Around the NFL: 2023

GW21

1 minute ago, adamq said:

They have to either go pay for Jacoby Brissett or basically give up.. you can't roll with Nick Mullens. Maybe a Wentz landing spot?

Jarren Hall is the backup, I'm pretty sure. I think Wentz would make sense. 

Or they just rip the band-aid off and sell

12 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Lord, Davante absolutely shook his guy and Jimmy misses him by a mile. I don’t miss that.

With every passing game, it gets more unbelievable that we went to a super bowl with that guy. 

And almost won it lol

• Like 4

On 10/31/2023 at 11:08 AM, GW21 said:

Lord, Davante absolutely shook his guy and Jimmy misses him by a mile. I don’t miss that.

Well....

*checks notes*

We've had this year in the Rams game. That was pretty hideous. I think it was three deep missed shots in one game. So far it seems like an aberration, but I'd have to have someone check the metrics on deep connected throws this year, and where it stands among the rest of the league. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

41 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Well....

*checks notes*

We've had this year in the Rams game. That was pretty hideous. I think it was three deep missed shots in one game. So far it seems like an aberration, but I'd have to have someone check the metrics on deep connected throws this year, and where it stands among the rest of the league. 

Purdy was like second in big time throw rate and among the leaders in passer rating of throws 20+ yards downfield. He's made legit plays. The big things are the massive negative plays. He's right around the top in turnover worthy play rate and almost all of that is legit at this point.

There have been a couple that have felt like either just missing with a throw thing or just missing a defender's location (pick v Browns, first pick v Vikings, second pick v Bengals). Those to me he throws regardless of context as just a part of who he is. Two have felt to me like those Josh Allen picks from earlier in the season where he's just trying to do too much and make a play that isn't there in a critical situation rather than trying to have another down (second pick v Vikings, first pick v Bengals). These feel like context picks where he does the right thing most of the time and then tries to Brett Favre too hard because of the pressure of the situation. I think both the turnover rate and the big time play rates will level out and he'll more to (a very good) expectation rather than the supernova he was to start the year or this recent difficulty.

It would also help the whole team if we could actually run the ball again. The last couple of games, we were only scoring 30 if Purdy threw for 300 yards and carried the offensive hard. Plus, Aiyuk's drop off has really hurt given that Deebo is out. Aiyuk's made a couple of brutal drops over the course of the losing streak when he was snagging literally everything to start the year.

• Like 3

Coach ain't wrong obviously, but when I hear this I picture Burrow escaping outside and completing another pass or running for a first down up the middle. 

Our guys in SF need to finish. Pressures aren't enough. Sacks are guaranteed negative plays. 49ers could use a truckload of those in the defense's favor right about now. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Coach ain't wrong obviously, but when I hear this I picture Burrow escaping outside and completing another pass or running for a first down up the middle. 

Our guys in SF need to finish. Pressures aren't enough. Sacks are guaranteed negative plays. 49ers could use a truckload of those in the defense's favor right about now. 

I think sacks are overrated for interior guys. Edge players can still be productive and efficient as far as win rate and pressures w/o the gaudy sack totals. But you generally need those guys to close the deal on their one-on-ones. Unless they're funnelling sacks to the opposite end & your interior guys, just by the help and attention the offense is prioritizing to neutralize them.