The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

14 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Mozeliak was recently on a local radio show and said the teams #1 priority this offseason is to get a Closer. And that would most likely come from outside the organization. 

Makes sense. I've thought for a while now we'd look to reshape the BP and especially the back-end even if we did sign Nicasio...

Wasn't sure if it would materialize though...

16 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Mozeliak was recently on a local radio show and said the teams #1 priority this offseason is to get a Closer. And that would most likely come from outside the organization. 

Our closer is already on the 25 man roster, the problem is he has to be in the rotation. 

• Like 1

So it sounds like the new pitching coach gig is between 3 candidates...

1. Mike Maddux
2. Chris Bosio
3. Jim Hickey 

Any of the 3 would be a great hire. Wonder if there's any chance the Cardinals can steal Brian Bannister from the Red Sox. He's a strong Analytics guy who's probably more than ready to be a pitching coach. 

19 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder if Willie Mcgee will serve as a baserunning coach? Bringing back Oquendo and bringing on Mcgee might finally be a sign Matheny and the organization are getting serious about our trash defense and baserunning. 

D Goold said he'll serve as basically a defensive coach to the OF's and a base-running coach to the whole team...

10 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

1. Mike Maddux
2. Chris Bosio
3. Jim Hickey 

Any of the 3 would be a great hire. Wonder if there's any chance the Cardinals can steal Brian Bannister from the Red Sox. He's a strong Analytics guy who's probably more than ready to be a pitching coach. 

I'm still shocked he was fired by the Cubs. Reports out that Maddon was actually the one who initiated it, not the FO. Wouldn't that be something if we brought him on...

20 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

1. Mike Maddux
2. Chris Bosio
3. Jim Hickey 

Sounds like Hickey is the guy the Cardinals want, but you probably have to be realistic.  His ties to the Cubs, Maddon in particular, is too strong to ignore.  Sounds like Maddux is their backup plan.

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yeah me too. But I doubt MM gets fired any time soon. 

If by "anytime soon" you mean not this offseason, then I agree with you. But I think with these coaching additions and the expected roster activity Id say he has to show something in 2018 or hes gone.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?