Raiders sign WR DeAndre Carter (1 yr/$2.3M)

NYRaider

Just now, raidr4life said:

Either way you go bpa in the draft and still fill needs 2nd wave of free agency after the draft. It's not that hard.

I value your opinion, but Ziegler said their strategy is to fill needs in free agency before the draft so that they can go BPA. So I'm assuming he thought WR was by far our biggest need, but it also makes sense now as to why Mark said he's being misguided and still doesn't know what he's doing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

jimmy-garoppolo-raiders-crop.jpg

minnesota-vikings-v-las-vegas-raiders.jp

NY be quiet. You are bipolar. You were down for Jimmy now you're not. This is what free agency is, signing players their teams decided not too. It's a gamble. Have you ever made a mistake?  Whatever they do, they will be criticized. Some fans will complain about everything happening or not happening in March with a team that has been horrible for 20 years. It's hilarious and kind of sad at the same time 😄 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Raiderlife24 said:

NY be quiet. You are bipolar. You were down for Jimmy now you're not. This is what free agency is, signing players their teams decided not too. It's a gamble. Have you ever made a mistake?  Whatever they do, they will be criticized. Some fans will complain about everything happening or not happening in March with a team that has been horrible for 20 years. It's hilarious and kind of sad at the same time 😄 

I'm fine with Jimmy. I'm just saying that they clearly weren't avoiding former players due to injury concerns considering what they paid Chandler/JG.

I just find it amusing how much they contradict themselves. Obviously anything in free agency is going to be a gamble, you're in denial though if you think that they've shown a commitment to improving the OL/defense. And yes @big_palooka we remember they spent a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th on those groups in the draft and about $13.99 on minimum deal guys in free agency this year.

Edited by NYRaider

theyve addressed needs in FA. QB, CB, WR, S, LB, TE, DL depth. I think they are banking on some young guys to develop and take another step. Draft and develop. WIth that being said, they need to nail the draft.

One thing to consider is that with these lower end deals, we wont be having much dead cap moving forward. That might be playing into it, cleaning the books while building through the draft and signing low risk high reward type players. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

It’s obvious all these WRs we signed aren’t making the team w/exception of Meyers. Unless we trade Renfrow, Only 3 are making it

Dorsett/Cole/Carter/Sims/Turner/Johnson 

Adams, Meyers, Renfrow, Carter, Cole, Mims(STs)

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

theyve addressed needs in FA. QB, CB, WR, S, LB, TE, DL depth. I think they are banking on some young guys to develop and take another step. Draft and develop. WIth that being said, they need to nail the draft.

One thing to consider is that with these lower end deals, we wont be having much dead cap moving forward. That might be playing into it, cleaning the books while building through the draft and signing low risk high reward type players. 

WR wasn't a huge need and that's where they've been most invested. QB/TE weren't needs coming into the off-season, they created those holes and then filled them. CB seems to be a wash at best at this point letting Rock walk and replacing him with a bunch of minimum guys that haven't ever been in full time roles. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

It’s obvious all these WRs we signed aren’t making the team w/exception of Meyers. Unless we trade Renfrow, Only 3 are making it

Dorsett/Cole/Carter/Sims/Turner/Johnson 

Adams/Renfrow/Meyers/Dorsett/Sims/Carter

A legit 4.2 guy, a big bodied possession guy, and a dynamic slot guy behind our main 3.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

WR wasn't a huge need and that's where they've been most invested. QB/TE weren't needs coming into the off-season, they created those holes and then filled them. CB seems to be a wash at best at this point letting Rock walk and replacing him with a bunch of minimum guys that haven't ever been in full time roles. 

Meyers contract is actually pretty good, so I have no problem with that and the rest are negligible. There has to be a reason Rock is still available, either he’s asking for too much or he’s not healthy yet. Waller might come out to equal Meyers + Hopper+ 3rd round pick so I don’t hate it either, especially with his age/injuries.

• Like 1

Just now, Geezy said:

Meyers contract is actually pretty good, so I have no problem with that and the rest are negligible. There has to be a reason Rock is still available, either he’s asking for too much or he’s not healthy yet. Waller might come out to equal Meyers + Hopper+ 3rd round pick so I don’t hate it either, especially with his age/injuries.

Jimmy/Meyer's contracts are definitely fine from a value perspective but the new regime has made it clear that they're committed to investing major resources into the skill groups while taking a very lean approach to building the OL / defense. They created holes, filled them, added to the strongest group on the team, but really didn't bring in a single veteran OL and only camp bodies on the DL.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

WR2 was a big need. They got one, while getting a 3rd round pick for Waller. 

CB will be addressed in the draft as it's a deep class. Have good depth there with potential at the 2 spot, need a #1. 

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jimmy/Meyer's contracts are definitely fine from a value perspective but the new regime has made it clear that they're committed to investing major resources into the skill groups while taking a very lean approach to building the OL / defense. They created holes, filled them, added to the strongest group on the team, but really didn't bring in a single veteran OL and only camp bodies on the DL.

This can happen post draft. Still several serviceable options at Oline and Dline. No need to sign one before the draft. OG are relatively easy to grab in the draft day 3. Lots of Dline depth in the class.