My Lions' mock

dcat

Full 7 round GM draft.  I'm Lions' GM.

How do you like so far?  Suggestions for mid/later round needs would be greatly appreciated.  Quick question: For pick 55 I was torn between Avila and the toothless wonder Cody Mauch.  I went Avila but it was a coin flip.

6 1 6 1600 DET Lions Dcat Christian Gonzalez CB Oregon
18 1 18 900 DET Lions Dcat Bryan Bresee DT Clemson
48 2 17 410 DET Lions Dcat Luke Musgrave TE Oregon State
55 2 24 340 DET Lions Dcat Steve Avila OG TCU
81 3 18 180 DET Lions Dcat      
152 5 17 26.6 DET Lions Dcat      
183 6 6 13.8 DET Lions Dcat      
194 6 17 9.4 DET Lions Dcat      
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, dcat said:

How do you like so far?  Suggestions for mid/later round needs would be greatly appreciated.  Quick question: For pick 55 I was torn between Avila and the toothless wonder Cody Mauch.  I went Avila but it was a coin flip.

You certainly could have done a lot worse, so it's a good start. 

• Gonzalez: I like the player a lot. I think we'd need to get a better understanding of where the Lions see Cam Sutton and CJGJ playing. If Sutton is playing a lot outside then I imagine that Chauncy is going to be playing a ton in the slot and we'd have Tracy + Kerby on the back end. Assuming that Moseley is the guy he was in SF before his injury, I'm not sure where Gonzalez is going to start. You're not taking a guy at #6 if he's not going to start IMO. If you're ok with looking to the future and not needing immediate impact, then I do think a guy like Anthony Richardson can be brought into the equation. 
  • Bresee: I can absolutely see why we'd consider him, especially at 18. I'm not a huge fan of him as a prospect but there is some potential and it's a position of need. 
  • Musgrave: I like the player but I'm not 100% sure if this is a good use of assets based on how the Lions utilize their TE's. 
  • Avila: I like this a lot. Good pick
  • Like 1

Just now, Superduperman said:

If they take a TE in the first two rounds, I won't argue with it overly much but I'd rather see then take one in round 3 or later.

I love Musgrave in this draft as much as Kincaid or the slightly over rated Mayer.  I see an immense drop off after Kincaid, Musgrove, Mayer, and Washington.  He was there at 48 and the other 3 were already off the board.  It's my favorite pick so far of my picks.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

If they take a TE in the first two rounds, I won't argue with it overly much but I'd rather see then take one in round 3 or later.

I know there's TE depth in this draft, but I think a lot of TEs are going rounds 1-2 and not sure if a TE in round 3 is better than what we have. Guess it depends on who drops.

46 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You certainly could have done a lot worse, so it's a good start. 

• Gonzalez: I like the player a lot. I think we'd need to get a better understanding of where the Lions see Cam Sutton and CJGJ playing. If Sutton is playing a lot outside then I imagine that Chauncy is going to be playing a ton in the slot and we'd have Tracy + Kerby on the back end. Assuming that Moseley is the guy he was in SF before his injury, I'm not sure where Gonzalez is going to start. You're not taking a guy at #6 if he's not going to start IMO. If you're ok with looking to the future and not needing immediate impact, then I do think a guy like Anthony Richardson can be brought into the equation. 
  • Bresee: I can absolutely see why we'd consider him, especially at 18. I'm not a huge fan of him as a prospect but there is some potential and it's a position of need. 
  • Musgrave: I like the player but I'm not 100% sure if this is a good use of assets based on how the Lions utilize their TE's. 
  • Avila: I like this a lot. Good pick

I would have taken Carter at 6 but I was sniped by Seattle at 5.  Gonzalez will be your Sauce Gardner.  Down the road, you'll forget they ever drafted Okudah.  

Everything I studied, read, watched with a zillion diff't sources screamed IDL for you guys.  I tried a trade down at 18 as well but to no avail.  I too think Bresse is a bit overdrafted, but as we mostly do in these mocks, we focus on team needs.   Your fan forums, the same.  As I said, I was sniped by Seattle for Carter and there's a really ugly chance that his non football "issues" severely damage Carter's career so he is an unusual risk to take as high as 6 anyway.  Enjoy your Sauce Gardner.   And I predict that Musgrave will be the stud TE from this draft along with kincaid probably.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dcat said:

I would have taken Carter at 6 but I was sniped by Seattle at 5.  Gonzalez will be your Sauce Gardner.  Down the road, you'll forget they ever drafted Okudah.  

Everything I studied, read, watched with a zillion diff't sources screamed IDL for you guys.  I tried a trade down at 18 as well but to no avail.  I too think Bresse is a bit overdrafted, but as we mostly do in these mocks, we focus on team needs.   Your fan forums, the same.  As I said, I was sniped by Seattle for Carter and there's a really ugly chance that his non football "issues" severely damage Carter's career so he is an unusual risk to take as high as 6 anyway.  Enjoy your Sauce Gardner.   And I predict that Musgrave will be the stud TE from this draft along with kincaid probably.

I think the body cam footage of the traffic incident raises too many questions for the Lions to consider taking Jalen Carter.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dcat said:

I'll parrot what most are saying: I like all the picks but think that's too high for Bresee. I have a hard time taking him over Cancey, assuming you did, or just waiting until round 2/3. If an OL like Jones or Johnson is there at 18, that's who I grab. If Witherspoon is there, I'd grab him even with Gonzalez. I'd take Nolan Smith at 18 over Bresee, as well as any top WR on the board for Detroit if they love a guy. I don't see the board, though, so there's that.

I like the Musgrave pick, and I feel the same way with Avila that it would probably be a tossup with some other guys there but reasonable value. 

I also wouldn't hate Richardson at 6 if he's there and then possibly a trade-up for whoever makes it past 10-12 or so between Gonzalez and Witherspoon. But I also don't think this is the year to grab a QB unless they see a franchise guy at 6.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 9:08 AM, dcat said:

If you're looking for other positions to take,

ILB - We just resigned Alex Anzalone to a 3 year deal. Maybe it's in the mold of Derek Carr and it can be a 1 year deal, 2 year deal with option or a true 3 year deal (unlikely). Malcolm Rodriguez was a complete draft steal in the 6th round. I'd pencil him in as a starter alongside AA. Derrick Barnes hasn't shown a ton to me but the Lions seem to like him. I'd be looking to add someone (Jack Campbell is on my Lions Sears catalogue wish list) in rounds 3-5. The Lions don't seem to place a ton of value on the position (AA was a lower tier FA; Barnes is a 5th rounder; Rodrigo is a 6th rounder). 

WR - We should be looking to add a bigger body guy that can develop and take over the X for Marvin Jones (eventually). He'd probably bump someone like Cephus as WR5 or WR6. If he can pull a Rodrigo, he'd be bumping Josh Reynolds' position and getting a bit more playing time with an eye on a starting gig next year. 

QB - We're going to need to address a developmental back up QB at some point. 

RB - We just signed David Montgomery but D'Andre Swift is likely on his way out as a Lion next year. We should be adding a bigger body guy that can do a lot of DM type things as a consistent chain mover. I'd also be open to adding more of a third down, receiving back to eventually take over for Swift

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If you're looking for other positions to take,

ILB - We just resigned Alex Anzalone to a 3 year deal. Maybe it's in the mold of Derek Carr and it can be a 1 year deal, 2 year deal with option or a true 3 year deal (unlikely). Malcolm Rodriguez was a complete draft steal in the 6th round. I'd pencil him in as a starter alongside AA. Derrick Barnes hasn't shown a ton to me but the Lions seem to like him. I'd be looking to add someone (Jack Campbell is on my Lions Sears catalogue wish list) in rounds 3-5. The Lions don't seem to place a ton of value on the position (AA was a lower tier FA; Barnes is a 5th rounder; Rodrigo is a 6th rounder). 

WR - We should be looking to add a bigger body guy that can develop and take over the X for Marvin Jones (eventually). He'd probably bump someone like Cephus as WR5 or WR6. If he can pull a Rodrigo, he'd be bumping Josh Reynolds' position and getting a bit more playing time with an eye on a starting gig next year. 

QB - We're going to need to address a developmental back up QB at some point. 

RB - We just signed David Montgomery but D'Andre Swift is likely on his way out as a Lion next year. We should be adding a bigger body guy that can do a lot of DM type things as a consistent chain mover. I'd also be open to adding more of a third down, receiving back to eventually take over for Swift

Mingo at WR?

McKee for develop QB?  Those were my thoughts for the next pick. 

Leaning mcKee.  I see Goff is signed thru '24 and then is a UFA at age 31.  Even if Lions extend and restructure, I'd still want somene developmental and not just Sudfeld (who isn't really NFL quality).   Although Mingo just has a terrific ceiling.

2 minutes ago, dcat said:

Mingo at WR?

Leaning mcKee.  I see Goff is signed thru '24 and then is a UFA at age 31.  Even if Lions extend and restructure, I'd still want somene developmental and not just Sudfeld (who isn't really NFL quality).   Although Mingo just has a terrific ceiling.

Trey Palmer or AT Perry seem like reasonable targets.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dcat said:

Mingo at WR?

I like both players there.

• Like 1

Christian Gonzalez was my choice before Holmes acquired two [albeit bottom end] CB1s in free agency.  Change that pick to a big edger (Wilson or Murphy) and I'd be delighted with your first four picks.

FWIW, at #81 I'd be taking a hard look at WR3 A.T. Perry.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc
  • Like 1

81 3 18 180 DET Lions Dcat Tanner McKee QB Stanford

OK.  It's McKee here. 

As we saw last season, Lions have a young and exciting offense for Goff, who is a solid QB most of the time.  He's under contract for '23 & '24.  He'll be 31 then.  But is Goff your QB beyond that?  Do Lions extend him?    I don't think anyone knows and you couldn't answer "yes" with much confidence.  Nate Sudfeld who is not NFL caliber (he was a Jet for a while) is on a 1 yr contract so he and McKee can hold the clipboards this year.  And even if Goff takes off and becomes more than a hold-the-fort QB, then McKee's rookie deal could make him an inexpensive good backup who could conceivably have trade value for the Lions.   Yeah I know it doesn't change much for 2023, but this is for the bigger picture.  Having him also gives the Lions a little leverage if negotiating an extension with Goff.   

Plus, McKee is undervalued IMHO. Some have rated a lot higher than the consensus.  I like his pocket passer style, his size and arm strength.  And I don't particularly care for the rest of the QB field after him.  That's it until rd 5. See you then.

Edited by dcat