The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

44 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm starting to buy into Paul DeJong's swing change. he's still always gonna have the swing/miss hole in his game, but when he's making contact, it's hard contact.

If we are being rational, it was always understandable why they stuck with him (which includes the sizable financial commitment as well) because he can be a productive offensive player. It was just extremely painful to go through, and probably will be again at some point this year.

You cant pick up the option though. Especially if it is keeping Gorman off the field as much as it has recently (and that is coming from a guy who doubted everything about Gorman)

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm starting to buy into Paul DeJong's swing change. he's still always gonna have the swing/miss hole in his game, but when he's making contact, it's hard contact.

We've been burned so many times before, but I'm ready again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

If we are being rational, it was always understandable why they stuck with him (which includes the sizable financial commitment as well) because he can be a productive offensive player. It was just extremely painful to go through, and probably will be again at some point this year.

You cant pick up the option though. Especially if it is keeping Gorman off the field as much as it has recently (and that is coming from a guy who doubted everything about Gorman)

Agreed, and the fact that they really had no other viable option at SS behind Edman other than DeJong since Sosa was dealt. He was going to remain on this team through the contract. 

I don't think he's going to continue to hit above .300, but if he can keep showing the doubles and homerun clip he's on, watch out. He's still a plus defender at SS too. 

Edman has really struggled against RHP this season, so I think you continue to use DeJong as the everyday SS and platoon Edman against LHP until you need to make a change 

Edited by kgarrett12486

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Contreras back behind the plate tonight and catching none other than Mr. Flaherty himself lol.

One day I WISH we would get the real story about all of this. But you know we never will

Willson was even quoted saying he hasnt changed anything, hes just playing his game, when they asked what he did to get back to being the Catcher for the team. 

Mo and his Minions were just caught with his pants down on this one and were the embarrassment of the league for about a week

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

One day I WISH we would get the real story about all of this. But you know we never will

Willson was even quoted saying he hasnt changed anything, hes just playing his game, when they asked what he did to get back to being the Catcher for the team. 

Mo and his Minions were just caught with his pants down on this one and were the embarrassment of the league for about a week

Agreed. I kind of think that comment from Contreras was a little 'F you' revenge toward the FO for how they did him in the media lol. Good for him too.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed. I kind of think that comment from Contreras was a little 'F you' revenge toward the FO for how they did him in the media lol. Good for him too.

This year was the first time I started to think that maybe the game is starting to pass Mo by. 

With 15 going on 16 years on the Job, Only 2 "GMs" have a longer tenure than him (Cashman in NY and Williams in CHI, and neither of them are proof against this point) and only 6 of them have been around for 10+ years (3 more would hit that next season) but the bigger thing to me is, only 1/3(ish) of this roster was past like Freshman/Soph year of High School (16 years old) when Mo took over GM duties. Its a real thing that you have to be able to change your style to match different generations. And if he was just doing GM things, scouting, signing, roster construction, then it wouldnt matter as much. But Mo is way more in the weeds than that, as has become VERY apparent the last 2 seasons.

There is definitely major talent on this roster, but its clear that while not as great on the field, Yadi was absolutely running this entire franchise for the last 5+ years

I cant find it right now, but I recently saw that Clip from AJ Perzinski, basically talking about how Yadi was making in game decision as far back as Matheney. I can't imagine the influence he had last year with Marmol in charge (even with only being here half the time)

17 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This year was the first time I started to think that maybe the game is starting to pass Mo by. 

With 15 going on 16 years on the Job, Only 2 "GMs" have a longer tenure than him (Cashman in NY and Williams in CHI, and neither of them are proof against this point) and only 6 of them have been around for 10+ years (3 more would hit that next season) but the bigger thing to me is, only 1/3(ish) of this roster was past like Freshman/Soph year of High School (16 years old) when Mo took over GM duties. Its a real thing that you have to be able to change your style to match different generations. And if he was just doing GM things, scouting, signing, roster construction, then it wouldnt matter as much. But Mo is way more in the weeds than that, as has become VERY apparent the last 2 seasons.

There is definitely major talent on this roster, but its clear that while not as great on the field, Yadi was absolutely running this entire franchise for the last 5+ years

I cant find it right now, but I recently saw that Clip from AJ Perzinski, basically talking about how Yadi was making in game decision as far back as Matheney. I can't imagine the influence he had last year with Marmol in charge (even with only being here half the time)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

And thats from half a season, 10 years ago. Over a guy who by all accounts was a very respected guy behind the plate.

The fact that there was obviously no real plan to transition away from Yadi, was a total failure on Mo and Management. Which then somehow was all blamed on Willson?

And unfortunately, there does seem to be some whispers around here that it wasnt Jack making the noise, but it was Mikolas... Im very surprised, and honestly disappointed if that is true.