The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Yep, I think you're right reading more into it. Sounds like all (3) of Carlson, Nootbar and O'Neill could see a decent chunk of CF at some point this season. 

I think a Marmol quote came out that TON came in wanting the CF spot, Im sure there is some truth to that, but Id bet the team has a hand in this as well

It would be Ideal if O'Neill, Carlson and Nootbaar can cover CF and RF for when Walker comes up and you can slide him in at LF rather than RF. It would lower the defensive pressure while he transitions to the Major League level. 

On 2/25/2023 at 11:59 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I feel kind of stupid, but why is LF less pressure than RF? No long throws? It seems like he’d see more action in LF.

Its obviously the throws that were already mentioned, but with the over abundance of Right Handed Batters, the balls coming your way in LF are much more standard flyballs, where RF ends up with more balls that tail/dive away from the fielder, and you have to be more athletic and get better jumps/reads.

Not saying Walker couldnt do that, but if he doesnt have to worry about that and play a more reactionary OF spot, he can concentrate on what he needs to for hitting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I don't know if anyone else ehard Skip Shumaker's comments yesterday on Walker after the game, but wow that's high praise from someone who got to know him well last year.

Im calling the Memorial Day stop over series vs the Royals at home as Walkers first big league appearance

Get the major ovation at home, some ABs vs the awful Royals, then let him gel with the team as they go on the road for another week. (plus conveniently likely keeps him out of Super 2 service time)

MLB network had a great interview yesterday (talked about how massive Jordan Walker is already lol). It just made me realize how lucky we are with this guy. The specifically asked him about the new Machado deal and if he had any regrets about not opting out. He basically said he knows it might look like a dumb decision to some, but he wanted to be here long-term, and he said he's got more money already than he needs, so he'll be fine.

Dude is just the 'Cardinal's way' epitomized. 

On 2/28/2023 at 7:44 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

MLB network had a great interview yesterday (talked about how massive Jordan Walker is already lol). It just made me realize how lucky we are with this guy. The specifically asked him about the new Machado deal and if he had any regrets about not opting out. He basically said he knows it might look like a dumb decision to some, but he wanted to be here long-term, and he said he's got more money already than he needs, so he'll be fine.

Dude is just the 'Cardinal's way' epitomized. 

I think I saw what you're talking about.  The interview was with Arenado, right?

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!