The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Also, anyone hear Jim Edmonds’ awful sense of humor talking about that little league kid?

I listened to the clip. It was more off putting hearing him laugh so hard at his own comment. Obviously, the joke was in bad taste, but it wasn't the worst comment I've heard people make. He really tickled himself with it. It wasn't even objectively a funny comment. I'm not sure why he thought it was so funny. 

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I know Mike Shannon sounds a little rough this year, at least he did during Spring Training. Haven’t listened to him during the regular season. But man the radio side is going to be so boring when they give Rick Horton a bigger role. 

Love me some Danny Mac though. I think He’s brought his A-game the last few years. 

Agreed - you can tell Shannon is starting to get a little less enthusiastic and forgetful. Too bad, as it's his farewell tour this year.

Agreed on Danny Mac too. I wish they would just let him do the game by himself on TV side, ala like the old school radio guys in Vin Scully, etc.

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Also, anyone hear Jim Edmonds’ awful sense of humor talking about that little league kid?

Eh, there's some debate on who the text was actually talking about (the kid vs the coach), I tend to land on the side that its his buddy texting him, so that guy was likely talking abut himself. But it didnt sound great on a live broadcast, so people are going to jump all over it because its easier to be outraged over everything these days. 

Honesty , it was nothing all that bad in the context of a chat among friends joking around, its just that he read it live on air. Which is where the decision making comes in, he really shouldnt be reading texts he gets on the broadcasts, thats not what hes there for. 

But then again, he is basically doing the Cardinals the favor of being the Color guy, because everyone else they have had in the past 10 years has been awful. Feels like he just got too comfortable, and he isnt a "radio professional" by trade, so hes just on there shooting the stuff about the game. He is entertaining, and offers better insight than most. Especially since he isnt 2 generations removed from the players on the field.

15 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Reyes and Hicks are not it right now for late inning roles. Great to get the sweep. The rotation has definitely settled in it seems. Carlson in the two hole has been amazing so far. 

definitely. Saw a stat where our rotation as a whole two times through their starts had an ERA of 6.75. The last time they rolled though ERA under 1.25.

Man, our defense continues to be suspect though. I thought this was going to be a strength of the team, but it's disappointed thus far. We're up among the league leaders in errors and haven't gone 3 consecutive games without committing one.  

19 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Does Justin Williams do anything well?

I actually Think he’s been solid so far for us. Has a good eye and seems like he’s had a high Exit Velo. Idk, he could very well be a nobody, but he’s intrigued me enough these first 20 games that I want to see more. 

17 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Excellent divisional sweep. The pitching has been phenomenal lately. 

I was coming to post about how well Martinez pitched again. The rotation is looking really good. This team definitely has the ability to have a nice postseason run. Obviously, it'll take getting all the pistons running at the same time. 

Anybody think there’s any significance with this? We all know how amazing Yadi has been throughout his career and is having a very good offensive season so far. I also have the opinion that Knizner is a starting caliber catcher and one that would rank in the top half of the league if he was an everyday starter.

On 5/3/2021 at 2:02 PM, ttitansfan4life said:

Anybody think there’s any significance with this? We all know how amazing Yadi has been throughout his career and is having a very good offensive season so far. I also have the opinion that Knizner is a starting caliber catcher and one that would rank in the top half of the league if he was an everyday starter.

I think it's more to do with the rotation settling in now vs. the early season struggles we saw. I don't think it would've mattered if it had been Yadi/Knizer behind the plate, the whole starting staff was struggling.

Even now with Knizer, the BP has been struggling as a whole, so I think it's more on the pitchers than anything to do with who's receiving.

I share your sentiment on Knizer though. He's really impressed me in his starts. He's gotten immensely better defensively since last year.  

Goldy has to be dealing with an injury right? I know he's always been a slow starter, but even this odd for him. He had good peripherals at the beginning of year, but they have tailed off some recently.

He just looks uncomfortable too more often than not on his swings. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?