The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

11 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

How safe is Greg Garcia's job? I know this is kneejerk but Munoz is hitting well. He's younger, has more pop, more athletic, and has a cooler name. I'm not sure he fills the gritty, handsome guy role off the bench, though. 

I think unless he just bombs this spring, he's pretty safe. He's on a cheap deal and team knows he can play multiple spots and they can keep him on the bench for a week or two and then he can come into a game a still get a hit as needed. 

He's good at his role, which is hard for a lot of guys; that playing only 1-2 times every week or so. Especially for young guys...

According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have agreed to an extension with shortstop Paul DeJong.

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, it's a six-year, $26 million deal. It's the richest deal for a player with less than one year of service time, just topping Tim Anderson's deal with the White Sox. DeJong wasn't even on track to be arbitration-eligible until after 2020, but the Cardinals have a history of these sorts of deals with young players. The deal covers all of his arbitration seasons, but Goold reports that there are two option years which would bring the total to more than $50 million.

While I love the framework of this deal and the value we could potentially get over the course of this deal, I question why we needed to do it this soon?

I would have waited at least 1 more season to make sure it wasn't just a fluke...

17 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

While I love the framework of this deal and the value we could potentially get over the course of this deal, I question why we needed to do it this soon?

I would have waited at least 1 more season to make sure it wasn't just a fluke...

I agree. I guess the're banking on another big year for him. If he has another big year it would have been more expensive next year. Either way, it's not a terrible deal. 

11 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree. I guess the're banking on another big year for him. If he has another big year it would have been more expensive next year. Either way, it's not a terrible deal. 

It's not terrible, but I also wonder if it would have been better to wait.  I understand the reasons Mo & Girsch try to make deals like this, but I don't feel like our track record with them is kind of hit or miss.  I feel like Carpenter & Wong worked out at least ok, but the Piscotty and especially Craig deals didn't work.  

2 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

It's not terrible, but I also wonder if it would have been better to wait.  I understand the reasons Mo & Girsch try to make deals like this, but I don't feel like our track record with them is kind of hit or miss.  I feel like Carpenter & Wong worked out at least ok, but the Piscotty and especially Craig deals didn't work.  

I understand it, but I think they jumped the gun here.

DeJong had a very good rookie season, but there are some alarming numbers as well. Plus, he's still got 2 full seasons before he's even arb eligible, which those are the typical years teams try to buy out...

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Saves a hell of a lot of money long-term.  Look at it this way, he was worth 3 WAR over 443 PA.  Over 600 PA, he'd have posted a ~4.1 WAR season.  Even if he regresses hard to 2 WAR, that's roughly ~$16M in value.  So assuming he averages 2 WAR per season over the course of the primary contract, that's $96M in terms of value excluding inflation.  So that's a net of $70M.  Using Point of Pittsburgh's updated prospect value (http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/mlb-prospect-surplus-values-2018-updated-edition/), that's worth a top 10 SP prospect or a #11-#25 hitter.  That's pretty damn good value.

But what if he averages 3 WAR over the life of the contract, that's $118M in surplus value.  And he if he averages 4 WAR per year, you're looking at $192M in surplus value.  Look at guys like Jose Quintana, Chris Archer, etc.  They're so valuable because they're making peanuts.  Not necessarily because they're good, but because teams are paying them almost nothing compared to their worth.  IF DeJong posts another season like he just did, he's not even considering that 6 year, $26M deal that he just accepted.

6 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

I don't see any upside to waiting.  The only thing that can possibly really happen is he continues to play reasonably well, and he gets more expensive.  Really the only way this deal "blows" up in the Cardinals' face is if he has some career-ending injury or completely falls off the face of the earth.  Hell, even if he regresses horribly to 1 WAR per year, that's still $22M in surplus value.

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't see any upside to waiting.  The only thing that can possibly really happen is he continues to play reasonably well, and he gets more expensive.  Really the only way this deal "blows" up in the Cardinals' face is if he has some career-ending injury or completely falls off the face of the earth.  Hell, even if he regresses horribly to 1 WAR per year, that's still $22M in surplus value.

Yeah, the more I've heard & thought about it, the more on board I am.  Still seems a bit early, but it's not a terribly expensive risk.