The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What are you basing this off of?

Yea I dont get that feeling. They were sure slow on the uptake with him (as he started in the Minors this year) but once he was hot, he has been playing (actually rare for Matheny to do)

As I have said many times, I hope he is a big part of this franchise going forward. But I wouldnt put all my chips in his basket, and always have a safe guard 4th OF ready to take over.

16 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Seems like the front office really dislikes Tommy Pham. At least, that's how I see it. Am i way off there? 

I wouldn't say they "strongly dislike" him, but I think there's a couple issues there.  On one hand, I think they've been forced to temper their expectations for him based on his health & injuries.  That's no one's fault.  I get it.  I think they know what he's capable of and want to see him succeed, but they've been burned enough that they feel they need to have a backup plan in place.  And I can see why Pham could interpret that as them not believing in him.

Also, I think his personality rubs some in the clubhouse and especially the FO the wrong way.  As fans, we generally find his bluntness and honesty refreshing.  I thought his comment about not making the playoffs being "familiar" now was spot on, and I was glad he said it.  Mo's comments in the press conference the other day showed he obviously didn't care for those comments.

3 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

Mo's comments in the press conference the other day showed he obviously didn't care for those comments.

If Mo doesnt like his players to be honest, then its time to take another look at the "Cardinal Way". Im not saying they should be disrespectful or openly defying management, but to express true feelings of disappointment should be encouraged. We missed the playoffs for 2 straight years for the first time in almost a decade and we are starring down the barrel of 3 in a row since the turn of the Millennium

This is just as much on Mo as anyone else, and if Yadi is allowed to get away with the childish crap he pulls, then what Pham said shouldn't even be acknowledged 

The Cardinals have made the fewest trades overall of any team in baseball since 2011

From VEB . . . . . that makes me so frustrated.

This organization has had Soooo many opportunities to both Improve by moving prospects, and even bigger missteps, chances to sell high on guys who we should have shed ourselves of but ended up just absorbing the downfall of their careers. Just this season;

• Jedd Gyorko
  • Trevor Rosenthal
  • Seung-Hwan Oh
  • Randal Grichuck

And on top of those we sold Matt Adams at his dirt basement price.

Ive had Mo's back for a long time, but he really needs to show me something this offseason or Im going to have to start questioning what he is doing. Especially if we are on track to miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight season.

23 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If Mo doesnt like his players to be honest, then its time to take another look at the "Cardinal Way". Im not saying they should be disrespectful or openly defying management, but to express true feelings of disappointment should be encouraged. We missed the playoffs for 2 straight years for the first time in almost a decade and we are starring down the barrel of 3 in a row since the turn of the Millennium

This is just as much on Mo as anyone else, and if Yadi is allowed to get away with the childish crap he pulls, then what Pham said shouldn't even be acknowledged 

I totally agree.  He wasn't bad-mouthing management, complaining, or causing dissension.  He was stating the facts and his displeasure with the situation.  Nothing wrong with any of that in my book.

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What did Pham say? I must have missed it.

I don't remember the exact wording of the question or full answer, but it was basically:

Reporter: How do you deal with this unfamiliar territory of this team missing the playoffs?

Pham: Well, it's been two years in a row, so it's familiar now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

I don't remember the exact wording of the question or full answer, but it was basically:

Reporter: How do you deal with this unfamiliar territory of this team missing the playoffs?

Yeah, MO can go kick rocks. Pham is telling the truth.

18 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

Yeah, MO can go kick rocks. Pham is telling the truth.

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

From VEB . . . . . that makes me so frustrated.

This organization has had Soooo many opportunities to both Improve by moving prospects, and even bigger missteps, chances to sell high on guys who we should have shed ourselves of but ended up just absorbing the downfall of their careers. Just this season;

• Jedd Gyorko
  • Trevor Rosenthal
  • Seung-Hwan Oh
  • Randal Grichuck

And on top of those we sold Matt Adams at his dirt basement price.

Ive had Mo's back for a long time, but he really needs to show me something this offseason or Im going to have to start questioning what he is doing. Especially if we are on track to miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight season.

First off, Matt Adams had his chances to take the 1B gig and he struggled.  I'm not going to lose much sleep over him if we're being honest.  He accumulated 1.6 WAR over 367 PA.  Over 600 PA, that comes out to 2.6 WAR out of a 1B.  That would rank 15th, right ahead of Yonder Alonso.

As for the whole limited number of trades, that goes back to our affinity for our prospects.  With the exception of the Matt Holliday, the Cardinals don't make these big deals dealing multiple prospects.  And when they deal prospects, it's usually guys they viewed as guys who don't really have much room for development.  They moved Kaminsky when they felt that his FB/CB wasn't going to go much further.  They moved James Ramsey when it was clear he was AAAA player.  You can keep going down the list, but they usually don't move prospects at their high points.

7 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

I totally agree.  He wasn't bad-mouthing management, complaining, or causing dissension.  He was stating the facts and his displeasure with the situation.  Nothing wrong with any of that in my book.

Not that I'm arguing one way or the other, but I'd imagine that Mozeliak would prefer his players showing their displeasure in person rather than through the media.  I mean, Molina lost it when Matheny went through the media to call him out about being tired.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not that I'm arguing one way or the other, but I'd imagine that Mozeliak would prefer his players showing their displeasure in person rather than through the media.  I mean, Molina lost it when Matheny went through the media to call him out about being tired.

By going though social media like a child? Bringing up Molina's reaction to compare him to Pham only shows that Tommy is the one capable of acting like an adult, unlike the "leader" of this team.

The fact is Mo lost all high ground on matters of players talking to the media when he didnt come out an chastise Molina for his ridiculous reaction.

21 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

By going though social media like a child? Bringing up Molina's reaction to compare him to Pham only shows that Tommy is the one capable of acting like an adult, unlike the "leader" of this team.

The fact is Mo lost all high ground on matters of players talking to the media when he didnt come out an chastise Molina for his ridiculous reaction.

I'm not going to disagree with that one, but if he came out and chastise Molina than he had to do the same thing with Matheny.  Neither one of them dealt with it through proper channels.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?