Right on the nose

rlon

I believe one of these five players will need to be a Steeler in this draft, provided that Jalen doesn’t drop to 17….

uparrow_hp.gif +25

photo of 202 NFL Draft prospect BentonKeeanu.jpg

Keeanu Benton
Wisconsin

6'4"

SR

BIO

--

photo of 202 NFL Draft prospect IkaSiaki.jpg

Siaki Ika
Baylor

6'3"

RJR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif +10

photo of 202 NFL Draft prospect SmithMazi.jpg

Mazi Smith
Michigan

6'3"

SR

BIO

--

photo of 202 NFL Draft prospect CoburnKeondre.jpg

Keondre Coburn
Texas

6'2"

RSR

BIO

--

photo of 202 NFL Draft prospect ClarkJerrod.jpg

Jerrod Clark
Coastal Carolina

6'4"

RSR

BIO

I like Benton the most with Mazi right behind him. I wouldn’t take any of the others before the 4th round, though. The kid from Penn State is just as good as Coburn, Clark, and Ika. I think Benton and Mazi offer the best blend of high floor(which they pretty much all have) and high ceiling. They have shown moves(Benton) or have the athleticism(Mazi Smith) that could allow them to develop into pass rush options. I don’t see the benefit of a purely run stuffing NT. 

It would help the defence to get one of these players, but who and when remains to be seen  of course.  Much prefer one of these players early as opposed to a ILB that is in this draft. 

Whats the latest regarding Mazi vs Breese for the Steelers?

The only way I'm going nose tackle is if I'm changing my defense. 

Right now, they play 4-2-5 the whole game. 

I think you can run Base 3-4  against 11 personnel (1RB, 1TE). You would need players to match slot, TE, RB. Not flinching (submitting) is so important for control. 

And then I go 3-2-6 as my "dime" when they bring a 4th WR on the field. With a nose tackle and two edge rushers.  It's a "knockdown", if you will (NFL Blitz). Especially, when we chuck...

This is all irrelevant as this is Mike Tomlin's defense and he runs 4 down. But if I ran three, and drafted premium matchup defensive players, and a nose tackle, a three man front is in their best interests going forward. 

Removing a defensive lineman will always be the answer to finding solutions in space. The play speed variance will change (time per play) bc it's not so monotonous, or predictable, but it should allow for more turnovers from the constant pressure and having more guys on their feet

Sometimes... I just wanna get close. But always pressure, pressure, pressure...

Brady killed this team from years from the senseless pressure. You can't pressure and then leave an open spot. Getting pressured and dumping it off becomes the play.

Pressure is like a dragon puff. You have troops positioned strategically to force a retreat so your enemy walks into an ambush

7 minutes ago, Raidersfan1 said:

Brady killed this team from years from the senseless pressure. You can't pressure and then leave an open spot. Getting pressured and dumping it off becomes the play.

Pressure is like a dragon puff. You have troops positioned strategically to force a retreat so your enemy walks into an ambush

I think blitzing is still very effective against everyone but the upper tier of teams. The only QB in the North I’m hesitant to blitz is Joe. If the blitzes are creative I see no issue doing it to Joe.

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think blitzing is still very effective against everyone but the upper tier of teams. The only QB in the North I’m hesitant to blitz is Joe. If the blitzes are creative I see no issue doing it to Joe.

Probably like a 70% blitz profile. I don't have a problem with blitz, I have a problem with stupidity, matchups, and not fixing what's not working

43 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I like Coburn the most of all those guys. He's a true 3 down DL who is surprisingly nimble for a 344lb NT. His hand usage & ability to get off blocks & clog running lanes plus him pushing the pocket makes Coburn more valuable to me.

Clark seems slow. Where do you expect Coburn to get drafted? He looks quick for a DT of that weight.  This is where trading down a bit to get RD3 and RD4 picks really adds to the roster.  They could get 2 extra good players by trading down just a bit . Trade down from 17 just a few picks and then the 32 pick will yield a nice trade as well. Teams have all night to decide what they want to trade for  the 32 pick

Still bring in Linval Joseph  as well

When I don't see the fascination with a player on tape, I like to know what game or games Im supposed to watch to be impressed with the player that garners the hype of being drafted in the first or second rounds.. 

Somebody have a game for Masi Smith to get me excited about?    

Edited by JustPlainNasty

23 hours ago, cjfollett said:

I am not sure about the list from the OP. Have you looked at this list?

https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/dt/all-colleges/

Man, I love me some Dante Stills. I can just see them clowning on this guy in an interview about his writeup. He can't do this. He can't do that. You know what he can do? This game. You sit. 

23 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

When I don't see the fascination with a player on tape, I like to know what game or games Im supposed to watch to be impressed with the player that garners the hype of being drafted in the first or second rounds.. 

Somebody have a game for Masi Smith to get me excited about?    

You know what they say in the barbershop? NEXT

cedric the entertainer barbershop GIF by Barbershop: The Next Cut

On 3/19/2023 at 2:53 PM, mwalker said:

Mazi Smith or Benton, for me. I think Smith is a baller.
Benton is old school strong, but Smith is a freak at his size.
I don't think they're only two down guys either.
Be happy with either.

Mazi Smith does not command a double team. If the NT doesn't command a double team, he can't play nose tackle in 3-4