TABT - HuskieBear Edition

Ty21

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This day is just kicking my butt at work.

I had a 7:30 a.m. meeting this morning.  I am giving the message tonight at church for youth group and won't be home until 9:30 or 10 p.m. 

2 attorneys got things wrong on other side of deals and I had to fix them to keep things moving. 

I had make a special kind of LLC for my wife that I found out you can't register for online with state.  

Then a closer tells me a POA signed 10 years ago that the title company already approved more than a week ago is no good and wants me to fix it somehow 20 minutes before closing starts.  

Thankfully I came up with some solutions.   But aggravating none the less.  

Plus a whole number of other things.  

Stress comes when you are busy.   Whole different kind of stress when you aren't.

I am grateful for first one this month.  Still.  Whew.  Feels like I have been working 15 hours already today.

Running your own show adds to it, doesn't it?  I found that I could always handle 3-4 screwups per day, but at busy times of the year they get a lot higher than that just based on volume and you have to full burn to fix it, or worse, you have to decide what to let fail.  You've got the added pressure of running the business side of things which is distracting especially early.  I will say your "oh ****" threshold goes up with years, as even though I think you've been lawing for a long time, when it's your own plane in the air everything is a little more urgent.  Hang in there man. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Running your own show adds to it, doesn't it?  I found that I could always handle 3-4 screwups per day, but at busy times of the year they get a lot higher than that just based on volume and you have to full burn to fix it, or worse, you have to decide what to let fail.  You've got the added pressure of running the business side of things which is distracting especially early.  I will say your "oh ****" threshold goes up with years, as even though I think you've been lawing for a long time, when it's your own plane in the air everything is a little more urgent.  Hang in there man. 

You know it brother.  I am not a new attorney, but I am new to running a business.  

It is constant with this or that regulatory body and registering with this org. or that org. or paying this or that to this or that govt. agency.   

And I am not a CPA.   So I have to learn that end of things too.  

Tricky part is knowing when do I hire some.   I don't have enough work to justify paying someone yet. 

Some months are super busy, some aren't as much.  I don't want to have to let anyone go.  For now I can handle it myself if I work hard.   Just some long days sometimes.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You know it brother.  I am not a new attorney, but I am new to running a business.  

It is constant with this or that regulatory body and registering with this org. or that org. or paying this or that to this or that govt. agency.   

And I am not a CPA.   So I have to learn that end of things too.  

Tricky part is knowing when do I hire some.   I don't have enough work to justify paying someone yet. 

Some months are super busy, some aren't as much.  I don't want to have to let anyone go.  For now I can handle it myself if I work hard.   Just some long days sometimes.

If I could just do what people think of as my "job" all day I would be happy enough to do it for free. It's the bookkeeping, the constantly evolving banking and software headaches, all the ******* forms and boring *** **** like your garbage pickup contract that gets you. 

As to hiring people,  certainly we're in different industries but every time I"ve been nervous to hire someone for cost flow reasons it's ended up working out that they bring in enough money or lighten my load to go do more important **** enough that they pay for themselves.  Lots of people haven't worked out for all kinds of reasons, but just to give you my perspective I've always had enough  for them to do to make it worthwhile, when I've been on the fence.  Even if you're just not wasting an hour at the bank it can be worth it.  Good luck, its' a hard road to cross. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

If I could just do what people think of as my "job" all day I would be happy enough to do it for free. It's the bookkeeping, the constantly evolving banking and software headaches, all the ******* forms and boring *** **** like your garbage pickup contract that gets you. 

As to hiring people,  certainly we're in different industries but every time I"ve been nervous to hire someone for cost flow reasons it's ended up working out that they bring in enough money or lighten my load to go do more important **** enough that they pay for themselves.  Lots of people haven't worked out for all kinds of reasons, but just to give you my perspective I've always had enough  for them to do to make it worthwhile, when I've been on the fence.  Even if you're just not wasting an hour at the bank it can be worth it.  Good luck, its' a hard road to cross. 

This is wise and true.   It is still a difficult call as I am sole support my wife and kids and as everyone knows household expenses have gone through roof in last few years with inflation.  

She is less of a risk taker than me and is very apprehensive about me taking on an employee and adding another fixed expense.   

But I am growing and if I am going to stay solo (other people want to hire me to join their firm) I will need to hire someone at some point to help out.   

Then I likely have to train them.   Going to be a lot of extra time as well.  

Funny thing is I really should have done all this years ago.   The years I spent obsessed with football coaching held back my career. 

For a long time I really just wanted a simple as possible 9-5 and to go home ASAP and do things I enjoyed.  Which at time was mostly football coaching.  

Oh well.  Things play out the way they do for a reason.  Everything in Gods timing.  

Thanks for advise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This is wise and true.   It is still a difficult call as I am sole support my wife and kids and as everyone knows household expenses have gone through roof in last few years with inflation.  

She is less of a risk taker than me and is very apprehensive about me taking on an employee and adding another fixed expense.   

But I am growing and if I am going to stay solo (other people want to hire me to join their firm) I will need to hire someone at some point to help out.   

Then I likely have to train them.   Going to be a lot of extra time as well.  

Funny thing is I really should have done all this years ago.   The years I spent obsessed with football coaching held back my career. 

For a long time I really just wanted a simple as possible 9-5 and to go home ASAP and do things I enjoyed.  Which at time was mostly football coaching.  

Oh well.  Things play out the way they do for a reason.  Everything in Gods timing.  

Thanks for advise.

I'm not really qualified to give life or professional advice, but mostly want to contribute what I can from being similar places, I think you'll make good decisions. 

For me it was kind of hard when my wife wanted to work part time once we had kids, and the pay cut was 50% for doing like 20% less work for her, so it was definitely a lot of pressure to keep things rolling/growing at home while wanting to be home with the kids and still building up a business.  Worked out OK and now she's back full time and I'm able to take more risks at work as well as **** off and go windsurfing like today.

I really feel like people (myself included) are scared to take moderate risks* that have moderate-big rewards.  I think a lot of it comes from seeing failure before it happens. I still feel the best path to success is to have really rich parents but it's hard to make that happen after the fact. 

*Learned my limits this week, as well of those of a Wisconsin beach, doing windsurfing,  and sent it a littl;e hard and a little close to shore that ended in a massive crash.  I got up with something sharp and bloody in mouth and had absolute panic I'd knocked out a grown-up tooth.  Took forever to sort through it all before I realized it was actually a zebra mussel shell, and I had crashed so hard my helmet, face, and mouth were all full of sand from hitting the bottom of the lake fairly quickly. Don't do that but do the good risks. Don't hit Wisconsin, but do trust yourself to make good hires and use them wisely. Avoid WI. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What a week at work.

It isn't public info, but it isn't a secret either.   Fidelity got hacked.   I am not sure if financial part got hacked, but all the title companies they own, and they own a lot of them, are down and have been since last Mon before Thanksgiving.  

Screwed up a lot of closings.   They keep telling me when I call they will be back online tomorrow and each day they aren't.

They have no communications other than phone.  I bet you they have a ransom demand.  But I don't know that.

It's too bad that so many people suddenly think stealing is okay.  It effects a lot of people.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

t's too bad that so many people suddenly think stealing is okay.  It effects a lot of people.  

Desperation makes people do things that they wouldn't otherwise be willing to do. May or may not be the case here, but the simple fact is with the way society is headed (widespread corporate greed combined with increasing inflation, stagnant wages) we are going to see a lot more of this.

My son got 2nd Team All Tourney. His teammate got 1st team. What makes this funny? My boy led the team in points, rebounds, blocks and assists. He got the 2nd most points in the tournament and most assists, 5th in blocks and was i think 9th in rebounds. They're both guards so they were competing for the same spot on the teams too.

The other kid takes his "gold" medal and compares it to my son's "silver" one and (jokingly) says, "This just shows I'm better than you, or they hate your dad." Lmao. OK you little jackass. He may be right.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Someone has to explain how to do these AI photos to me or what best App is.   In small words.

Google “bing ai image generator.”  Pretty self-explainable once there.  Type whatever the hell you want and see what it comes up with.  Bing has a pretty strict content filter though.  I’m not to familiar with other generators whose filters aren’t as restrictive.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:28 AM, CBears019 said:

Google “bing ai image generator.”  Pretty self-explainable once there.  Type whatever the hell you want and see what it comes up with.  Bing has a pretty strict content filter though.  I’m not to familiar with other generators whose filters aren’t as restrictive.

I went to try it and it said we are too busy try again later.
LOL