The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Gonna throw this one out there, what does everyone think about signing John Lackey to a 1 year deal?

Id rather eat my shoe. 

And I believe it was Lackey who has been bad mouthing Matheny from here all the way to a Chicago on his way out (most pointed to him being the one who gave Fowler hesitation before signing last year) so I’m gonna say it’s not really an option 

Edited by StLunatic88

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I thought he said 2017 postseason was his last run and that he was hanging them up after? 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/cubs-john-lackey-likely-to-retire-after-postseason/

That's what I saw from a basic Google search.  I was looking for a guy who could eat innings who'd like a 1 year deal.  But if what @StLunatic88 said is true, I can't imagine they'd bring him back.

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/cubs-john-lackey-likely-to-retire-after-postseason/

That's what I saw from a basic Google search.  I was looking for a guy who could eat innings who'd like a 1 year deal.  But if what @StLunatic88 said is true, I can't imagine they'd bring him back.

Im just going by what the scuttlebutt around the strung-out process that signing Fowler was. Plus he has never really had all that of kind words for the Org (mostly stemming from his own contract situation).

But I definitely see what you were getting at. We need another arm to chew up some innings. We are currently relying on basically a Rookie (Weaver) two guys who will be coming off of surgery (Waino & Reyes) and then ofcourse Michael Wacha...

47 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Any mock off-season where Jose freaking Martinez is our opening day starting 1st baseman is a failed off-season IMO. 

If he is the only option? Sure I would agree with you. But lets be honest, the Free Agent market is pretty bare when it comes to bats this year.

I wouldnt hate to see Mark Reynolds back in a Birds uniform. Thats the type of power this lineup has been missing. 

I would sign a few guys to spring training invites, see if you can catch lightning in a bottle...and just role with a starting 5 of...

Martinez-Wacha-Weaver-Waino-Flaherty 

Unless Weaver completely blows up in ST, I think he's carved himself a spot in the rotation next year. And this is just what I would do, but I would have this be my rotation until May 1st, and then I would switch out Flaherty with Reyes. It would allow Reyes to not rush back from TJ and would knock around 25-30 innings off his season total. So now instead of around 180 innings pitched, you're looking at 150 or so. 

Just trying to think of a way we can save some innings off Reyes' arm.