The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Wadye Ynfante and Jonathan Machado have been pretty impressive thus far in the lower minors. Ynfante has shown surprising power this year with 6 home runs in 131 at bats. Before this year, he totaled 6 homers in his previous 560 at bats. And Machado is a guy I believe we signed for a little over $2 million last year. +runner +defender, has a really nice swing (looks Ichiro-like) but has absolutely no power. And it doesn't really look like he's going to grow into any power either. 

Our outfield depth in the minors is ridiculous. O'Neil, Bader, Sierra are guys who probably have at least an 80% chance of making a 25-man roster one day. and then the next tier would be guys like Adolis Garcia, Randy Arozerana, Oscar Mercado, Nick Plummer, Dylan Carlson, Terry Fuller, Jonathan Machado, Wadye Ynfante....Not saying all these guys are major league talents, but the depth is pretty impressive and they're guys worth keeping tabs on. And I think Fuller and Carlson project better as 1st basemen down the road. 

I love the depth of OF in the minors. If only we could combine Sierra and O'Neil. We would have a Superstar. O'Neil projects as LF even if he is playing in center for Memphis. I've lately fallen in love with Randy Arozerana and the potential he has.  Probably in the same tier in terms of speed along with Sierra(although not sure on this) and he has power. He is holding his own in Springfield. Wouldn't be shocked in 2-3 years to see an outfield of O'Neil, Sierra and Arozerana. Sadly we have to endure four more years of Dexter. I love the guy but he is too injury prone to be paying him $80 million.

9 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Wadye Ynfante and Jonathan Machado have been pretty impressive thus far in the lower minors. Ynfante has shown surprising power this year with 6 home runs in 131 at bats. Before this year, he totaled 6 homers in his previous 560 at bats. And Machado is a guy I believe we signed for a little over $2 million last year. +runner +defender, has a really nice swing (looks Ichiro-like) but has absolutely no power. And it doesn't really look like he's going to grow into any power either.

Speaking of former DSL players, I've been trying to keep an eye on Elehuris Montero.  He's currently slashing .311/.388/.534 with a respectable 7.4% BB% and 17.4% K% for the GCL Cardinals.  Maybe it's my borderline obsession for having a legitimate 3B prospect, but he's another young guy to keep an eye on.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Speaking of former DSL players, I've been trying to keep an eye on Elehuris Montero.  He's currently slashing .311/.388/.534 with a respectable 7.4% BB% and 17.4% K% for the GCL Cardinals.  Maybe it's my borderline obsession for having a legitimate 3B prospect, but he's another young guy to keep an eye on.

11th rounder Evan Mendoza is killing it so far...he should probably be at Peoria. 

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

11th rounder Evan Mendoza is killing it so far...he should probably be at Peoria. 

He's currently at State College right?  Looking at the matrix, you'd have to imagine a promotion is in order though.  They usually start their college prospect off at State College though.

Just now, holt_bruce81 said:

Me too, they're hardly getting any production from both corner outfield spots and Derrick Goold had stated earlier in the year he was a player the front office had always liked...

I know the Cardinals have been linked to him a couple of times.  Only really adds a few million dollars to their payroll.  I guess they'd rather just give AB to Randal Grichuk...

Just now, CWood21 said:

He's currently at State College right?  Looking at the matrix, you'd have to imagine a promotion is in order though.  They usually start their college prospect off at State College though.

Yeah he and Scott Hurst (3rd round pick) are the two most notable names at State College. 

Just now, holt_bruce81 said:

Yeah he and Scott Hurst (3rd round pick) are the two most notable names at State College. 

Yeah, like I said they usually send their college players to State College with the exception of their first round picks which usually go to Palm Beach or Peoria.  Unless their HS players and they usually start at the GCL Cardinals squad.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I know the Cardinals have been linked to him a couple of times.  Only really adds a few million dollars to their payroll.  I guess they'd rather just give AB to Randal Grichuk...

Are you just going to call this year one big pile of dong for Piscotty and erase it from memory, or is there reason for concern? He's looked better in recent at bats, he's fouling off a lot more pitches, but is he ever going to be that 20/80/.280 guy that he looked like when he first came up? There's nothing statically that shows he's having an Allen Craig-like crash...

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Are you just going to call this year one big pile of dong for Piscotty and erase it from memory, or is there reason for concern? He's looked better in recent at bats, he's fouling off a lot more pitches, but is he ever going to be that 20/80/.280 guy that he looked like when he first came up? There's nothing statically that shows he's having an Allen Craig-like crash...

I think you'd have to chalk it up as an injury-plagued year, but admittedly I haven't watched a ton of Cardinals baseball.  Been more of a highlight fan this year unfortunately...

His walk rate is up while his strikeout rate is the same, which indicates to me that he isn't having issues seeing the ball.  His power is down as well.  I'm not really seeing anything in his batted ball profile that would indicate those issues are something that's going to plague him.  Maybe @ramssuperbowl99 can figure something out that we are missing.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think you'd have to chalk it up as an injury-plagued year, but admittedly I haven't watched a ton of Cardinals baseball.  Been more of a highlight fan this year unfortunately...

His walk rate is up while his strikeout rate is the same, which indicates to me that he isn't having issues seeing the ball.  His power is down as well.  I'm not really seeing anything in his batted ball profile that would indicate those issues are something that's going to plague him.  Maybe @ramssuperbowl99 can figure something out that we are missing.

Honestly, I think it's a combo of two things:

1] He's dealt with nagging injuries seemingly the whole year

2] The bigger issue and this has been echoed by many insiders is the situation with his mom. They've said it's really taken toll on him and he just can't get his mind fully into the game.

I've thought this for awhile now, but it might be best to just give him rest of season off and let him go back to Cali and let him focus and regroup in the off-season. Hopefully he can get past it and it doesn't carry over...

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player?player_id=572039&pos=RF&player_type=batter&season=2017

His exit velocity is way, way down.