2023 Draft Thread

Acgott

The Giants are bringing in every single potential first round WR for a 1-on-1 visit. I think the mental aspect of playing WR is especially important in Dabes's offense, and you can't gauge that too well just from the tape, so they are bringing these guys in to get a definitive read on how smart they are. Seems like the obvious conclusion to draw, but I really think the Giants are guaranteed going WR in round 1. I don't think that is the right move necessarily, but that's what I feel like they are going to do.

8 hours ago, minutemancl said:

The Giants are bringing in every single potential first round WR for a 1-on-1 visit. I think the mental aspect of playing WR is especially important in Dabes's offense, and you can't gauge that too well just from the tape, so they are bringing these guys in to get a definitive read on how smart they are. Seems like the obvious conclusion to draw, but I really think the Giants are guaranteed going WR in round 1. I don't think that is the right move necessarily, but that's what I feel like they are going to do.

Giants have met with 9 receivers during the draft process so far. There are 4 receivers ranked in the consensus top 32. There is a very good chance that all 4 are unavailable. With your stat about the 25th pick being traded, do you think the Giants are trading up?

16 hours ago, Acgott said:

Giants have met with 9 receivers during the draft process so far. There are 4 receivers ranked in the consensus top 32. There is a very good chance that all 4 are unavailable. With your stat about the 25th pick being traded, do you think the Giants are trading up?

I think if the Giants identify a WR they are sold on in that group of consensus 4, they will move up. I think 25 + 89 gets them into the early 20s to jump BAL and MIN for a WR. If that move is made because they are sold on a particular WR, I think it will be for Addison or Flowers. I think JSN is long gone by the time the 20s come up, and moving up beyond that would require too much capital.

I'd say the chances the Giants move up in the first for a WR are around 30% right now. I will say I am 100% certain that the Giants do not make 10 picks this year. We will be moving up or trading picks for other assets at some point in this draft. We have 3 7th round picks; there are diminishing returns there. Package those up to move up in the 5th or 6th for an outlier guy still remaining on your big board or something.

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I think if the Giants identify a WR they are sold on in that group of consensus 4, they will move up. I think 25 + 89 gets them into the early 20s to jump BAL and MIN for a WR. If that move is made because they are sold on a particular WR, I think it will be for Addison or Flowers. I think JSN is long gone by the time the 20s come up, and moving up beyond that would require too much capital.

I'd say the chances the Giants move up in the first for a WR are around 30% right now. I will say I am 100% certain that the Giants do not make 10 picks this year. We will be moving up or trading picks for other assets at some point in this draft. We have 3 7th round picks; there are diminishing returns there. Package those up to move up in the 5th or 6th for an outlier guy still remaining on your big board or something.

I definitely don’t think we will make the 10 picks either. We already have 74 players on the roster. Perfect opportunity to move up. I rather move up for a cornerback, but it seems like there is a lot more value in the top 100 there than receiver. 

Albert Breer mentioned the Giants are looking at pass rushers as well if it’s not a receiver. Can never have too many.

JP, it’s been documented that they’ve looked at the receiver group. GM Joe Schoen and coach Brian Daboll had dinner with Ohio State’s Jaxon Smith-Njigba and TCU’s Quentin Johnston the night before their respective pro days. That doesn’t mean they’re going to take one or the other at 25 (they may not be on the board then). But that the GM and head coach are allotting their time to them is meaningful. As is the fact that USC’s Jordan Addison is in Jersey today for a 30 visit, after having dinner with the team last month. 

The other area where it sure seems like they’re turning over rocks is with pass rushers, with Clemson’s Bryan Bresee and Iowa State’s Will McDonald IV among the first-round edge guys that are taking or have taken visits to East Rutherford.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/12/nfl-draft-texans-quarterback-cj-stroud-mailbag

• Like 1

Pass rusher is a sneaky need for this team. Kayvon had a good rookie year, really came on late in the season, and he's only going to get better. Azeez has injury concerns though, and the depth beyond that is really mediocre. Will McDonald is definitely a name to watch, but I really like Ade Adebawore. He's a shorter guy, but he still weighs 280 pounds and has insane athleticism; his testing numbers are actually just about the same or better than Travon Walker's. He can play both inside and outside. He's a guy I think the Giants will be looking at it some of their other targets are gone.

The need for CB is so great that I think if any of Gonzalez/Witherspoon/Porter Jr/Banks are available at 25, the Giants will sprint to the podium. It gets a lot more interesting when/if none of them are. Do you like Cam Smith enough? Do you not care about Forbes's weight? Do you look at another position?

I decided to put together a position likelihood by round. 🟢 is very possible, 🟡 is possible but not likely, 🔴 is not gonna happen. What would you guys change?

QB RB WR TE OT OG OC IDL EDGE ILB CB S K P
R1 🔴 🟡 🟢 🔴 🔴 🟡 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟡 🟢 🟡 🔴 🔴
R2 🔴 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴
R3 🟡 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴
R4 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴
R5 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴
R6 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟡
R7 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟡

Edited by GMENNATION
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

I decided to put together a position likelihood by round. 🟢 is very possible, 🟡 is possible but not likely, 🔴 is not gonna happen. What would you guys change?

QB RB WR TE OT OG OC IDL EDGE ILB CB S K P
R1 🔴 🟡 🟢 🔴 🔴 🟡 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟡 🟢 🟡 🔴 🔴
R2 🔴 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴
R3 🟡 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴
R4 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴
R5 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟢 🟢 🔴 🔴
R6 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟡
R7 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟢 🟢 🟡 🟡

If you have IDL as green in round 1, I would mark edge as green as well. I don’t think idl is any more likely. If you have yellow for quarterback in round 3, then I would change yellow for TE/OL. Too much of the board should rely on BPA and not position.

• Like 1