The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Congrats to VSII on the 1st career homerun. Hopefully the adjustments he made with Ryan Ludwick on his swing stance/load the past (3) weeks at AAA before he came up carry over up here.

I missed that part of the broadcast. Did Luddy have him add a bigger leg kick? 

We're going to need Noot, Walker, Winn, or Gorman to take a huge stride next year if we want to be good. Preferably more than one of them. Our lineup is full of solid, but we have no stars. Goldy and Nado falling off together pretty much doomed it. A lineup, in my view, needs to be at least solid all the way up and down. It also needs at least 2 guys to buoy it.

It doesn't seem like our FO is going to spend to bring in a star. So those aforementioned guys are going to have to step up and do it. I don't think Nado is going to be able to get to that level again(I don't think he's washed, but I don't think he'll be a star again). Contreras is close to being that guy, but probably will never be a 1A type of guy. I think Noot, Walker, Winn, and Gorman have the chance to develop into that 1A type. That's a huge ask for those guys, though. I think Winn is awesome, I just think it's hard to be optimistic that he'll take an even bigger step next year. 

JJ Wetherholt off to a nice start to his pro-career. In his first (10) games:

1 homerun, 2 doubles, 6 RBI, 8/3 BB/K's, .452 OBP and .885 OPS

Speaking of MILB player getting hot. Jordan Walker over his last 16 games has an OPS over 1.000. Since the beginning of August .349/.404/.674 line with 15 total hits, three doubles, three round-trippers, five RBI, and a 4:9 BB:K ratio

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Speaking of MILB player getting hot. Jordan Walker over his last 16 games has an OPS over 1.000. Since the beginning of August .349/.404/.674 line with 15 total hits, three doubles, three round-trippers, five RBI, and a 4:9 BB:K ratio

He's younger than Victor Scott. I hope it's clicked for him. 

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

JJ Wetherholt off to a nice start to his pro-career. In his first (10) games:

1 homerun, 2 doubles, 6 RBI, 8/3 BB/K's, .452 OBP and .885 OPS

Mo must have seen this post. Walker’s our starting RF tonight.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

He better stay hot, or this could do some real damage to him as a prospect

At this point, he's going to be yet another guy the Cardinals dealt low on if he doesn't continue to play well.

• Like 2

This FO continues to be one of (if not the worst) in the MLB in managing the 40-man roster and just call-ups/send downs in general. It continues to handcuff us year after year. 

I hate that we brought Walker back up after a 17-game stretch where he was truly turning a corner. They should have let him stay down and continue the success and get more comfortable with his new stance. Instead, we bring him up and then proceed to make him a platoon RF. But wait, it gets better...

They're using him solely against LHP's. If you go back and look at his numbers (both in the minors this season and at MLB level and minors last year) he's been a more productive hitter against RHPs. Seriously, WTF are we doing. If they wanted a guy to come up and play sparingly and solely hit LHP that guy is Luken Baker. He's mashed them in AAA. I've lost all faith in this organization being able to develop players. There actively doing them disservice at this point. 

Like @ttitansfan4life said, this FO has officially run its course after this disaster repeat of a season. They have to clean house up there. I'm fine with dismissing Oli as well, but it's going to be irrelevant unless they clean out the FO and shift away from their FO's organizational montra. If they just promote another from within, it's just continued exercise in futility as the manager continues to just be an extension of the FO in almost every aspect. They need to push their chips in again for Skip and give him some free reign to separate from the FO in roster management. I fully expect changes to come with some of these young core pieces who have now been here 2-3 years and haven't been able to take that next step (Nootbaar, Gorman, etc.) this offseason. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

This FO continues to be one of (if not the worst) in the MLB in managing the 40-man roster and just call-ups/send downs in general. It continues to handcuff us year after year. 

Complacency.  It's the same stuff we went through the latter years of Walt Jocketty.

Well, with the series sweep by the Reds I'm officially writing off this season. Don't care that we're still within striking distance of the 3rd WC spot, I saw something that we'd have to go like 24-17 from here on out to have better than 25% chance of making the playoffs. It's not happening. 

As such, shifting gears to the prospects. MLB.com just put their revamped top 100 prospects. 

1. JJ Wetherholt comes in at #19 - The only players ahead of him from the 2024 draft class were Charlie Condon (#12), Travis Bazzana (#13) and Jac Caglianone (#18).

2. Tink Hence at #51

3. Quinn Mathews at #86

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Well, with the series sweep by the Reds I'm officially writing off this season. Don't care that we're still within striking distance of the 3rd WC spot, I saw something that we'd have to go like 24-17 from here on out to have better than 25% chance of making the playoffs. It's not happening. 

As such, shifting gears to the prospects. MLB.com just put their revamped top 100 prospects. 

1. JJ Wetherholt comes in at #19 - The only players ahead of him from the 2024 draft class were Charlie Condon (#12), Travis Bazzana (#13) and Jac Caglianone (#18).

2. Tink Hence at #51

3. Quinn Mathews at #86

Hence battling injuries is an underrated crap part of this season. He's still yet to hit 100 innings pitched in his career. I think Matthews may have jumped him in terms of ETA. 

Looking at the whole list, we are absolutely stacked with Catching prospects. 

10 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Hence battling injuries is an underrated crap part of this season. He's still yet to hit 100 innings pitched in his career. I think Matthews may have jumped him in terms of ETA. 

Looking at the whole list, we are absolutely stacked with Catching prospects. 

Yep.  Tink missing a good chunk of the season doesn't help his stock.  Only throwing 4.2 innings in June and July definitely put a damper on the enthusiasm.  Not really surprising that most have JJ Wetherholt as our #1 prospect.  Not sure I'm ready to put Matthews ahead of him, although momentum is certainly on Quinn's side.