The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being some sort of weird 3-team deal with NY Yankees and Tampa Bay, where we send either Tyler O'Neill or Dylan Carlson (more likely) to New York, and one of their high-level prospect SP was sent to Seattle.  And one of the young Mariners' starters end up in St. Louis while Edman headed to Seattle.

I wouldn't hate that. I'd move Edman before Gorman too. I think it'd be really tough to say goodbye to Nolan. We've worked so hard at getting him to be passable at 2B. 

9 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Victor Scott has apparently been tearing it up in the AFL. Faint wait till he gets the AL playoff MVP in a few years! 

Dude is an absolute terror on the basepaths for opposing teams. His defense, speed and ability to get on base have him looking like a legit major leage leadoff hitter

11 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

A Blue Jays insider floated the idea of a Dylan Carlson for Alek Monoah straight up trade.

If the medicals are clear, I wouldn't hate that.  He struggled last year, but the year before he looked like he was breaking out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If the medicals are clear, I wouldn't hate that.  He struggled last year, but the year before he looked like he was breaking out.

But do we think the Pitch Clock and him being a hefty boy is one of the real causes to his issues? It seemed like alot of the bigger fellas didnt do well this year, maybe coincidence but the Clock isnt going anywhere

20 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wouldn't be too upset to lose either of these guys. If we ditch Donovan, we'll probably keep Edman and vice versa. 

Donovan would be the painful one of the two to loose, but I think dealing him over a Gorman would be more ideal IMO. Lars Nootbaar is essentially the same player as Dnovan with the bat (high OBP with some pop), so you'd still have that type of profile in your lineup.

Like you said, youd still have Edman then to play that super utility role around the infield and he showed the ability last eyar to play a pretty good defensive CF as well. 

28 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

But do we think the Pitch Clock and him being a hefty boy is one of the real causes to his issues? It seemed like alot of the bigger fellas didnt do well this year, maybe coincidence but the Clock isnt going anywhere

I think the pitch clock caused a lot of issues for not just the heftier pitchers, but a good number of veterans across the league, especially through the first (3) months of the season.

I think that is something that is adjustable with time. I think Monoah's continued struggles were more to do with his inability to locate any of his off-speed pitches. he really lost a feel for his change-up and slider at the same time. His walks went way up and his hard contact rate went way up because of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Donovan would be the painful one of the two to loose, but I think dealing him over a Gorman would be more ideal IMO. Lars Nootbaar is essentially the same player as Dnovan with the bat (high OBP with some pop), so you'd still have that type of profile in your lineup.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be pumped to lose Donovan. I'm pretty meh on Burleson, though. If we got something helpful back for Donovan, I'd be for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Welp there’s one gone. Yamamoto isn’t happening because Dewitt isn’t giving out a contract like that. 

Honestly, I don't think the Cardinals were ever serious on Nola.  Don't get me wrong, I think they wanted Nola but they weren't probably willing to go to 7 (or 8.) years to get Nola.  I think whoever was willing to go to 7 years would end up with Nola with a slight advantage to Philadelphia.  I think if the offers were close, he was returning.

20 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Welp there’s one gone. Yamamoto isn’t happening because Dewitt isn’t giving out a contract like that. 

That's not why it's not happening. We've seen us be willing to offer a FA starter close to a $200M deal already in the past. He's not coming here because he wants to play in a large media market and it just so happens those teams (Dodgers,Cubs, Yankees, Mets, Red Sox)  all are agressively pursuing pitching this offseason too. Youre never going to be able to sway him away when they're offering same (if not more money) and have that factor built in. Nothing we can do on that front. 

We should be shopping in the Shoto Imanaga market though. 

Edited by kgarrett12486

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I don't think the Cardinals were ever serious on Nola.  Don't get me wrong, I think they wanted Nola but they weren't probably willing to go to 7 (or 8.) years to get Nola.  I think whoever was willing to go to 7 years would end up with Nola with a slight advantage to Philadelphia.  I think if the offers were close, he was returning.

I think they were serious about pursuing him and I actually think he was the one FA they would've committed the extra year/money to because of the fit. 

I think they (along with other teams) didn't plan on being met with a brush off, which is essentially what happened. I think we pivoted away from him pretty quickly when that was realized. I saw some sources close to the situation basically say that Nola told his agent to work every avenue with the Phillies before taking outside offers to him. He told his agenet he wanted to be back in Philly. It's pretty evident too give the home town doiscount he gave them on the AAV. 

I heard we've been one of the most aggressive teams on the trade front for pitching thus far and in particular on Dylan Cease.