Inside the Den 2023

Nnivolcm

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

We talk a lot about Dan Campbell as well as Brad Holmes and they deserve a lot of credit.  However, Sheila Ford-Hamp deserves a ton of credit for how much she has done to change the fortunes of the Lions.  Her attendance at the season finale in Green Bay last year speaks volumes about who she is as an owner.  She has made a ton of behind the scenes moves that have helped push this team forward.  Even something as straight-forward as replacing the turf at Ford Field with the most player-friendly version available shows how much better she is than previous members of the ownership family.

I agree and have been saying it for a couple years.  Her initial re-organization from top to bottom to add roles that allow the football people to be football people and the operations to be operations was huge.  Rod Wood is a business guy and adding Speilman into the mix allows the GM and President to communicate better and allows someone the ability to support Holmes in his role knowing what it takes on the football side.  Spending for additional voices in the scouting room like Dorsey have helped dramatically.  

The way she has been present but not in the way shows her leadership abilities.  Being in the draft room and not pushing for players or positions and trusting Holmes and DC is huge.  The way she asked about WR in the first draft was truly just asking what the plan was and not saying, go draft a WR now.  She knows what she knows and she asks what she doesn't and just lets people do their job.  Changing the culture around the Lions was her goal when she first took over and the way she did it and quickness she did it with are impressive.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:
  Hide contents

I was really hoping to see the draft room reaction to Bijan and Carter being drafted. Sad to see it didn't make it into the episode.

Unless it's "positive" I wouldn't expect that. I think they might have wanted Bijan, so you don't want to have a clip saying "darn we wanted that guy (over our guy)." And then for Carter, I think it's a bad look to also say "glad they took him instead of us."