The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't go that far.  If they miss out on the playoffs, I think there'd be a very real possibility that he'd opt out.  And the Dodgers have a massive hole at 3B and a willingness to spend.  Not to mention, he was born in California.

Thank you but god forbid anyone says anything against the contrary… I never once said he was opting out. I said there’s a chance because of his comments. He came here to win the division and more. He didn’t come here to go to the WC and get bounced in 1 game. It’s the weakest division in baseball, so it shouldn’t be that difficult. Brewers have very good pitching but does anyone really think they’re a more talented team? 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't go that far.  If they miss out on the playoffs, I think there'd be a very real possibility that he'd opt out.  And the Dodgers have a massive hole at 3B and a willingness to spend.  Not to mention, he was born in California.

But he also likes being left alone, and you’re not getting that AND the money he is just about anywhere else but here.

He can focus on baseball, be lobbed softball questions from the media and get a handful of puff pieces written about him every year. Most of the same reasons Goldschmidt loves it here 

28 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Thank you but god forbid anyone says anything against the contrary… I never once said he was opting out. I said there’s a chance because of his comments. He came here to win the division and more. He didn’t come here to go to the WC and get bounced in 1 game. It’s the weakest division in baseball, so it shouldn’t be that difficult. Brewers have very good pitching but does anyone really think they’re a more talented team? 

That's not at all what I took from your 7/16 comment below. Sure seems like you are indicating he'd more than likely be opting out. 

'We’ll be lucky to keep Nolan from opting out at this point'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

That's not at all what I took from your 7/16 comment below. Sure seems like you are indicating he'd more than likely be opting out. 

'We’ll be lucky to keep Nolan from opting out at this point'

Tbh, and I don’t want to speak for @ttitansfan4life, but sometimes it’s easy to get emotional and aggrandize during a game or directly after the deadline. I do it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We're not gonna miss the playoffs, are schedule is so light. Dodgers would be the only threat of him opting out, since he is a SoCal kid, but they gotta focus on re-signing Trea Turner and I know they like their 3B prospect -Vargas.

That's on top of him not getting the same term/value on a new deal if he did opt out (not because he's not performing to that level, but because he's gonna be 32). Just don' see it at all. 

There's little doubt in my mind that if the Nolan Arenado were to hit FA that the Dodgers would be putting an all-out press on him.  And Vargas isn't going to keep them from wanting Arenado.  They'll move him to 2B, 1B, or the DH spot if the bat is legit.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?