Around the NFL: 2023

GW21

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It goes without saying that any team can beat someone on why given day, but I'm just going to say that if the niners don't come out of nfc it's kind of a colossal failure

It feels like we're either going on an '89 or '94 style dominant run or getting bounced unexpectedly in the first round due to some oddness like the superb '87 team. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

It feels like we're either going on an '89 or '94 style dominant run or getting bounced unexpectedly in the first round due to some oddness like the superb '87 team. 

The narrative around shanny if this goes the 87 way will be epic

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

The narrative around shanny if this goes the 87 way will be epic

I mean, Walsh nearly lost his job after '87.

The thing is - Shanahan's over performed a touch in the playoffs so far. 2019 was a very good team and the best team in the NFC, but the statistically all-decade great Ravens got bounced in the first round and the Patriots likewise. In 2021, they took out what probably were two of the best three teams in the NFL on their own ground with a team that was playing well, but had only been a step or two above average for the season. Last year, they went through an excellent Cowboys team on their way to the Eagles and the Purdy injury. That team during the Purdy period was a championship caliber team. This team is pretty clearly the best team we've had even with the defensive regression.

But, like, it took the '99 Rams and their absolutely monster team down to the last play to win both their last two games. The '07 Patriots famously lost. Teams this great often blast their way through, but you remember it when they don't.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Big time drive for the Cowboys to finally take the lead. Let's see if Tua can get it done in the clutch. Hasn't for the most part all season. Lose and the Bills likely win the division. 

Got it done. Cowboys will be the 5th seed and that was likely even with a win. 

Bucs vs Cowboys once again in the WC round.

Unless the Rams upset the Lions, we will be playing the Cowboys again in the divisional round. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Unless the Rams upset the Lions, we will be playing the Cowboys again in the divisional round. 

Dallas can still play ball. I do think that Dak under pressure drops off more than your average guy, but they'll score points on us and their defense is legit. Fumbling on the 1 yard line tends to depress your score. I still think Dallas is one of like 4or 5 teams that can expect to hang without a nuts outlier performance (from either conference)

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bucs are playing well. I'm not going to lock that in any more, tbh. I want to give the bucs some flowers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Dallas can still play ball. I do think that Dak under pressure drops off more than your average guy, but they'll score points on us and their defense is legit. Fumbling on the 1 yard line tends to depress your score. I still think Dallas is one of like 4or 5 teams that can expect to hang without a nuts outlier performance (from either conference)

For sure, they competed well today and it was just a good game by two good teams. Both are contenders to make the SB. 

I feel like the Cowboys offense can use more creativity at times but Dak is playing at an high level and they will move the ball. The run game is a problem though, super inconsistent. 

They can give us a game but we will be a decent favorite over them. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Bucs are playing well. I'm not going to lock that in any more, tbh. I want to give the bucs some flowers

Bucs > Cowboys, Lions > Rams, Eagles > Seahawks

49ers > Bucs, Lions > Eagles

49ers > Lions

49ers > Chiefs in the SB

My NFC/SB prediction

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I mean they are playing well but the Cowboys should be a good favorite in that game. Our win over the Bucs looks good right now. Wasn't all that easy of a win either. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean they are playing well but the Cowboys should be a good favorite in that game. Our win over the Bucs looks good right now. Wasn't all that easy of a win either. 

Ill be curious what the line is. Last year it was only Dallas -2.5. this year I think they are closer, but that line should have been much higher last year if we are being honest

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ill be curious what the line is. Last year it was only Dallas -2.5. this year I think they are closer, but that line should have been much higher last year if we are being honest

That line was all vibes - Tom Brady on one side and Dak's recent wet fart game against Washington felt bad for Dallas. I thought the various models I follow made it pretty clear that Dallas needed to be at least a 4 point favorite, even on the road, but sometimes the public leans hard.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but that was just due to Brady being on the other side. Nothing about the Bucs last season showed they could win that game. 

Teams currently with a winning record that we beat this season: 

Seahawks (2x)

Eagles

Cowboys 

Bucs

Rams

Jags

Steelers

Lost to the Browns and Bengals who currently have a winning record and the Vikings fell below that mark today. 

8-2 vs .500 or better teams

3-1 vs below .500 teams 

Our current SOS still isn't even top 10 I believe? Not sure how when we have played nothing but winning teams for the most part.