The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not trying to sound dramatic, but how the Cardinals do in their final 33 games before the All Star break is going to be MASSIVE in if they buy or sell at the deadline.  They only have a 3 game series against the Braves later this month that they play a team with a current winning record.

You could also say these next 33 games are really big for the future of this Cardinals FO/coaching/team, not just the deadline. Should be crazy baseball for the next month and a half. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not trying to sound dramatic, but how the Cardinals do in their final 33 games before the All Star break is going to be MASSIVE in if they buy or sell at the deadline.  They only have a 3 game series against the Braves later this month that they play a team with a current winning record.

Team needs to blown up starting at the top.

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Time to give some credit/love to this rotation. Gray, Mikolas, Gibson and Lynn have all produced sub 3 ERA's over their last 5-6 starts. 

I said it before the season, I like this Rotation. Now they have stumbled here and there, and we still need a reliable #5, but this is group is good enough to make a playoff push.

We could go get just about any SP on the market, and it would improve the Rotation. And thats not a knock, just saying they could slot in anywhere. If its just a cheap innings eater, they could slot as the #5 and the other four should be fine where they are at. But if you could get a rental Ace or a #2 with an extra year or so it would be nice to slide Mikolas/Gibson/Lynn down a slot. 

The offense is the real issue, and Im not sure one bat fixes what is going on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I said it before the season, I like this Rotation. Now they have stumbled here and there, and we still need a reliable #5, but this is group is good enough to make a playoff push.

We could go get just about any SP on the market, and it would improve the Rotation. And thats not a knock, just saying they could slot in anywhere. If its just a cheap innings eater, they could slot as the #5 and the other four should be fine where they are at. But if you could get a rental Ace or a #2 with an extra year or so it would be nice to slide Mikolas/Gibson/Lynn down a slot. 

If think getting, and staying, healthy would do a great deal for the offense. Adding Noot, Willson, and Edman back into the offense could be a huge boost. That means less Fermin, Siani, Carlson, Pages in the lineup. That buys us at least a bit of improvement. 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If think getting, and staying, healthy would do a great deal for the offense. Adding Noot, Willson, and Edman back into the offense could be a huge boost. That means less Fermin, Siani, Carlson, Pages in the lineup. That buys us at least a bit of improvement. 

Geting Wilson back should for sure be a boost to the lineup, assuming he is close to 100%. And Noot helps as well, but I dont think he is going to be a massive impact unless he jumps back to 2023 level or better. 

Edman is someone I am not counting on one bit until he shows it. Whenever he does make it back, hes gonna need probably a month of ABs to get back into Major League form, which even last years form is a far cry from the 21/22 guy that everyone thinks of

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

The problem is we're a ~.500 team.  We're 19th in wRC+ and 20th in wOBA.  We're 13th in FIP.  Defensively, we're 14th in DRS and 13th in UZR/150.  There's nothing we're great at.  And hence the reason why we're straddling the .500 line pretty much this entire season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is we're a ~.500 team.  We're 19th in wRC+ and 20th in wOBA.  We're 13th in FIP.  Defensively, we're 14th in DRS and 13th in UZR/150.  There's nothing we're great at.  And hence the reason why we're straddling the .500 line pretty much this entire season.

We absolutely are. But with a little better health we are probably leading the WC.

And if we get one more good arm we could still overtake the Brewers pretty quickly IMO

I’d say neither of those thing matter if we had better leadership/philosophy in the dugout and in the front office. 

https://x.com/mlbnetwork/status/1802728885383024708?s=46&t=zvLLmt4RdwEc41Z-sHBpsA

Guy is an absolute moron. The pitching is what is responsible for getting this team back to .500. The offense is atrocious. Currently 1 run against a ****ty pitcher from the Marlins. Contreras, Noot, and Edman should help but not enough to really get the offense going big time. We need a starter, a big bat, and bullpen help.

Edited by ttitansfan4life