The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

4 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Damn even the last place Cubbies are buyers.

At this point, only Miami and Colorado are out of the playoff mix.  That's why the Cardinals should be capitalizing on a seller's market.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

There's value on the roster.  If the Cardinals were willing to move Sonny Gray, he'd easily jump to atop the market in terms of trade value.  Willson Contreras definitely would have value if the Cardinals were willing to move him.  They probably won't fetch a ton by Kyle Gibson and Miles Mikolas probably have value as a deadline trade.

Bro, I was joking.  Just still reeling after the 4 run 10th on Friday.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's value on the roster.  If the Cardinals were willing to move Sonny Gray, he'd easily jump to atop the market in terms of trade value.  Willson Contreras definitely would have value if the Cardinals were willing to move him.  They probably won't fetch a ton by Kyle Gibson and Miles Mikolas probably have value as a deadline trade.

I’m not one to say things like “it will never happen, so don’t waste your breath” but what you are suggesting here is a commitment to a multi year (possibly long term) rebuild. Something that 82 year old Bill DeWitt Jr would never sign off on at this point. So yea… 

Which is why I had hope that we would go the other way, and trade away prospects for more proven and controlled talent. But that seems just as likely until Mo is stripped of power

21 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’m not one to say things like “it will never happen, so don’t waste your breath” but what you are suggesting here is a commitment to a multi year (possibly long term) rebuild. Something that 82 year old Bill DeWitt Jr would never sign off on at this point. So yea… 

Which is why I had hope that we would go the other way, and trade away prospects for more proven and controlled talent. But that seems just as likely until Mo is stripped of power

Oh, I have zero doubts that it'll never happen.  But let's look at the reality of the current Cardinals.  Since 2022, the Cardinals are a combined 125-146.  Their "stars" currently have a 103 wRC+ (Nolan Arenado) and 89 wRC+ (Paul Goldschmidt).  They're 18th in wOBA, 16th in wRC+, and 18th in fWAR.  Pitching wise, they're not much better.  They're 18th in ERA, 14th in FIP, and 15th in fWAR.  Pretty much, the only good part about the Cardinals is their bullpen.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Oh, I have zero doubts that it'll never happen.  But let's look at the reality of the current Cardinals.  Since 2022, the Cardinals are a combined 125-146.  Their "stars" currently have a 103 wRC+ (Nolan Arenado) and 89 wRC+ (Paul Goldschmidt).  They're 18th in wOBA, 16th in wRC+, and 18th in fWAR.  Pitching wise, they're not much better.  They're 18th in ERA, 14th in FIP, and 15th in fWAR.  Pretty much, the only good part about the Cardinals is their bullpen.

Oh I am with you, its how you have to rebuild (sustainably) in Baseball. We need to rebuild the farm system. You cant be bottom 10 and expect to have a good big league product unless your 40 man is full of young ascending talent. Which we have like a few of and thats it.

I dont think Arenado is washed or anything, he clearly had a drop though. But you have to keep him as part of the near future, or take 10 cents on the dollar just to get rid of the contract.

I have never been in agreement with the idea that you trade away Sonny, this franchise has been trying to get him for the past 5 years and finally did. And its not like you have a young Ace in the wings to take over (I like Tink, but he isnt there)

To me, this team is 2 moves away from being a real contender, but they would have to be major moves, not half measures (or less) that we have been taking for the past decade. We need a REAL Bat who can be locked in at CF, and another TOR arm to pair with Gray. But again, you would have to stop going for the middle tier (or worse) arms and acutally take a chance, and you would actually have to part with some prospects/talent instead of letting them die on the vine as we ship them off for a bucket of balls

• Like 1

Tommy Edman is being moved. Reports are deal is being finalized. Expected to be a 3 team deal.

Cards are not trading for anything significant. If you heard John Denton, ownership is not prepared to take on significant money and is basically in dollar in/out mode.

Unreal this is the situation we're in, but the RSN stuff continues to haunt us.

According to MLB Network’s Jon Heyman, the St. Louis Cardinals are making a strong push to acquire RHP Erick Fedde. Heyman reports that there is “nothing definitive but some momentum there.”

EDIT: Rosenthal now saying deal is Fedde to Cards, Edman to Dodgers and prospects to White Sox

46 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:
According to MLB Network’s Jon Heyman, the St. Louis Cardinals are making a strong push to acquire RHP Erick Fedde. Heyman reports that there is “nothing definitive but some momentum there.”

EDIT: Rosenthal now saying deal is Fedde to Cards, Edman to Dodgers and prospects to White Sox

Getting Fedde for Edman is a really good deal. We'll need to see what prospects we lost, though.

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Getting Fedde for Edman is a really good deal. We'll need to see what prospects we lost, though.

So Michael Kopech is going to Dodgers as well, Miguel Vargas going to Sox and...

Tommy Pham makes his way back to us!

More to come. I'd expect Carlson to be in this deal.

4 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

So Michael Kopech is going to Dodgers as well, Miguel Vargas going to Sox and...

Tommy Pham makes his way back to us!

More to come. I'd expect Carlson to be in this deal.

Woah

I hadn't heard the Pham part. That's at least somewhat intriguing. I haven't kept up with him in a long time. He's not good enough to be our answer in CF, is he? 

7 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Holy ****! Apparently all we gave up in the deal is Edman. If so, that is a steal for us.

Fedde was the best SP we could've gotten given the money situation and we also get another need in one of the top RH bats on market.

It definitely does seem like a good trade. Pham is one of the top RH bats? There must not be many available. He's got a negative WAR this year. Just from a stat watching perspective, he doesn't seem to move the needle much. He's better than what we've got in CF, but I'm not sure he's a starter on a contender. Maybe winning will help him?

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It definitely does seem like a good trade. Pham is one of the top RH bats? There must not be many available. He's got a negative WAR this year. Just from a stat watching perspective, he doesn't seem to move the needle much. He's better than what we've got in CF, but I'm not sure he's a starter on a contender. Maybe winning will help him?

Sorry, i should've specified. He's one of the best RH bench/platoon bats on the market. 

That's what he'll be here. Siani is still the everyday CF on this team for his defense.

• Like 1