Ward4HOF
Added Compensation/Removed Trade for Steelers

both could work quite well IMO and I like the balance overall and value , but I would prefer to keep Highsmith. If they can't reach a deal before the draft, then maybe trade him. I don't like a 3rd for Highsmith though, just imagine the numbers he puts up if our offence scored more and if TJ was out there most or all of the season. 

D.Wright in RD3 would be nice value .

I still like Cbrunn's idea of UFA Risner for OG,  thats after we get his OL coach back on our staff of course .  Things are looking good on the OL once again  :D

I never used to like the idea of Addison because I wanted the trenches fixed, but consider UFA for trenches (proven pro's) and dionte being gone next year, WR seems like a good pick. 

Your defence mock would be the one if Sutton is gone .  I don't want to lose Sutton AND miss out on a RD1 CB.  Maybe trade down a bit, get Clark Phillips or Forbes and make the #32 pic a late RD1 pick for that additional 5th year option pick

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I should have read the whole thing before I commented, but Highsmith for a 3rd is also a pretty terrible trade. Give me the year of Highsmith and a 3rd round comp next year. I don’t want to purposely weaken any spot and both of your mocks have us doing that to start. 

good point about the 3rd for a comp pick next year. 

He either signs a new deal or we get the RD3 pick next year, thats about right.  Most likely will be a probowler especially if TJ stays on the field and our offence is actually scoring and leading games

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Diontae + a 7th for a 5th and 6th seems pretty bad. I’d rather have a year of Diontae and a comp pick than a 5th and 6th. 

Yeah.

As critical as I am of DJ, I wouldn't trade him for that, and we get zero cao relief trading him this year, so we get nothing out of that trade.    Id rather keep him this year and outright cut him next year than trade him for late rd value.

And shockingly enough, I like draft 1 a little better.    Just like the players more overall.

I want nothing to do with Sean Clifford.   Even 7th rd.   Wasted pick.

Edited by 43M

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Agreed.  I know we’re mostly down on DJ but he’s worth a 3rd minimum.

If we know we will get a 3rd for him, then wait it out.  Those comp picks are nice aren't they?

I still like the idea of a 2nd to a really bad team like they did with the claypool trade. Thats  a nice trade. Who was the one behind that trade?

Edited by 3rivers

Just now, warfelg said:

We have so much cap space next year that it’s unlikely we would get comp picks. 

I never knew cap space was a part of the comp picks. I thought it was based on the production of the player.  

How much cap space are you seeing us having next year? The KP rookie window has promise if we aren't out of cap space. 

Thanks for all the input.  I just didn't want to be a homer and expect a higher value than what I assumed they were worth.  Don't get me wrong, I agree with all of you, especially the Highsmith trade, as I agree, he's worth at least a mid-2nd, at worst, IMO.  The issue with DJ is, is that he get's paid more than what he produces for us, and next season, he's available, again.  Usually, players like that, who get paid in the top 20 at their position, should be able to perform top 20 at their position.  He was 29th in yds, with ZERO TDs...who is going to want to pay him $18.3M for that kind of production, so, to me, I fugure he's worth, at best, a 4th, or, a 5th and a 6th, and most teams will want a lesser pick back, at least, if they aare trading 2 current picks.

How about the drafts??  Positions?? Prospects??  Am I fairly close in their value, you think, overall?

Thanks again for the input!!  It was fun to put together... 

EDIT:  But as 43M alluded, a lot of the value would be dependant upon how much of the salary they took on for DJ.  I certainly wouldn't trade him, and expect to cover his entire contract next season...the new team would need to pick up a decent part of that, no??

Edited by Ward4HOF

just realized that claypool was almost like a RD1 pick.  Highsmith could have an even more productive year, and then even a #32 pick looks unfair since we already had a trade in 22 that was from a player thats got injury issues and not a pro bowl alternate as Highsmith was. 

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

just realized that claypool was almost like a RD1 pick.  Highsmith could have an even more productive year, and then even a #32 pick looks unfair since we already had a trade in 22 that was from a player thats got injury issues and not a pro bowl alternate as Highsmith was. 

But we had no idea it was going to be that high...we were expecting somewhere in the lower 40s...certainly not, 32.

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

We arent trading DJ in 23. 

Should have happened last offseason.

Could happen next offseason.

and here I was under the impression he only had 1 year left  .  Better if he has a good season and then better trade value.  If he stops dropping passes , that will help us all accept this. Running backwards is something I can get used to if he gets  TD's and  stops the drops.  He tore apart the panthers, more games like that minus the penalty of course.