Inside the Den 2023

Nnivolcm

30 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Unless it's "positive" I wouldn't expect that. I think they might have wanted Bijan, so you don't want to have a clip saying "darn we wanted that guy (over our guy)." And then for Carter, I think it's a bad look to also say "glad they took him instead of us."

We saw them celebrating Drew Sanders being picked by Denver so Hooker could fall. It might be a bad look but it's entertaining and enlightening imo. 

• Like 1

It may have been late but episode #3 is a really good piece of work.  For me, this coming out now provides a really cool perspective on our draft class.  My random thoughts:

1.  Every player that was described as a "reach" by the draft pundits wasn't a reach at all.  Jahmyr Gibbs wasn't going to last too much longer if he wasn't picked at 12.  Jack Campbell wasn't going to last much longer either.  The same is true for Brodric Martin-he was probably going in the late-third or early 4th round

2.  The traits that seemed to stand out with all of their picks:  High football IQ, High Football Character, toughness.

3.  My favorite quotes--Brodric Martin:  "You just gotta whip the guy in front of you", Colby Sordsal:  "You just have to strap on your helmet and punch the other guy in the mouth".  We definitely need players with a little bit of a mean streak.

4.  It seems like when they took every one of these players, they had a plan for how they fit on the team and what their initial path would be.  That explains a lot with the initial progress that has been made in training camp.  

5.  Brad Holmes and his staff have done a very good job with the later rounds.  He showed it in year 1 with Amon Ra St Brown and Alim McNeil.  Year 2 it was Kerby Joseph, Malcom Rodriguez and James Houston.  Brodric Martin, Colby Sordsal and Antoine Green seem to have the similar potential.

6.  Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell work really well together.  Their level of trust and collaboration stands in stark contrast to the previous coach and GM.

7.  Sheila Ford-Hamp has made a huge difference with this team.  She is really dialed-in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

It may have been late but episode #3 is a really good piece of work.  For me, this coming out now provides a really cool perspective on our draft class.  My random thoughts:

1.  Every player that was described as a "reach" by the draft pundits wasn't a reach at all.  Jahmyr Gibbs wasn't going to last too much longer if he wasn't picked at 12.  Jack Campbell wasn't going to last much longer either.  The same is true for Brodric Martin-he was probably going in the late-third or early 4th round

2.  The traits that seemed to stand out with all of their picks:  High football IQ, High Football Character, toughness.

3.  My favorite quotes--Brodric Martin:  "You just gotta whip the guy in front of you", Colby Sordsal:  "You just have to strap on your helmet and punch the other guy in the mouth".  We definitely need players with a little bit of a mean streak.

4.  It seems like when they took every one of these players, they had a plan for how they fit on the team and what their initial path would be.  That explains a lot with the initial progress that has been made in training camp.  

5.  Brad Holmes and his staff have done a very good job with the later rounds.  He showed it in year 1 with Amon Ra St Brown and Alim McNeil.  Year 2 it was Kerby Joseph, Malcom Rodriguez and James Houston.  Brodric Martin, Colby Sordsal and Antoine Green seem to have the similar potential.

6.  Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell work really well together.  Their level of trust and collaboration stands in stark contrast to the previous coach and GM.

7.  Sheila Ford-Hamp has made a huge difference with this team.  She is really dialed-in. 

Some things to add to what you wrote.

1. They definitely didn't seem like reaches to our guys.  Our staff had 14 guys with a 1st round grade, and we got 4 of them (I assume they had Laporta ahead of Branch given they took him ahead of him).  I do wonder where we had Bijan.  They made it sound like we preferred Gibbs anyways and were willing to take him at 6 if we didn't move back but that could have been editing and just them talking about Bijan but leaving the name out so we think its Gibbs. Either way, they obviously were really high on Gibbs and must have had him as a top 5 player in the class.  

2. Agreed, they also took a lot of team captains guys who tested well athletically.  

4. I liked how DC said thats 4 starters after getting Branch.  They see these guys as instant impact guys and really have a vision for how to utilize them.  I really hope that Branch and Laporta break the 2nd round bust streak here.  Been a while (Slay and Delmas are the only 2nd round picks to get second contracts by us since 2001 when we took Raiola and Shaun Rogers).  

5. Holmes definitely has a plan in later rounds and it seems like he has a board of about 150 players and only drafts from that list.  The guys they don't see as fits or needs just aren't on the list at all to clutter it up and that makes targeting later round guys easier.  Will be interesting to see if we can get some production again out of the later rounds.  Really you just want them to make the team, play special teams and develop early on so any real impact will be nice.  I have heard that Rodrigo was expected to be a great special teams player for us but his work getting to start killed that last year.  He may be back as a special teams player and backup now which means we have greatly improved our starters and our depth. 

6. They do seem extremely connected and on the same page.  Holmes is not making moves that DC is not on board with and forcing players or positions on him.  It seems they are both very involved and collaborate extremely well together.  That really is what makes it all work.  Tone at the top is important, and seeing the comradery and teamwork in that room trickles down. 

7. I have already said it enough, but love what she has done for us.  I like that she is in the room to learn and listen, not to interject. She is part of the team but knows her role and lets those she hired do their job.  There is a trust level she shows in this clip that I am sure other GMs and coaches wish they had from their owners.  Always being present, but never asking for the spotlight that should be on others is a big deal. 

Overall it was a great video again.  Gets me excited for the season again which is likely why they waited until now to release it.  Or maybe they waited until everyone was signed and in camp before hyping them up.  I am still not super high on some of the choices and positions, but learning to let go of my old school "if the media is in general consensus, they usually are right" mindset and trusting this staff to do what they have done best.  Great teams have had many drafts people don't agree with.  The Chiefs got a B grade in 2017 for taking Mahomes and Kareem Hunt.  They also got a C grade in 2016 for taking Chris Jones and a D for drafting Tyreke Hill.  The Seahawks were killed for taking Russ, Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner in 2012.  New England always made questionable early picks with guys like Logan Mankins and Jarrod Mayo that people called reaches.  The media is often wrong, and I have faith that they will be wrong about this class and the Holmes/DC draft strategy. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

It's finally a great time to be a Lions fan. Such a fun team to root for. 

I wonder who proposed this idea and what the initial reaction was. 

Also, just a note - the filter used on this picture gives a "white number with gray outline" on the jerseys that looks super sharp. I hope that this is the look they move ahead with in the jersey re-design. 

As tough as that last game was and how it lingers as the most recent memory, that video was great to recap the journey and remind me how fun the season was.  So much excitement I have never felt watching the Lions.  Definitely super excited to see what they do in the offseason and see how we grow and continue to build. 

• Like 3