2023 Draft Thread

Acgott

There was a rumor posted by some guy on twitter who claims to be kind of an insider and work in scouting offices. He said Schoen will announce the hiring of former executive soon. Interesting to see if that come true, and if it does, who it is.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

There was a rumor posted by some guy on twitter who claims to be kind of an insider and work in scouting offices. He said Schoen will announce the hiring of former executive soon. Interesting to see if that come true, and if it does, who it is.

Link?

4 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Duggan mentioned Ryan Cowden, VP of player personal for the titans, who got passed over for the GM job.

I believe he and Schoen are friends, so that would track. I do wonder how many 'high level' guys Schoen wants and if we are nearing too many. We've got Brandon Brown at AGM, a guy who could very easily become a GM elsewhere as soon as next year, Dennis Hickey is on staff, and now we are potentially adding a Ryan Cowden type. Seems like a lot.

17 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I believe he and Schoen are friends, so that would track. I do wonder how many 'high level' guys Schoen wants and if we are nearing too many. We've got Brandon Brown at AGM, a guy who could very easily become a GM elsewhere as soon as next year, Dennis Hickey is on staff, and now we are potentially adding a Ryan Cowden type. Seems like a lot.

We didn’t have a director of college scouting last year and Cowden was the asst director with the Panthers, so that would be a logical spot.

I was a little apprehensive going into this draft, but we came out with some front-end players I am really happy with. I believe Banks has the ability and work ethic to exorcise the Ghost of 1st-Round Corners Past.

Schoen saying he was satisfied with the current o-line worried me, but that turned out to be misdirection; he sprang for the most popular center in the draft, John Michael (Jingleheimer?) Schmitz. Well played, Joe.

And Jalin Hyatt was exactly the guy I wanted when I started looking at this year's crop of wideouts. The best way to keep teams from figuring out your offense is to keep adding new dimensions to it, and he certainly brings that. A player who can take the top off defenses and allow Daniel to use his quality deep ball.

Gray, Hawkins, Riley and Owens are quality late-rounders. If just one of them hits I'll be happy.

And I can't complain about our UDFAs in Bryce, Baldo and Tommy DeVito (a Jersey guy born and raised).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Yup. And the Giants were trying to trade up for Banks all along in the first. They desperately wanted him.

Loved the reaction from Schoen when the Bears jumped us in the 2nd lol

They didn’t specifically say we wanted to trade up for Banks, just that we were looking to trade up as high as 20. We don’t know if one of the receivers were higher.

44 minutes ago, Acgott said:

They didn’t specifically say we wanted to trade up for Banks, just that we were looking to trade up as high as 20. We don’t know if one of the receivers were higher.

They were looking to trade up above the Ravens, and Schoen said he was worried the Ravens were going to take "the corner" in that video.