The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Free Agency
Re-sign LHP Jose Quintana to a 2 year, $24M deal ($10M/$12M/$14M TO, $2M buyout)
Sign C Christian Vasquez to a 2 year, $16M deal ($8M/$8M)

Unless we're dealing Montgomery/Matz, I don't see us bringing back Quintana anymore. Some of the beat writers have said they prefer not to be that LH heavy in the rotation. could be wrong though. 

I think we're still going to be significant players in the trade market. I agree with you that Contreras is probably financially out of the realm of where we go and that his defense doesn't really profile with what we look for out of C position. I think Sean Murphy or one of the Toronto (2) are going to be looked at extensively. 

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Who said that? I don't think anyone gave that notion. if anything, I've been the one throwing out the options on SS', but even I acknowledged it was slim at best. And that was before learning of how they're structuring the 2023 payroll, which pretty much makes it not feasible now. 

Mainly Twitter Cardinal fans. Sorry I should have specified. 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:49 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Unless we're dealing Montgomery/Matz, I don't see us bringing back Quintana anymore. Some of the beat writers have said they prefer not to be that LH heavy in the rotation. could be wrong though. 

I think we're still going to be significant players in the trade market. I agree with you that Contreras is probably financially out of the realm of where we go and that his defense doesn't really profile with what we look for out of C position. I think Sean Murphy or one of the Toronto (2) are going to be looked at extensively. 

Honestly forgot Miles Mikolas if we're being honest.  But I could also see them having 6 SP under contract, and saying whoever is the worst ends up in the bullpen whether that be Waino, Matz, or whoever.  Inevitably speaking, Jack Flaherty will get hurt so you can't really count on him to stay healthy.  Liberatore is probably their quick replacement, but given his struggles last year they're probably not high on him holding down the spot.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly forgot Miles Mikolas if we're being honest.  But I could also see them having 6 SP under contract, and saying whoever is the worst ends up in the bullpen whether that be Waino, Matz, or whoever.  Inevitably speaking, Jack Flaherty will get hurt so you can't really count on him to stay healthy.  Liberatore is probably their quick replacement, but given his struggles last year they're probably not high on him holding down the spot.

Waino isn’t coming back to be a reliever. Not a chance they even consider that. He’s on the road to 200. 

I didnt love the recent talk about us sniffing around the reliever market. It seems very rare that you ever get anything close to what you pay for, especially from outsiders.

I actually believe you should try to home grow every member of your bullpen, they just flame out and become stars so quickly and multiple times over.

Im still thinking that we end up with Vasquez behind the plate (2/$16m) and a guy like Iglesias (1/$6m) to push the Middle Infield to a higher floor. And I could see us taking a flyer on a Starting Pitcher, who could also slot in as a long arm in the BP if everyone (Jack/Matz) stay healthy to start the season. I feel like we were linked early on to Chad Kuhl, as he had a very good first half of the season, and then the bottom fell out. Those are the exact type of reclamations we are known for, and he only just turned 30

On 11/18/2022 at 7:57 PM, CWood21 said:

It's a shame that Alex Reyes' career was completely derailed by injury.  Someone's gonna gamble on him.

I wish he could have stayed healthy and put it together with us. Someone will try and work some magic and catch a Chris Carpenter situation with him. If it happens for him, I hope it’s in the AL. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?