Trying to put somethings into perspective mock draft and FA signings

Big T

So lets begin by putting somethings into perspective as far as where our money is spent.

OL 42.5 M

DL 44.4 M

WR 31 M

LB 22 M

The Jets obviously have to trim the fat on the OL and DL, while adding higher quality at the positions of need.

So we can see by the above numbers that much of the money was spent on the D line, but in reality only 3 players played up to their contracts

outside of the Rookies. In fact the rookies had such a big impact that the DL became a force because of rotational players like Huff, Clemons, and J.J.

Those were Q.W. Myers, and Rankins.

Because of the play of those 6 the Jets became formidable throw in a redux at CB with Sauce and DJ Reed and the Jets were catapulted into the top 5 in the NFL.

So where do we start?

Lets start with the cuts and or URFA

A.Davis, Feeny, Berrios, Curry, Thomas, Shepard, Lawson (a restructure is possible) Mosley would fall into the same category as far as a restructure is concerned

URFA Qwinnan Willams, M. White, Herbig, Rankins, Fant, Flacco, Duvernay, and McGovern, Alexander.

Now we know that JD has to move some money around if the Jets trade for A.R. or have to pay Carr.

They also have to sign QW to a deal and Rankins is a FA and he wants to get paid. QW said he would be willing to sit out until he gets a new contract

before he reports for mandatory camp. So we can see the obstacles facing the Jets as a team moving forward.

Another thing the Jets have to face is looking to the future, 2-4 years down the line, they have absolutely no answer for QB going forward who can man the position for 10 years.

At RB, we are all holding our collective breath that B.H. comes back with a vengeance, but can the organization go into the season without a bonafide threat at RB outside of B.H. knowing that Hackett's O has incredible success at the RB position? My answer is no, otherwise we're just average, we need a game changer at the position.

McGovern is gone, I suspect the Jets will either draft a center or sign someone who is a FA. I'm going FA route just to give credence to the OT aspect of the Mock.

As far as signing players Herbig, Rankins, Huff would be prime resigns. Now we all know the Jets need help at the S position and at LB.

So lets begin first on D, how do the Jets become even better and use FA to begin with.

Safety.. FA Dallas Cowboy Donovan Wilson  5 sacks 9 qb hits

LB....FA Buffalo Tremaine Edwards replaces QW considering the money QW wants Edwards is hands down a better LB

DT would be a toss up resign Rankins or sign Greg Gaines DL Rams.

On offense either we draft a Center or sign one, here we go with a FA signing 

Bradley Boseman C Panthers 

I am not unlike most if not all of the Jets fan's that believe we need to draft an OT/G like Skoronski and I would be fine with it. But we could still draft an OL who would not have the same grade say in the 3rd round, and for that matter a C in rounds 3-4.

With that in mind and if I could have a say in who we draft considering the difference makers that we hit on last year. No doubt one of the finest years any team has had in the history of the NFL.

I want to draft difference makers at the position, players that will make an immediate impact and help propel the Jets into elite status personal wise regardless of who is throwing the rock at QB.

So here is my Mock

1. Branch S

2. Achane RB

3. McClendon T

4. Overshown LB

5. Juice Scruggs C

6. Michael Wilson WR

The top 4 players should find plenty of playing time Branch catapults the Jets secondary into the stratosphere, Achane is IMHO such a game braking RB paired with B.H. become the most lethal tandem at the position in the entire NFL.

McClendon is a need and Overshown has the speed and range to keep TE's in check pair hims with Edwards and the LB corps has become formable.

Scruggs I believe will go higher, but he is rated about 3-4 C in this years draft so at 5 he would be a steal.

Note: If the Jets drafted a T like Skoronski I would be cool, a DL in round 2 like Kancey I would be out of my mind with delight, then grab a C in round 3, RB, WR, QB. I mean I would be cool with it. 

But we can't have everything in the candy store.

One last thing to consider is if the Jets could draft back and pick up some more second day picks those teams would be.

Detroit with the 18th pick, G.B. with the 15th pick (part of the AR trade possibly) Washington with the 16th pick and Seattle with the 20th pick. 

Personally if the Jets could draft down and still get Branch I would be very, very, happy.

21 hours ago, jetjuice said:

This gets a big fat F for doing nothing at the QB position.

I mean seriously?

Dude or Dudette, We're signing either Carr or Rodgers, so where do you get this doing nothing at QB? Do you want to draft a QB?

20 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

So we have no WB and waste a pick at RB when we have 3 good ones? No thanks.

Did you see Achane's tape? Are you so sure that BH is going to come back to form? It took Barkley 2 years to get to where he is as a FA. Do you want to go into the season with a RB who played poorly last year, another RB who was undrafted and one we traded for and couldn't get on the field?

So to say that it would be a wasted pick I think would be a stretch. The guy ran a 4.34 at the combine, he is a game shaker and game changer. You really have to look at his tape.

14 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Why sign Wilson if you're drafting branch? 

No qb 

Edmunds is gonna get paid three times as much as Williams 

Branch is a all around S and could be used as such, Wilson is more of a in the rushing the passer, so effectually he would sort of be like a hybrid. Besides it would give the Jets another dimension they don't currently have. Pair him with Branch and add a LB like Edwards and the front line becomes as potent as the back end. With those 2 moves offenses have to account for the upgrades. IMHO this catapults the Jets into the upper echelons of the defensive stratosphere.

I like Branch and think he is going to be VERY good and would love to have him. The rest I'm not sold on. I hate the second round pick bad. You have plenty of RB and you can just add a good one at a good price in FA. I really don't want to draft a RB this year. MC and Hall are perfect combo. I think taking your C there or T would be much better off or a LB.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Did you see Achane's tape? Are you so sure that BH is going to come back to form? It took Barkley 2 years to get to where he is as a FA. Do you want to go into the season with a RB who played poorly last year, another RB who was undrafted and one we traded for and couldn't get on the field?

So to say that it would be a wasted pick I think would be a stretch. The guy ran a 4.34 at the combine, he is a game shaker and game changer. You really have to look at his tape.

I can careless about the combine. Whether he ran a 4.23 or a 5.23 doesn't matter to me. We don't need a RB. Hall will be ready for camp and we have 2 guys who are very talented right behind him. You cant talk about the RB room and not mention the OL. Carter and Knight got to play when the OL was at it's worst. He get AVT and Becton back. So even though both were good for us. They'll be even better. But Hall should be 100%. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I can careless about the combine. Whether he ran a 4.23 or a 5.23 doesn't matter to me. We don't need a RB. Hall will be ready for camp and we have 2 guys who are very talented right behind him. You cant talk about the RB room and not mention the OL. Carter and Knight got to play when the OL was at it's worst. He get AVT and Becton back. So even though both were good for us. They'll be even better. But Hall should be 100%. 

To be clear, he didn't use Combine to influence his decision on taking RB high.  He is a strong upgrade to Carter and Knight. No question about that.  Still, that isn't necessary to draft RB that high. 

@Big T  check it out and decide it yourself

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/analysis/the-impact-of-acl-surgery-on-fantasy-performance-running-backs/

On 3/6/2023 at 6:08 PM, JetsandI said:

To be clear, he didn't use Combine to influence his decision on taking RB high.  He is a strong upgrade to Carter and Knight. No question about that.  Still, that isn't necessary to draft RB that high. 

@Big T  check it out and decide it yourself

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/analysis/the-impact-of-acl-surgery-on-fantasy-performance-running-backs/

I see where your coming from, and its all valid. I'm looking at the player as is he an "impact" type of player. No doubt the Jets could draft a RB later on down the draft board or URFA. But I see this guy as a star player in this league. He is dynamic, explosive, a game changer. Given the Jets current roster with both he and BH lining up in the backfield and both can catch like a WR it would just add an incredible dimension to the Jets. 

7 minutes ago, Big T said:

I see where your coming from, and its all valid. I'm looking at the player as is he an "impact" type of player. No doubt the Jets could draft a RB later on down the draft board or URFA. But I see this guy as a star player in this league. He is dynamic, explosive, a game changer. Given the Jets current roster with both he and BH lining up in the backfield and both can catch like a WR it would just add an incredible dimension to the Jets. 

We have to ask ourselves if that "impact" RB offers more than other "impact" position in 2nd round.  I am pretty sure JD will recognize a several promising prospects outside RB.