The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I mean maybe, but I think teams knew the Cards were willing to deal Lynn, just sounds like they couldn't find a match in terms of value. Girsch kind of hinted on the pre-game show that they were offered a few mediocre prospects...

I doubt any team gave them an offer they can't refuse, that wasn't happening given that Lynn is a pending FA.  I didn't hear the interview with Girsch, but I'd imagine they were offering a few lottery tickets and not much more.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I doubt any team gave them an offer they can't refuse, that wasn't happening given that Lynn is a pending FA.  I didn't hear the interview with Girsch, but I'd imagine they were offering a few lottery tickets and not much more.

So if thats the case, how do you deal him? What do you do? Gimme the comp pick if that were the case....but then again, if they don't even QO him, you'd have to look back and consider yesterday a huge swing and a miss.

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So if thats the case, how do you deal him? What do you do? Gimme the comp pick if that were the case....but then again, if they don't even QO him, you'd have to look back and consider yesterday a huge swing and a miss.

Obviously it's impossible to correctly judge this.  To me, there's two schools of thought with regards to Lance Lynn.  One, the Cardinals weren't very forthcoming with Lynn's availability and that along with the fact that Sonny Gray trade happened so close to the deadline didn't really leave a whole lot of room to maneuver.  If that's the case, that's clearly on the FO.  Obviously, they weren't going to get a Yu Darvish return.  Lynn just simply isn't that caliber of pitcher.  I guess if you're going to go with a comparable pitcher that was dealt, the closest was Francisco Liriano and I think most would prefer Lynn to Liriano for a number of reasons.  The Jays acquired OF Nori Aoki and Teoscar Hernandez for him.  Honestly, Aoki was just trade fodder so I wouldn't really count him as much, so it's essentially Teoscar Hernandez for Liriano.  That means the Cardinals likely get a back-end top 10 prospect out of the Astros system, and something else small.  Best case scenario, you're getting either Daz Cameron or Yordan Alvarez, but more likely Teoscar Hernandez and a good lottery ticket.

On the other hand, if it's a case that teams legitimately weren't offering much of anything they probably made the right move to hold onto him.  Short of him blowing out his arm, he will get $50M+ on the open market and I can't envision a scenario in which the Cardinals don't offer a healthy Lynn the QO.  It'd be beyond stupid to not do so given the lack of arms available.

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not totally sure how much I believe that the Cardinals were willing to do that, unless they thought that Piscotty was another Allen Craig...which I don't think they do.

A couple insiders have said there is thought that the FO was trying to help Stephen Piscotty and his family's situation. His family is in California and such we explored avenue that would've allowed him to be close to home, but got us appropriate value in return...

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Realistically, what MOTO bat do you think is going to be available in the offseason?  My guess is the only real notable one is going to be Josh Donaldson.  So you're trading for 1 year of Josh Donaldson, and what exactly is he going to be worth?  He's probably not that 7+ WAR player anymore, and probably 5 WAR is probably a bit high.  But let's assume you're projecting him at 4 WAR, which is roughly $36M in value assuming you use the $9M/WAR value that rams gave us earlier.  Given that he made $17M this past season, there's a good chance he's making close to $20M if not more than that next year via arbitration.  Using FanGraph's value of prospect, Sandy Alcantara is $22M alone so you're making the swap of him plus something else relatively small for 1 year for Donaldson.

That's the beauty of the off-season. Trades for players that have never been brought up/mentioned happen!

If we're just looking at it from an August 2017 standpoint, then yes it doesn't look like much will be out there. A lot can change though after a season and 29 teams focusing on reshaping their roster...

I agree though, I'm not a fan of the Josh Donaldson deal. The Jays are going to pitch him as an MVP level player, when he's simply not close to that production and won't be by the end of the season. His 1 year isn't worth what we'll have to give up...