Raiders sign WR DeAndre Carter (1 yr/$2.3M)

NYRaider

7 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Disagree. I think @big_palookais one of the few levelheaded posters on here. This board is a living representation of modern day outrage culture. We are literally 2 1/2 weeks into FA and 80% of the board is calling the offseason a complete failure. 

Do the Raiders have much money left. No they don’t, don’t white wash stuff.  Every media outlet has the Raiders as one of the worst  teams in FA. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bitty 2.0 said:

Do the Raiders have much money left. No they don’t, don’t white wash stuff.  Every media outlet has the Raiders as one of the worst  teams in FA. 

You can't judge them because they might be able to draft guys at positions of need and if they can't then they may be able to sign veterans that get cut elsewhere. They're playing chess, the rest of the league is playing checkers.

1 minute ago, Raiderlife24 said:

Lol NY you're a Goof. It is hard to take you serious most of the time but you can be funny. 

Mark Davis hiring practices honestly give me hope. Mike Mayock was a commercial real estate agent with zero NFL front office experience and somehow became our GM. Dave Ziegler was a HS guidance counselor and was able to become our GM as well. Me becoming the Raiders next GM is not out of the realm of possibilities. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Still wouldn’t rule out a Renfrow trade during the draft. Very mid draft class could maybe see him getting shipped out to a team in need 

Only the Raiders would pay out a 4.32M roster bonus and then trade a guy like Renfrow BEFORE June 1st.  After paying the roster bonus, if we trade Renfrow before June 1st we eat 11.664M in dead cap and only save 1.462M.  I Hate pushing money to the next year but that seems like a Better scenario for us given how little cap space remains:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/hunter-renfrow-29197/

1st…. We overpaid Renfrow, I said it when he signed that deal.  16M APY was just way way too much.  It should Have been 11M At best.  Plus, we of course did a poor job structuring the deal with 9M+ As a signing bonus AND 2 void years.  Even if he plays out the contract it’s a near 4M dead cap hit the next year.    When you do deals like that a few times thats exactly why we have 30m in dead cap.  Aside from contracts like Crosby’s, we really should be able to get out of the deal after half of it has past with a minimal cap hit.  And I love Renfrow, this isn’t an attack on him.  It’s about the FO at the time making a bad deal from the jump.  Who was going to Offer Renfrow 17/18M and steal him away.  Yes, he’s a very talented route runner but the size will always be a durability threat.

• Like 2

While I like adding Deandre Carter to the team, I really don’t like paying him 2.3M.  It’s not THAT much money, it’s just we have so many other holes to fill and the depth at WR is good enough already that I’d much much rather spend that 2.3M and maybe a little extra on the defense.  
This deal Isn’t as bad as paying Bolden similar money, but it feels like there are parallels.   

You gotta be able to fill out depth and special teams with mid to late round picks and if not then minimum salary veterans.  

And again, I was high on Carter when he came Here as a UDFA and thought he finally showed his potential last year and has the talent to even improve on last years production…. If he was on a roster where he Has more opportunities.  But unless you want Renfrow gone so bad you’ll trade him for what I’d guess is at best a 4th and eat 11.6M to only save 1.4M (and you paid Carter 2.3m) I don’t get the overall logic.  

So I’m happy he’s a Raider, im Just upset We’re not doing more to fill the roster with talent outside of WR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Even if we don’t make any big moves I really don’t care because I’m all for rebuilding and starting fresh. 2023 may be a tough year but I’m tired of mediocrity and ready to build a roster that can achieve sustainable success. A losing season should put us in a position to draft our QBOTF and compete long term.

Mayock and Gruden actually had the right idea with their rebuild vision, they just completely mismanaged the draft capital they got from trading Mack and Cooper. I’m all for Ziegler and JMD doing the same but hopefully making better use of their draft picks. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

JMD and DZ were both college receivers??? It's all starting to make sense now.

No way JMD was a college WR.  Have you seen that guys block head?  It’s like seriously it reminds me of my buddies prize winning American Bully.  That’a the type of face meant for a FB to slam head first into a MLB.  

(seriously he did somehow play WR “primarily” per Wikipedia) 

on a serious note, JMD has got to be on the Joe Rogan TRT diet.  Look at his early days photos compared to lately.  The guys head has doubled in size.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Even if we don’t make any big moves I really don’t care because I’m all for rebuilding and starting fresh. 2023 may be a tough year but I’m tired of mediocrity and ready to build a roster that can achieve sustainable success. A losing season should put us in a position to draft our QBOTF and compete long term.

Mayock and Gruden actually had the right idea with their rebuild vision, they just completely mismanaged the draft capital they got from trading Mack and Cooper. I’m all for Ziegler and JMD doing the same but hopefully making better use of their draft picks. 

I think Zeigs and JMD severely mismanaged the draft capital opportunity to rebuild that was obtainable from trading Carr and Waller; shouldn’t have traded for Adams given the rebuild; and should have traded Renfrow not resigned him to that 16M per deal given he’s not likely in their long term plans.

As I always say, 3 solid drafts in a row and a teams on its way to a successful rebuild.  Year 1 didn’t have a 1st and 2nd but the rest of the draft was very good.  If we can get very good drafts the next two years and have just solid and conservative free agent signings we’ll be well on our way.  Then in year 4 you make the moves to take you over the top.

sadly despite having the right idea initially, Gruden and Mayock didn’t just butcher the drafts…. They had horrible free agent signings year in and year out.  Some of the FA moves were probably just as bad as the draft busts.  And they weren’t even good ideas that didn’t work out, moves like Nassib, Littleton, etc were poor ideas from day 1.  

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

While I like adding Deandre Carter to the team, I really don’t like paying him 2.3M.  It’s not THAT much money, it’s just we have so many other holes to fill and the depth at WR is good enough already that I’d much much rather spend that 2.3M and maybe a little extra on the defense.  
This deal Isn’t as bad as paying Bolden similar money, but it feels like there are parallels.   

You gotta be able to fill out depth and special teams with mid to late round picks and if not then minimum salary veterans.  

And again, I was high on Carter when he came Here as a UDFA and thought he finally showed his potential last year and has the talent to even improve on last years production…. If he was on a roster where he Has more opportunities.  But unless you want Renfrow gone so bad you’ll trade him for what I’d guess is at best a 4th and eat 11.6M to only save 1.4M (and you paid Carter 2.3m) I don’t get the overall logic.  

So I’m happy he’s a Raider, im Just upset We’re not doing more to fill the roster with talent outside of WR.

Renfrow going nowhere and now doesn't have to return punts further risking injury 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think Zeigs and JMD severely mismanaged the draft capital opportunity to rebuild that was obtainable from trading Carr and Waller; shouldn’t have traded for Adams given the rebuild; and should have traded Renfrow not resigned him to that 16M per deal given he’s not likely in their long term plans.

As I always say, 3 solid drafts in a row and a teams on its way to a successful rebuild.  Year 1 didn’t have a 1st and 2nd but the rest of the draft was very good.  If we can get very good drafts the next two years and have just solid and conservative free agent signings we’ll be well on our way.  Then in year 4 you make the moves to take you over the top.

sadly despite having the right idea initially, Gruden and Mayock didn’t just butcher the drafts…. They had horrible free agent signings year in and year out.  Some of the FA moves were probably just as bad as the draft busts.  And they weren’t even good ideas that didn’t work out, moves like Nassib, Littleton, etc were poor ideas from day 1.  

Wait until DC has an MVP type of season. Then we will look like the biggest joke in the league

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

Wait until DC has an MVP type of season. Then we will look like the biggest joke in the league

I’m rooting for if!  I wouldn’t say MVP but I think he’ll do quite well.  

and I don’t think I’m being a “bad Raider fan or traitor”.  I think that after the course we’ve put ourselves on, we need to flat out fail so we can get new, better people in here and actually have a chance at success.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m rooting for if!  I wouldn’t say MVP but I think he’ll do quite well.  

and I don’t think I’m being a “bad Raider fan or traitor”.  I think that after the course we’ve put ourselves on, we need to flat out fail so we can get new, better people in here and actually have a chance at success.

I kinda want to go down to a game. New Orleans is a beautiful city.