The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Pretty much.  Wisdom is a non-prospect, and I figured he'd be apart of a prospect-for-prospect deal.  Don't think he has the value to help move Fowler or Cecil.

Wisdom wouldnt be enough by himself, but he could help minimize the $$$ we have to send along in a trade. More likely with Fowler than Cecil.

22 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Wisdom wouldnt be enough by himself, but he could help minimize the $$$ we have to send along in a trade. More likely with Fowler than Cecil.

Best case scenario dealing Wisdom is a LR who is in a 40 man crunch himself.

57 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ehh, Wisdom is on his way out, another guy who could be in Rule 5 trouble and he will be one of the first moved. Honestly wouldnt be shocked to see a NBA like move to pair him with Cecil or Fowler to try and move money with nothing much in return.

Didn't Wisdomalready get passed over this year in the rule 5? I think he's an outright release candidate this offseason.

19 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Listening to the broadcast last night, Jim Hayes talked directly to Bud Norris. Norris said he wants to remain a Cardinal beyond this season and his agent had had positive talks with the FO.

That could be the reason he didn't get moved, we could be looking to extend him...

Because handing out multi-year deals to old relievers is such a great idea...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ehh, Wisdom is on his way out, another guy who could be in Rule 5 trouble and he will be one of the first moved. Honestly wouldnt be shocked to see a NBA like move to pair him with Cecil or Fowler to try and move money with nothing much in return.

Wisdom didn’t even enter my head when I typed that. I was talking about the glut of pretty good looking 3B guys in the lower minors.

32 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Wisdom didn’t even enter my head when I typed that. I was talking about the glut of pretty good looking 3B guys in the lower minors.

We've really only got 3 real 3B prospects in the minors: Evan Mendoza, Elehuris Montero, and Nolan Gorman.  Mendoza needs to display more power if he's really going to take off as a prospect, and there's some question about where Montero's defensive position lies.  I believe he can stay there in the short term, but long-term he'll eventually move across the diamond.  Gorman is probably the "best" of the 3 prospects, but he's probably 3-4 years away.

Looking ahead, our commitments are:

C - Yadier Molina ($20M)
1B - Matt Carpenter ($14.75M)
2B - Kolten Wong ($6.5M)
SS - Paul DeJong ($1.7M)
3B - Jedd Gyorko ($8M)
LF - Marcell Ozuna (Arb 3)
CF - Harrison Bader (Minimum)
RF - Dexter Fowler ($16.5M)

SP - Carlos Martinez ($11.7M)
SP - Michael Wacha (Arb 3)
SP - Miles Mikolas ($8M)
SP - Jack Flaherty (Minimum)
SP - Luke Weaver (Minimum)

RP - Jordan Hicks (Minimum)
RP - Brett Cecil ($7.75M)
RP - Luke Gregerson ($5M)
RP - Chasen Shreven (Arb 2)
RP - Dominic Leone (Arb 2)
RP - Matt Bowman (Arb 1)

1B/OF - Jose Martinez (Arb 1)
OF - Tyler O'Neill (Minimum)

Probably could include a few other guys, but they're either still in the minors or future is up in the air.  That's roughly $100M there before you include arbitration raises and minimum salaries.  Figure in another ~$25M or so, and they're probably somewhere in that $120-$130M range.  They figure to be somewhere in that $150-$160M range next year.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

RP - Brett Cecil ($7.75M)
RP - Luke Gregerson ($5M)

God that is so bad

And the Dexter number looks worse and worse every time a young OF looks good.

I used to be on the Donaldson Train for next season, but with his injury riddled year, we will have to see how it goes. I assume they will drop a QO on him (and he would be smart to take it) and I wouldnt want to comit to anything longer than 2 years to him, which Im sure he will want much more. Ive only got eyes for Nolan Arenado now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

God that is so bad

And the Dexter number looks worse and worse every time a young OF looks good.

I used to be on the Donaldson Train for next season, but with his injury riddled year, we will have to see how it goes. I assume they will drop a QO on him (and he would be smart to take it) and I wouldnt want to comit to anything longer than 2 years to him, which Im sure he will want much more. Ive only got eyes for Nolan Arenado now

No kidding.  Paying big money to relievers that aren't closers just is a stupid move.  I still don't understand that.

As for Josh Donaldson, I'd love to have him but only on a short-term deal.  He probably should be offered the QO, and should accept it.  As for Arenado, I doubt he's even available especially since the Rockies are competitive.  And I don't even want to fathom the cost.  Probably starts with Flaherty/Reyes and continues from there.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And I don't even want to fathom the cost.

Oh Im looking toward his Free Agency in 2 years, not to trade for him. After we decline the $32m in options for Carp and Gyorko

Might be premature, but I have already mentally punted on 2019, as we clearly cant commit to anything correctly, and just hope that we can get these young Pitchers/OFs ready for a couple big singings for 2020 to make a final run with Yadi

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I mentioned it around this time last year and might feel even stronger about it this year....I think the Cardinals should trade for Marcus Stroman in the offseason. And I know FA Signings haven't really worked out alll that well in the past, but I'd go after Josh Donaldson on a 2-3 year deal.

I really don't know what a trade for Stroman would even look like, I'd try to build a package around Luke Weaver. The Blue Jays Front Office seems pretty reluctant to tear things down and rebuild, so would they want more talent on the Major League Roster? Maybe a Weaver/Kelly package (depending on how they view Knizner) might be something the Jays would want. 

And then I'd make Poncedeleon our Long Reliever, I'd treat Hudson as a late inning guy for at least the next 1-2 seasons and then I'd make Gomber the swing man between Memphis and St. Louis. Stretched out to startdown in Memphis because with our injury history in the Starting rotation, you know he'll get plenty of starts p with the Big club. 

1. Carlos Martinez 
2. Michael Wacha 
3. Marcus Stroman 
4. Miles Mikolas
5. Jack Flaherty 

RP: Daniel Poncedeleon
RP: Chasen Shreve 
RP: Dominic Leone
RP: (Lefty FA)
RP: Dakota Hudson 
RP: Jordan Hicks 
RP: Bud Norris (Think they bring him back) 

- We have options down in the Minors if a guy like Leone is let go, or Hudson has to be a part of the Stroman package.Ryan Helsley would be the first guy I'd call. And I haven't seen them play really, but I know the Cardinals love both Junior Fernandez and Derian Gonzalez. 

1. Matt Carpenter 1B 
2. Yadier Molina C 
3. Josh Donaldson 3B 
4. Marcell Ozuna LF
5. Paul DeJong SS 
6. Tyler O'Neil RF 
7. Harrison Bader CF 
8. Kolten Wong 2B 

Edited by holt_bruce81

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

might be something the Jays would want. 

Not attacking the idea, because I do like Stroman, but I think any time this is where you are thinking on a package for a player, your not even close to what it would really take.

Kelly is another one that Mo waited to long to move. His value peaked as a prospect last year, and the minute they knew they were locking in Yadi for 3 more years, he should have been moved for something we could use. And if no right then, definitely as soon as Knizner tore it up in the AFL.

Edited by StLunatic88

29 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not attacking the idea, because I do like Stroman, but I think any time this is where you are thinking on a package for a player, your not even close to what it would really take.

Kelly is another one that Mo waited to long to move. His value peaked as a prospect last year, and the minute they knew they were locking in Yadi for 3 more years, he should have been moved for something we could use. And if no right then, definitely as soon as Knizner tore it up in the AFL.

Sorry I should of been more clear with the Weaver/Kelly package. By no means am I saying those two would get the trade done, just saying I would like to work out the deal with those two involved. And I think you're underrating the Value of Carson Kelly, and it's a typical BFIB reaction ;). I really think he still has a bright future up at the major league level and my expectations of that haven't wavered based off of 107 at bats sprinkled across the span of 3 seasons. 

I'm willing to trade Kelly more to the fact that I have a man crush on Andrew Knizner and it's been on going for around 2 years now.