The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've never heard of him. Why do you say that?

We're going to be looking for rotation help and he'll most likely be dealt by the CWS. He just screams a Cardinals type acquisition. 

He flamed out his first go around in the MLB and went over to Korea last year and completely overhauled his arsenal (I believe we even scouted him over there as well). He's been pitching like a #2 starter thus far, but he's probably more of a low end #3 or high end #4 on a contender. He's on a very reasonable (2) year - $15M deal and probably won't cost a ton prospect wise to obtain.

18 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We're going to be looking for rotation help and he'll most likely be dealt by the CWS. He just screams a Cardinals type acquisition. 

He flamed out his first go around in the MLB and went over to Korea last year and completely overhauled his arsenal (I believe we even scouted him over there as well). He's been pitching like a #2 starter thus far, but he's probably more of a low end #3 or high end #4 on a contender. He's on a very reasonable (2) year - $15M deal and probably won't cost a ton prospect wise to obtain.

Any kind of rotation reinforcements would be appreciated. I'd rather swing a little higher than him, but like you said, this sounds like a Cards move. 

With Contreras back in the fold, Noot is expected to be back at the ASB and Edman shortly after what is your guys expected line-up at that point?

Mine would be:

1. Winn SS

2. Burleson RF

3. Contreras C

4. Nootbaar LF

5. Goldschmidt 1B

6. Donovan 2B

7. Gorman DH

8. Arenado 3B

9. Edman/Siani CF

I swear, as soon as I bring up Edman being close to coming back after ASB:

Tommy Edman, who is working his way back from wrist surgery, suffered a sprained ankle while taking grounders on Tuesday.

It sounds like this could be a real setback for Edman, but we’ll know more later. Edman appeared to be getting fairly close to beginning a minor league rehab assignment.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Guess we better get used to seeing Siani. We really an upgrade at CF. Noot belongs in RF.

IMO, Siani has been a god send in CF. We have (2) of the best defensive players in the MLB in Winn and Siani and the both play up the middle, which is incredibly imporant. I'm perfectly fine with him not really offering anything with the bat consistently at the very bottom of my order because we have enough other peices to supplement that (even with Arenado and Goldy sucking).

For reference:

The first-half defensive success for Siani already has him in rare company in terms of Cardinal defenders. His 11 outs above average rank eighth for the Cardinals since 2016, and he is within striking distance of all the names ahead of him. Tommy Edman, who had 19 outs above average in the 2022 season at shortstop, and Harrison Bader’s 18 outs above average at center field in 2018 represent the Cardinals’ top single-season fielders in that metric since it started being tracked.

Siani also owns two five-star catches this season, which is tied for the fourth-most among outfielders in MLB. He has not allowed a batted ball with a catch probability of more than 25% to touch down, per Baseball Savant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Back to back 5 ip, no hit starts by Hjerpe in Double-A

He reminds me so much of Chris Sale when I watch him with his motion. Not quite the same level of stuff, but I think he's going to be really effective at the MLB level. 

As @TheDanGuerrero reported earlier, Quinn Mathews has been promoted to Springfield.

Last pitcher I could find who was promoted through four levels in one season (not rehabs) was Maikel Cleto in 2011. Would bet on Mathews joining him.

Maybe five?

— Jeff Jones (@jmjones) June 24, 2024

Anyone see this? This would be quite a feat. he has been tearing up every level so far.

Mathews has been dominant at each level he's pitched this year; across two leagues, he has a 2.18 ERA, 0.78 WHIP, and he's struck out 110 batters in just 74.1 innings. There have been few holds in his game thus far, as he's not allowing home runs, hits, walks, or hard contact. He's getting whiffs at a rate in excess of 36.5% between the two leagues

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Anyone see this? This would be quite a feat. he has been tearing up every level so far.

Yeah Mathews has been really damn good this year. He’s a different pitcher this year than what he was in college. Last year he was 91-92 on his FB, this year he’s 95-97. Interested to see what he does in a league more appropriate for his age. I know he recently made an appearance on BA’s top 100 prospect list. 

We have some really exciting pitching down in the system.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 12:24 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

I swear, as soon as I bring up Edman being close to coming back after ASB:

I said it before. I’m not counting on Edman for anything this season.

But if we want to be any type of threat, we need a CF with a bat, especially since some of our other guys aren’t reliable at this point of the season