The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

If he is the only option? Sure I would agree with you. But lets be honest, the Free Agent market is pretty bare when it comes to bats this year.

I wouldnt hate to see Mark Reynolds back in a Birds uniform. Thats the type of power this lineup has been missing. 

Honestly, I think the best option (barring any unforeseen trade for someone we're not even thinking as being available) is what we currently have on roster...

Now that we know Carp's shoulder injury isn't serious and it's inflammation, he should be good to go health wise for 2018. Still think he's just fine at 1B (look at the defensive metrics, they have him as a + there) and he's still a pretty legit bat; hitting for above average power and is an elite OBP guy. Add in the fact that you can spell him with a guy like Martinez and I think that's the way to go, especially if we were able to land Donaldson at 3B... 

31 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Now that we know Carp's shoulder injury isn't serious and it's inflammation, he should be good to go health wise for 2018. Still think he's just fine at 1B (look at the defensive metrics, they have him as a + there) and he's still a pretty legit bat; hitting for above average power and is an elite OBP guy. Add in the fact that you can spell him with a guy like Martinez and I think that's the way to go, especially if we were able to land Donaldson at 3B... 

Do we though?

This is the Cardinals, I haven't ever trusted a first diagnosis of any injury we've had since the Mid 90s

13 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

While I agree, it's not the 1st diagnosis. He's had MRIs now...

I get that. But again, we've been here before. Its not just a diagnosis, its a treatment thing as well. We have had plenty of seemingly mundane injuries that have turned into month long or even season long issues. 

Now Im not saying Carp is going to be subject to any of this. But to not acknowledge that this has been an issue with this organization in the past (even the recent past) would be a mistake.

19 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Where did you see this? And rightfully so, he was a stabilizer in the 9th inning role for us...

Kind of a friends' moms' sisters' co workers cousin's brother is buddies with a clubhouse guy type deal....not to that extent, but you get the idea. Guess we'll find out if I can trust my new found source. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

12 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Kind of a friends' moms' sisters' co workers cousin's brother is buddies with a clubhouse guy type deal....not to that extent, but you get the idea. Guess we'll find out if I can trust my new found source. 

I saw a report that said there was mutual interest. 

13 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Is Stanton completely out of the question?

I wouldn't say that, especially given the Marlins new management group and their desire to shed salary and start fresh. Stanton represents like 1/3 of their total payroll, so I think he's got high probability of being moved this off-season if a team truly wants to take on most, if not all of his deal...

I think this would be highly outside of our mo of the past, but not out of realm of possibility. We have the capital and prospects available to make it happen if we really wanted to...

Attendance figures came out yesterday for the year. We again drew/sold over 3 million, we came in a hair under 3.5 million...

Second to only the Dodgers...

Insane, with how crappy we've been the last two years we're still drawing at that rate. I hope this doesn't give management an out to not be aggressive this off-season...

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Attendance figures came out yesterday for the year. We again drew/sold over 3 million, we came in a hair under 3.5 million...

Second to only the Dodgers...

Insane, with how crappy we've been the last two years we're still drawing at that rate. I hope this doesn't give management an out to not be aggressive this off-season...

Thats the problem. Not saying that they would just sit back and do nothing, but there is no pressure to really force the issue as long as they are still selling tickets. (because they arent filling seats).

I just dont understand how this awful trend (WS loss to not making the playoffs) is not resulting in some serious action. Its the only think that will make this culture around the change.