The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

With the Bullpen struggles this year, do you reconsider bringing back Lance Lynn beyond this season? Have the same rotation going into the 2018 season and add Alex Reyes to that bullpen seems like a smart move, no? 

Reyes is a Starter, do not even try to get cute with that. Now if you want to think about Wacha there or something then maybe 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Reyes is a Starter, do not even try to get cute with that. Now if you want to think about Wacha there or something then maybe 

I know he's a starter, but why force a guy coming off TJS into the rotation? Why not try and ease him back a bit? He's still young and the most innings he's pitched in a season was 111 last year. Asking a guy who's coming off TJS to eat the majority of the innings that Lance Lynn gives you could be a recipe for disaster. And I think the Wacha bullpen talk has sailed. Other than the handful of outings where it didn't look like he could even get past the 5th inning, you can make an argument that he's been our best starter this year. 

9 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

With the Bullpen struggles this year, do you reconsider bringing back Lance Lynn beyond this season? Have the same rotation going into the 2018 season and add Alex Reyes to that bullpen seems like a smart move, no? 

If Lance Lynn wants to come back on a 2-3 year deal absolutely...

He won't though and I'm not a fan of giving out 5+ year deals to pitchers in their 30's, especially ones that aren't thought of as an 'ace' type...

13 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Unless he's willing to come back on a short-term deal, no.  And I don't think he's going to be willing to do that.  Right now, you've got Carlos Martinez, Adam Wainwright, and Mike Leake guaranteed SP spots given their contract status.  And if Michael Wacha continues to pitch as well as he has down the stretch, I'm not sure there's any way you can take him out of the rotation either.  So that last spot likely comes down to Alex Reyes, Luke Weaver, and to a much lesser extent Jack Flaherty.

11 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think the better question is do you sell high on Michael Wacha?  He's on pace to post a 3+ WAR season, and that was with a horrible May and June.  If you believe his results are real, that's a 4+ WAR SP whose got two more years of team control.  In theory, the Cardinals could get quite a bit for him.  But if they think he's regained his stuff/health, they might not want to deal him either.

11 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I know he's a starter, but why force a guy coming off TJS into the rotation? Why not try and ease him back a bit? He's still young and the most innings he's pitched in a season was 111 last year. Asking a guy who's coming off TJS to eat the majority of the innings that Lance Lynn gives you could be a recipe for disaster. And I think the Wacha bullpen talk has sailed. Other than the handful of outings where it didn't look like he could even get past the 5th inning, you can make an argument that he's been our best starter this year. 

And on Cue....

Wadye Ynfante and Jonathan Machado have been pretty impressive thus far in the lower minors. Ynfante has shown surprising power this year with 6 home runs in 131 at bats. Before this year, he totaled 6 homers in his previous 560 at bats. And Machado is a guy I believe we signed for a little over $2 million last year. +runner +defender, has a really nice swing (looks Ichiro-like) but has absolutely no power. And it doesn't really look like he's going to grow into any power either. 

Our outfield depth in the minors is ridiculous. O'Neil, Bader, Sierra are guys who probably have at least an 80% chance of making a 25-man roster one day. and then the next tier would be guys like Adolis Garcia, Randy Arozerana, Oscar Mercado, Nick Plummer, Dylan Carlson, Terry Fuller, Jonathan Machado, Wadye Ynfante....Not saying all these guys are major league talents, but the depth is pretty impressive and they're guys worth keeping tabs on. And I think Fuller and Carlson project better as 1st basemen down the road.