49ers Sign QB Sam Darnold to a One Year Deal

J-ALL-DAY

16 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

We're definitely getting a UDFA or at best, a 7th round pick QB to be on the PS. 

I've had it in my head for weeks now that we're picking up a QB, RB, and WR in the 7th round or UDFA. I don't think we take a player at these three positions any higher than maybe the 6th. 

Kyle: "Third round it is"

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Shanahan is way too excited about Sam Darnold. Our HC is weird. He's all about his genius schemes and fancy schmancy passing attack

but when it comes to QB... he'd rather have Joe Schmoe from Starbucks on the discount shelf at the dollar general than an actual elite QB.

The days of Brad Johnson winning the superbowl are over, Kyle

back in the day it was "Offense wins game, defense wins championships"

But now its "offense wins games, HOF QBs win championships" 

Edited by Herodreamer79
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Shanahan is way too excited about Sam Darnold. Our HC is weird. He's all about his genius schemes and fancy schmancy passing attack

but when it comes to QB... he'd rather have Joe Schmoe from Starbucks on the discount shelf at the dollar general than an actual elite QB.

The days of Brad Johnson winning the superbowl are over, Kyle

back in the day it was "Offense wins game, defense wins championships"

But now its "offense wins games, HOF QBs win championships" 

To his credit, he tried with Lance and it looks like it backfired in his face (for now, at least).

And if we're being honest, had we had merely a more accurate QB with marginal deep ball acumen, we beat the Chiefs in 2020.

I agree with you, it's much easier crossing the finish line bringing a Ferrari to the racetrack instead of Hyundai.

But honestly, Shanny just needs an efficient QB who has relatively strong arm to really stretch defenses.

Why that's been so hard for him and Lynch to acquire thus far is beyond me.

But you really don't need the next Josh Allen to take this offense to the next level.

It would be AWESOME to witness, no doubt.

But just merely a more accurate, less mistake prone version of Jimmy probably has him two Lombardi's up right now.

• Like 2

Better pass blocks + an efficient, cheap option like Purdy is a fine way to go, for now.

Why? because it allows us to sign top guys like Hargrave and Bosa. I like the trio of Purdy, Lance, and Darnold as we head into our SB 6 season. We just need to protect them, and FFS, design no plays where we block opponent's best pass rusher with our worst pass blocker. 

• Like 3

Jalen Hargrave is a fine player. 

But keep in mind... the Eagles had pretty much the greatest d-line pass rush ever assembled in the salary cap era. They were also one of the best defenses in the NFL. 

Against the greatest QB on the planet that got 0 sacks and nearly gave up a 40 burger. 

the 49ers own Nick Bosa, DPOY and 2022 NFL Sack Leader got 0 sacks in the post-season. 

Kyle and John's defense has always been "good enough", but yet the focus year after year is dumping more money and resources into it. then they throw up their hands and yell at the refs cause "they didn't call holding"   

It's not the defense guys it's your QBs. they aren't getting it done. 

Edited by Herodreamer79

20 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

To his credit, he tried with Lance and it looks like it backfired in his face (for now, at least).

And if we're being honest, had we had merely a more accurate QB with marginal deep ball acumen, we beat the Chiefs in 2020.

I agree with you, it's much easier crossing the finish line bringing a Ferrari to the racetrack instead of Hyundai.

But honestly, Shanny just needs an efficient QB who has relatively strong arm to really stretch defenses.

Why that's been so hard for him and Lynch to acquire thus far is beyond me.

But you really don't need the next Josh Allen to take this offense to the next level.

It would be AWESOME to witness, no doubt.

But just merely a more accurate, less mistake prone version of Jimmy probably has him two Lombardi's up right now.

Honestly, I'm not sure how in on Lance Shanny was when he realized Trey wasn't as close as Shanny thought. I don't think Shanny has any desire to "develop" a QB. I think they can do what he wants or they can't. That's why for years I thought he wouldn't take a first round QB and one of the primary driving factors I thought he was going to take Mac Jones. 

The thing is that when you get into the playoffs, you're typically playing the better teams and potentially much better defenses, so the QB almost always has to "step up" at some point. QBs who are "good enough" in the regular season don't often have the capacity to do that consistently enough in the post season. It happens, but the margins are super thin. Think about all the money we had invested in positions outside of QB last year and how the offensive line still got boat raced by Dallas and Philly. KC still made our defense look like Seattle's when we played them. Against Dallas the defense really stepped up for the offensive line and Purdy was good enough (and it should have been better if Aiyuk doesn't drop that ball), but if the defense wasn't as lights out as it was (which I'd be hesitant to bank on in this league given it's desire for offense), we could have easily lost that game. So even spending all the money we do outside the QB position, there are going to be times (especially in the playoffs) where the team is simply getting beat by another team and you need that QB to move up. I think you can make the argument that this team has arguably had the best roster in football excluding QB in 3 of the last 4 years and teams are still able to put it to us here and there. 

Jimmy wilted in those situations and he was just bad. Not sure about Brock...I thought he was pretty meh against Seattle, despite the stats, and I thought he was fine against Dallas, particularly given how under duress he was (and he had that great play that Aiyuk dropped), so already he's off to a better start than Jimmy tbh lol. If he can be that guy who can still up his game in the playoffs against better opponents even if he's not one of the best in the business, I think that is a good spot for Shanny. For being a rookie and all that, grading on a curve, he was excellent. But that also needs to get better as he develops as well. i'll be curious to see if it does. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

We just need to protect them

the 49ers gave up 33 sacks last year. only 5 teams gave up less. 

our QBs are protected just fine. 

Lance, Garoppolo and Purdy all got hurt with less than 5 pass attempts in a game. 

they don't need better pass protection. they need a QB who doesn't shatter like glass on their first damn hit of the game

Edited by Herodreamer79

I'm not saying sign Lamar Jackson... but the current state of the 49ers QB room gives me the bubble guts.

I mean Purdy was a limited QB to begin with and he just destroyed his throwing arm. Trey Lance has almost no playing experience and the coaching staff has fostered and nurtured an atmosphere to where the entire locker room has ZERO belief in the kid - who BY THE WAY is coming off his own serious injury

and to top it all off Kyle and John's answer to these MASSIVE questions about their starting QBs is to sign...wait for it.... SAM FREAKING DARNOLD and be like

Show Off Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

Edited by Herodreamer79

6 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

I'm not saying sign Lamar Jackson... but the current state of the 49ers QB room gives me the bubble guts.

I mean Purdy was a limited QB to begin with and he just destroyed his throwing arm. Trey Lance has almost no playing experience and the coaching staff has fostered and nurtured an atmosphere to where the entire locker room has ZERO belief in the kid - who BY THE WAY is coming off his own serious injury

and to top it all off Kyle and John's answer to these MASSIVE questions about their starting QBs is to sign...wait for it.... SAM FREAKING DARNOLD and be like

Show Off Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

I think you're being a tad over-dramatic here.

Purdy should recover just fine and should be ready by Week 4 if you're on the pessimistic end. That means we only need Darnold or Trey to hold down the fort for 4 games at the minimum. 

And I'd ask you to name a better QB room at the moment. Darnold in a vaccum, is no worst than Jimmy. And Jimmy led us to a SB and a NFCCG the last two seasons he was healthy enough to closeout the year.

Lance is the unknown but we all know the upside is there. Will he be here long enough for us to witness it is the big question.

I'm totally fine with the QB room as constructed. Shanny is not going to put the offense on the arm of any of these QBs. They'll be propped up as always by a stout running game and one of the better defenses in the league. And I expect the draft will be use to retool that defense so we can strengthen depth, while building succession for the next several seasons at certain positions.

I'm almost certain we'll grab a young QB late in the draft or through UDFA and try to stick them on PS, much like we tried to do with Purdy. 

This QB room is miles better than when we had Mullens and Beat Hard as the only options behind a medicore Jimmy.

Like I said, I understand the argument for a more toolsy QB1. But as a collective, I don't see much better around the league. You could argue Philly, who now has Mariota as a back-up. But you're one high-ankle sprain away from relying on your QB2 or QB3. And I think we've done well bolstering the in-game ability of both those options.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Over dramatic? Not really -especially with the news the 49ers are looking at trade offers. 

really? are we sure purdy will be ready by week 4? are we sure his arm will even be what it was? 49ers are always wrong in the injury timelines. 

This is one of their last chances with lance on the cheap. they have to play him.  Purdy is a rookie. he's not going anywhere. 

their only shot at winning the superbowl is if he develops into a top 10 QB. 

i just don't see it with Purdy. sure, he'll win 12 regular season games in this soft conference and take down even a playoff team or 2.

but you're not beating Patrick Mahomes or Josh allen or Joe Burrow in the supebowl like that. 

you need to be special at QB (especially with Shanahan's propensity for glitching in big games). and the 49ers only chance of having that is with Trey.  

Edited by Herodreamer79

19 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Over dramatic? Not really -especially with the news the 49ers are looking at trade offers. 

really? are we sure purdy will be ready by week 4? are we sure his arm will even be what it was? 49ers are always wrong in the injury timelines. 

This is one of their last chances with lance on the cheap. they have to play him.  Purdy is a rookie. he's not going anywhere. 

their only shot at winning the superbowl is if he develops into a top 10 QB. 

i just don't see it with Purdy. sure, he'll win 12 regular season games in this soft conference and take down even a playoff team or 2.

but you're not beating Patrick Mahomes or Josh allen or Joe Burrow in the supebowl like that. 

you need to be special at QB (especially with Shanahan's propensity for glitching in big games). and the 49ers only chance of having that is with Trey.  

Don't really have to worry about it unless someone ponies up something worthwhile on Lance, which I doubt happens. 

He'll get a chance to beat out Sam Darnold for QB2 and perhaps get a chance to make it a rough decision on whether or not to re-install Purdy as a starting QB. That second one may be a little tricky because if by some miracle Purdy can start week 1, they are probably going to let him. 

• Like 1

Personally, I think the team should start Lance Week 1. This gives Purdy a few more weeks to heal up, gives Lance a true chance to compete for the starting job, and gives the team a fair chance to see what he can do and possibly increase his trade value if he does well. If he plays as well as Shanahan hoped when he drafted him #3, then keep him as the starter and keep Purdy as a cheap high-end backup. If he doesn't, Purdy can be brought back pretty quickly. I think they end up starting Purdy in Week 1 if he's cleared to play though.